Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 900s

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lenovo Yoga 900S 12ISK Convertible Review
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Yoga-900S-12ISK-Convertible-Review.167687.0.html

Pro

+
    high quality glossy touchscreen; 1080p and 1440p options
    +
    very long battery life; high capacity battery
    +
    small and portable; only 1 kg in weight
    +
    accessible internals; upgradeable SSD
    +
    good build quality
    +
    completely silent
    +
    USB Type-C port

Cons

-
    average NVMe SSD performance
    -
    no SD reader or WWAN options
    -
    unimpressive stereo speakers
    -
    CPU and GPU throttling
    -
    very shallow key travel
    -
    pricey

Verdict

It's hard to not like the Yoga 900S at first glance. It's attractive, silent, long-lasting, and incredibly easy to pick up and play when indoors or on-the-go. Workmanship and quality are solid and worthy of the flagship Yoga 900 name. In this sense, it's one of the most accessible and hassle-free convertibles available.

The main drawbacks preventing us from giving a full recommendation are its keyboard and throttling performance. Results from benchmarks and games reveal that owners will not be getting the full performance out of the CPU when compared to systems with the same Intel processor and graphics. Users who intend to do no more than word processing, browsing, and video playback will likely not notice, but we do feel that users should have access to every bit of processing power possible especially when considering that raw performance from a Core m series CPU is already quite limited. Meanwhile, the keyboard can feel far too shallow and soft for users accustomed to desktop setups or even when compared to most Ultrabooks currently available.

Otherwise, there's little else to complain about the system. The lack of a dedicated video-out port, built-in stylus, SD reader, and Thunderbolt 3 port are somewhat smaller nitpicks. Extra features like NFC or GPS would have made the system even more versatile. As it stands, however, the $1000+ Yoga 900S is about as pricey as some more powerful and popular Ultrabooks like the XPS 13, ZenBook UX303, or Spectre, so readers who are considering the Lenovo will have to see tremendous benefits in its touchscreen and 360-degree hinge over said alternatives.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

2. Leo M

Leo M Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone else tried this one out in the meantime and can report on the typing experience -- just how bad is it really?
    And is there any other Windows convertible (with keyboard firmly attached) on the market at present that is equally light (or even lighter)?

3. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am going to get one of these eventually, but the price right now is a little steep for my taste.

I'm going to wait a few months for when they start hitting the secondary market. Is does look like the perfect machine for medical school.

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5. Mr. Boosh

I caved and got a brand new 900S m7/8GB, active pen, and leather folio for $1115. Funny how I spent just a little less for this compared to the Z Canvas I have which is unbelievably more powerful, but there's more to a machine then just its power.

Got to offload my ZC soon. I'll let everyone know my thoughts on this machine. Think this might be the best balance for school coming up, just wish they used 3:2 screen.

6. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

I read it has pretty poor have distance on the Lenovo forums (1-2mm) and nothing like the almost half inch of the Thinkpad AES pens. What is your experience like with the pen?

7. Mr. Boosh

I don't get the computer until next week. I'll let you know then.

8. Mr. Boosh

My 900s is out for delivery. Let me know what you guys want to see.

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

A trackpoint! :D

Kidding aside, I'm curious to hear your first impressions. Seems like an amazing device!

10. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

Waiting for delivery is the worst! If I'm able to, I usually pick up from the UPS center first thing in the morning for something like this. I'm too impatient to wait.

I'm mainly interested in the pen performance and maybe a screen comparison, depending on what other devices you have or are familiar with. If you're familiar with a Surface Book or Surface Pro 4, is the screen clarity much different?

I've been eying this device for a while, but have never seen it in person and don't want to spend the money to be disappointed and just return it (I do that enough with things I see in person).

Edit: I noticed you said you wished it had a 3:2 screen in a previous post. Why this over the Surface Book. You can get them for $1200 with student discount at Best Buy.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016