Lenovo introduces Miix 510 with lesser specs than Miix 700, but not fanless?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Shogmaster, Aug 3, 2016.

1. aceflor

aceflor Pen Pal - Newbie

Apparently no. Have you clicked on the link I posted earlier ? I am not an expert, you guys are, it seems to me that this is a Wacom Feel driver but as I do not have the device yet I cannot confirm nor infirm it. What is your opinion ?

In the hardware maintenance Manual for the device, page 69, it lists "Wacom ESP10110C5 D9.5 BK A Pen FAP TOUCHPEN. 5T70J33309" as the active pen. I don't know if this is significant....

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

*Sees this.*

Capture.JPG

*Ponders*

[​IMG]

*Concludes...*

[​IMG]

doobiedoobiedum and aceflor like this.
  3. aceflor

aceflor Pen Pal - Newbie

Now if only Lenovo would ship my order already....

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yep. That's a Feel driver. A newer version than one I have running in my Feel devices but older than what Wacom has at their Feel driver page...

EDIT: I just tried that driver on my Miix 700 it said no supported device. That would mean Miix 510 has a proper Wacom panel!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    aceflor likes this.
  5. aceflor

aceflor Pen Pal - Newbie

This is my guess too. I researched all this before ordering, and am hoping for the best. Will inform you when it gets here.

Edit: just received an email from Lenovo. It will be sent on Friday with UPS, and I expect it to arrive at the beginning of next week.

Edit 2 : Lenovo just sent it. It has a delivery date of Monday 7th.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    Shogmaster likes this.
  6. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

This is finally available in the U.S. at http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/lenovo/miix-series/miix_510/

$600 for:
    Ideapad Miix 510 - Silver
    Model 80U10066US
    6th Generation Intel® Core™ i3-6100U Processor (2.30 GHz 3MB)
    HD 520 graphics
    Windows 10 Home 64
    12.2" FHD+ IPS LED MultiTouch (1920x1200)
    Intel® HD Graphics 520
    4.0GB DDR4 2133 MHz
    128GB PCIe SSD
    Network Card
    Bluetooth Version 4.0
    One year Warranty
    Battery 2 Cell 39 Watt Hour Li-Polymer
    Backlit English Keyboard included

... looks nice compared to the Surface Pro 4 m3 I bought while waiting for this. And way cheaper too.

Resolution is lower, but at that screen size I don't see a problem.

I can't tell if it's fanless though which is why I picked the SP4m3. I'm guessing not, since the CPU has a higher TDP:
    http://ark.intel.com/compare/88198,88180

I also don't know how color accuracy compares between the two.

No SD card reader in the Miix 510, so no expansion of storage (other than hanging a USB SD reader or flash drive off the side).

7. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Art_N00b The Miix 510 is not fanless, instead, according to first reviews and reports, the fan is even always on (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Miix-510-Pro-80U10006GE-Convertible-Review.182408.0.html and http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/miix-510-owners.71163/#post-486544).
    The m3 in the SP4 is also very well performing for a Core m, Microsoft did a great job at the thermal engineering. I suspect you won't see a much better performance with the i3-U version.
    The one benefit of the Miix 510 is that you could open it and replace the SSD with a bigger one.
    Personally, if I had to choose between a SP4 m3 and a Miix 510 i3, I would choose the SP4.

8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I think this also has a smaller battery than the Mixx 700 if i remember correctly. The other thing is, the 510 is a 16:10 display vs the SP4(and Mixx 7x0 line), which has a 3:2 aspect ratio display. It could be an advantage depending on your preference.

9. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The difference in battery capacity itself is negligible, Miix 510 is 39Wh, Miix 7x0 is 41Wh. But according to Notebookcheck (who state 50Wh, which is likely just an error on their side), actual battery life on the 510 is worse than the 700. That 15W U-class CPU seems to take its toll on the battery the way Lenovo is managing it.

10. aceflor

aceflor Pen Pal - Newbie

I get between 7 and 8 hours on my 510. I don't know what the battery life on the 700 is, but for me 8 hours is good enough. I don't play games at all, I work, surf the web and watch some videos on it. I read the Notebookcheck test, and am surprised at them getting only 5 hours while surfing.

As I said in the other thread, I am pretty satisfied with my 510. I don't mind the resolution (it is more than good enough for me), I really like the keyboard (I just wish it was backlit), I don't like the trackpad. The inking with the Lenovo and or the Bamboo wacom works much better than it did on my HP x2 12 which had an Elan Display, I have not had once a problem with palm rejection or inking not being properly recognised. I write a lot with the pen so this is important to me.
    Of course I am comparing to the HP x2 which was a low range tablet, but everything is better, the speed, the inking, the keyboard, the built, the haptic.

It is sturdy and very well made, and I might get another one for my daughter for school. Just waiting for another special offer. For 630 € it was a very good deal.

kvoram likes this.