Lenovo introduces new Yoga models with 'AnyPen' technology

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by surfaceproartist, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

At least the Toshiba pen seems to have 2 buttons:
    Toshiba Encore 2 Write Pen.jpg
    No eraser but this has become generally very rare...
    Now that's also my question, does it use the same driver/driver functionality the classic wacom tech has? But since it's also market as 'Wacom Feel' I think yes.

2. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Um, it registers 'carrot' as well, apparently, so I'm assuming that palm rejection is not a feature...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  3. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I guess that's another question to ask in the Lenovo forums: do all Yoga 14 and 15 models have the required components to support the ActivePen. Given that it's supposed to be a cheaper technology, I can imagine that it's built into all Yoga 14 and Yoga 15 units. They might just not include the pen in the box. Maybe the BestBuy Yoga 14 even supports the ActivePen? Wishful thinking..

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

These hardware manufacturers do us no favors by using the same names for all these different varieties and generations of machines.

NotBatman, ibmthink and JoeS like this.
  6. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

I think the real idea of AnyPen is the convenience. Say you're using your tablet on the go and want to make a drawing. You can grab a pen or pencil out of your bag, or borrow one from someone, and start drawing on your screen.

If you're setting out into a situation where you know you're going to be taking notes, you'd be better off with a dedicated stylus. Which means if you're someone who takes a lot of notes, you'd be batter off with a device that features pen support with all the bells and whistles.

7. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm kindof tempted to purchase one of those 8 inch Lenovo Tablet 2 8 with windows and anypen..... I almost pulled the trigger (they are available on the lenovo website right now. I have a Vivotab note 8, and I love it. but the screen quality is pretty bad and the resolution is blown out of the water by the Tablet2. I'm not an artist, but I do take a fair amount of notes. Anybody actually tried the Anypen stuff? I might be willing to give up pressure sensitivity if it still writes fairly well. (I tried the Dell synaptics pen (gen 2) and I wasn't very impressed). Any thoughts or people with hands on experience?

8. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No chance to get pressure sensitivity with AnyPen. Neither hover, nor palm rejection.

But it could be convenient, I agree.

9. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Guys I have had some hands on time with the anypen technology... here is a no BS look at the technology:

Also if you want, my Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 with Windows review:

soh5 and JoeS like this.
  10. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No palm rejection? Well, that's AnyPen technology crossed off my list then...

yéyé likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.