Lenovo introduces new Yoga models with 'AnyPen' technology

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by surfaceproartist, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. TruenoGT

TruenoGT Pen Pal - Newbie

Looking at the image gallery on this Engadget posting...

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/05/lenovo-yoga-3-11-14-thinkpad-yoga-12-14-15/

...it looks like at least the new 12" Thinkpad Yoga has the telltale red ended pen slotted in like a Thinkpad Tablet 2 or the current Thinkpad Yoga. Makes me optimistic that it's also the same Wacom tech which would be awesome in the 14 and 15" models, though I can't see a similar pen tip on images for those. It also appears that the 14 and 15" options have discreet graphics (840M) and the 15" has a numpad even! Could be a real power user's dream pen tablet... definitely keeping my eye on these.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Lenovo release definitely refers to the 14- and 15-inch's pen as "new ActivePen technology."

4. TruenoGT

TruenoGT Pen Pal - Newbie

Great, another mystery stylus tech... Wait and see I guess. The AnyPen option seems interesting, I wonder if it's similar to (or even a derivative of) what Nvidia did with the Tegra DirectStylus, i.e. a passive pen with a small tip and even limited pressure sensitivity.

God though, that photo on the top of your blog post with the metal nib tip approaching the screen... makes me want to shout NOOOOO!

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

As an aside, if Engadget got their info right these will be very competitively priced: "These too will go on sale this month, with prices starting at $685 for the 12, $749 for the 14 and $875 for the 15." Say what?

Edit: nah, SurfaceProArtist's blog lists more realistic sounding prices: "The ThinkPad YOGA 12-in and 15-in models will be available beginning in February starting at $999 and $1,199 via business partners and www.lenovo.com"

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I like the current Yoga 14, my only criticism being its lack of a pen. Looks like Lenovo is addressing that.

7. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator

I have a Y3P which is really nice, but I'm a TrackPoint user. The 12" TP looks mighty sweet to me.

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Another positive thing, the 12" (12.5"?) model went from 3.5lbs to less than 3.3 lbs. Still not my sub-3lbs tablet, but it's a small improvement.

Edit: the spec sheet lists the TP Yoga 12 as being 2.8 lbs, but unfortunately that doesn't match the 1.58kg written right next to that number. I guess we'll have to wait for Lenovo to fix all the errors / typos in their info.

http://news.lenovo.com/images/20034/Lenovo ThinkPad YOGA 12 14 15 Spec Sheet.pdf

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Still weight reduction to 3.3lbs isn't a bad things. Sure its not much, but hopefully this doesn't means battery life is the same as 9 hours of this would be perfect.

10. redviper

redviper Scribbler - Standard Member

I really hope someone with an interest in note taking will review the new yoga 2. That would make a good sized device for note taking and decent price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.