Lenovo introduces new Yoga models with 'AnyPen' technology

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by surfaceproartist, Jan 5, 2015.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

....this is Horriable News...

Of all the OEMs....Lenovo has been one of...it not our most reliable provider of Wacom Digitizers. Aside from the original Thinkpad Tablet.....Lenovo has always stuck with Wacom. This new AnyPen Tech is a huge monkey wrench in Lenovo's reliable use of Wacom. This could mean that further models like the Thinkpad Tablet 4 or the Helix 3 might ditch wacom for this cheap gimmick.

Frankly this "AnyPen" Tech just seems like a fancy way of saying they jumped ship to Resistive Touch screens instead of Capacitive. Their use of common objects to register input on the screen looks no different from my old Asus t91 where you could use almost anything as a makeshaft pen.

And what is this screen made of? Even Gorrillia Glass can get scratches......but to use metal pen....pencils.....and the edges of USB keys.....not only with the screen get dirty, its also gonna get broken. This just seems like a huge Train Wreck in the making.

2. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

15 inch model looks thick and has a lot of vents. I wonder - is it possible they put quad core CPU there? Paired with N-trig (I hope new pen is N-trig) it could be a great machine.

3. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@darkmagistric:
    Keep calm, this AnyPen is only introduced in the 8" model, because people asked for pen input and they didn't want to redesign everything.
    I really like the idea that you can have cheap peninput like this.

There will always be the more expensive option of a real digitizer.

@Allarih:
    As intel hasn't introduced a quadcore this is not possible (atm).

4. Bloody Nokia Adept

Bloody Nokia Adept Trackpoint Diehard

About AnyPen tech: (pro) I always dreamed to write on a tablet with my screw driver and (contra) I doubt is has palm rejection and thus it's better than nothing but it's far not as intelligent as active stylus with digitizer.

Here is a live demo:

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

So do we know the difference between ActivePen (Yoga 14 and 15?) and AnyPen (Yoga 2)?

For AnyPen I read "Any conductive object with a rounded metal or graphite point greater than 1mm in diameter can be used to write on screen."

As for ActivePen vs. Wacom, apparently there is a difference, but what it is is not clear to me. "Select ThinkPad YOGA models feature an optional ActivePen for convenient, accurate and precise handwriting. Ideal for productivity tasks like taking notes, sending emails or creating presentations, ActivePen closely mimicks a user’s actual handwriting on paper. The YOGA 12 continues to offer a digitizer/pen option that provides an internal garage for the "

So that's three pen solutions in one Lenovo device generation. Not confusing at all.

6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Requiring a stiff, pointed stylus should result in a digitizer which won't register a soft object (or body part) pressing against it --- I never worried about palm rejection on my Newton MessagePad.

7. Bloody Nokia Adept

Bloody Nokia Adept Trackpoint Diehard

I believe there are only two of them: Wacom & AnyPen -- the difference between Y12 and Y14/Y15 is the stylus compartment: former has it, latter do not. At least this is how I read those marketing materials.

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm not sure, I looked at a video where a Lenovo guy at the CES booth again stated that the 12 model had Wacom, and the 14 and 15 had 'activepen'. He made a point to differentiate, but didn't comment on any difference. See here.

In other news, the 15" model has a num keypad. Wild! :)

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

LOL... actually, this looks pretty interesting. You don't need a battery in those scissors and the line in OneNote actually looks pretty good.

10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I got tired of messing around and called Lenovo to ask what digitizer tech they were using in the new 15.5" Yoga.

The fellow told me that it's "slated to use Wacom", but he couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't change by the roll out date, (though he said he'd be very surprised if it did).

So there you go.