Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 900s

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Weight and size. I will be using the device to take notes all day. The tablet portion of the Surface Book clipboard is quite sub-par when it comes to battery life. Then it becomes a ~3.5 pound tablet, which I don't really see the point of. It's also a bigger footprint then I want to go with. I actually prefer the S3 size, but I like having a non-removal keyboard, just one less thing to deal with.

First impressions: Very nice build. Really light, pretty unbelievable we're at the point of 2.2 lb laptops. Screen is nice, hinge is smooth and rattles a little bit, but that's just the watchband hinge (first time using a Lenovo machine with one of these).

Keyboard travel is very shallow. I'm getting used to it already, but the keyboard cover for the ZC and Type Cover for S3 feels better than this. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's not the best, and I'm missing keys sometimes when I type.

Pen/digitizer activation is REALLY LOW. I think this may be the lowest I've used so far. Why is it so low? You seriously have to get right above the screen for the pen to register. This is Wacom AES right? It can't be like this on ThinkPad Yoga 260 and others?

I just tried it briefly in Windows Journal, but I'll get OneNote on this thing soon and see what it's like in that program.

Charging it up now and will get a better feel for battery life with BatteryBarPro. Let me know if there's anything else you guys want to see.

2. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

According to Surfaceproartist, the Miix 700 has an Elan touch panel (like the trackpad brand). The Miix 700 also has pretty terrible hover distance. It wouldn't surprise me if the 900S has the same type of panel and they're using the Wacom panels for their Thinkpad series.

3. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Disappointed with the inking experience of the 900s and will be selling it.

Used it for the first day of vet school and got incredibly annoyed at the insanely low hover distance of the pen. Many times throughout the day I was trying to write and it would send the display in a touch frenzy because it didn't pick up my pen and registered my palm.

Key travel is super shallow on the keyboard as well.

Screen is very nice as well as performance and battery life for school related tasks.

Bad move with the pen Lenovo.

4. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry to hear that. It's a shame they don't put the same pen technology in this $1200 laptop as they put in the Thinkpad line.

Is it too late to return it instead of having to sell it?