Lenovo introduces new Yoga models with 'AnyPen' technology

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by surfaceproartist, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Um.., What?

All of that sounds suspiciously like N-Trig technology.

The only indicator that its NOT N-Trig is that the Lenovo forum mod tells us, "It is in fact Wacom".

I sincerely hope his source is not mistaken!

But that would mean Wacom has been developing new stylus tech without anybody catching a whisper of it. -Which I suppose is possible. The Wacom elves have indeed been busy, developing in secret their new 27" Cintiq and pixel-dense Companion 2, and becoming much more price-competitive. Why not ape some N-Trig technology to deal with old problems, (edge-accuracy and slow-drawing wobbles)?

Damn. This just got interesting!

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Shhh.. speak quietly, or Mesosphere is going to barge in here and tell us that this is Old News.

More information and proof that this new tech was in fact uncovered a couple of months ago here.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

The Thinkpad Yoga 14 & 15 are sounding like they are the first convertible devices with decent graphic-power + (good) active digitizer + docking station!
    Have been waiting for ages for such a config. Though I'm not really a fan of the 'yoga' convertible design.

The 14" version also has a nice size/screensize factor. It's even a bit smaller than my 13.3" T902.

Now it would be interesting to know if all the new Wacom ActivePen's are compatible with each other and if they have the same driver functionality like the classic Wacom tech.
    If it's the same as on the Toshiba Encore 2 Write it should offer 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity, no parallax and fast tracking :)
    Edge-accuracy is maybe also much better now, though I havn't seen a demo yet.
    Here is a video with the Toshiba Encore 2 Write:

4. thatcomicsguy

Oh my..!

Could this be.., love?

That new Wacom tech looks *beautiful*!

I wouldn't mind returning to batteries if we get Wacom's stylus clarity and action combined with further refinements, such as full edge accuracy.

Here's the problem...

I suspect that by the time the Yoga 15 is equipped up to respectable power and memory, it may be only a few hundred bucks shy of the $2300 27" Cintiq, OR a 24" Cintiq once they start hitting eBay in response to the new 27".

So do you drop all your money on a desk mounted machine, or do you go with a portable Yoga?

Puzzler. (Or am I getting ahead of things here? Perhaps wait for the reviews to start trickling out...)

EDIT********

Yes. Apparently, wait for the reviews: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...e-wacom-feel-it-penabled-emr-digitizer.65090/

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  5. JoeS

I'm very curious how good this really is. It can't be perfect, otherwise they wouldn't have kept the original Wacom in the Yoga 12, right? I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.

By the way, I can't figure out why these aren't rechargeable with a silo that acts as a charger. It's not like the 14 and the 15 don't have enough room for a silo!

6. thatcomicsguy

Nothing is ever simple.

There are always unforeseen wrinkles and new avenues to explore. That's what makes it interesting.

What a news week for TPCers, eh?

JoeS likes this.
  7. JoeS

I know, I can't keep up!!

8. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep!

One downside seems to be the distance after the stylus is recognized :( (1:58 in the vid)

Edge-accuracy seems to be a bit improved but still not as good as N-Trig.

9. thatcomicsguy

Ick.

We'll have to see what Lenovo does with this.

U2 lyrics come to mind...

"Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"

10. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Im assuming since it only registers graphite or metal, it technically could have "palm rejection"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.