Lenovo Flex 5G Windows on Arm Notebook

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Bronsky, Jun 16, 2020.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So quick update. our customer is still evaluating and testing specific to their needs, but initial impressions are in line with what we expected. Battery life seems to be inline with the Galaxy Book S (and considerably better than the Pro X). However performance is also in line with Book S which is to say slower than the Pro X.

One caveat to the above. is the extensive use of 5g does have a hit a to battery life, greater than LTE does though not enormously (estimating so far about 15-20%). This is all customer feedback so take it as such. We haven't gotten our hands on one yet.

PS; Excellent keyboard apparently.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    JoeS likes this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

JoeS likes this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Bronsky likes this.
  4. desertlap

And about $400 overpriced in my opinion. You have to really want to 5G bad to choose this over the Book s which also has a better display and an arguably better keyboard.

Bronsky likes this.
  5. desertlap

BTW: If you are considering purchasing this from Verizon, it is definitely locked to Verizon. Unclear if you purchase from Lenovo directly at the moment.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If nothing else, it'll be interesting to see Lisa's review to see how the 5G performs.

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Is it weird for me to want her testing Flex 5 Chromebook instead to see if it has AES pen support or not? I'm dying to see inside of that thing too (SoDIMM slot or no? Spare slot for storage?)

desertlap and Bronsky like this.
  8. desertlap

Me too. We are seeing a surprising jump in interest and deployment of "midrange" chrome books and the Flex is definitely one of the more interesting ones.

9. desertlap

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Ouch: Lenovo Flex 5G review: Stunning battery life ruined by Windows on ARM

Key criticism: "The Flex 5G was mostly capable of managing my usual workload… Until it wasn’t. After I drained the battery with our video rundown test and restarted the laptop, getting all my Chrome tabs reloaded and apps running took an excruciating 10 minutes. I just wanted to get back into my Google Doc and address some edits or open Gmail to clear out my inbox, but each tab took minutes -- plural --to load. Even apps that weren’t reliant on an internet connection, like Events viewer or File Explorer, took forever to start."

Would be kind of helpful to know whether this is emulated chrome x86, or ARM Chrome. On that note, I still think MS should warn about emulated apps, and suggest approved alternatives. Maybe they don't want to draw attention to the emulation going on?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020