Lenovo Flex 5G Windows on Arm Notebook

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Bronsky, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Chris_Kez and JoeS like this.
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

That's bonkers. Why in f*cks sake would anyone buy a computer like that at that price? It's neither a super functional tablet, and it's also not a super functional windows laptop. I simply don't understand. It'll also probably have relatively average battery life. Sheesh

Bronsky likes this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Wow, they managed to make another 3lbs WOA device. Same weight as the x1 Yoga? Dear lord. Hey, at least it's more than 300 nits...

Bronsky likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

WOA is never gonna take off if they keep pricing it like this.

But the recent tech rumors of the past week have been rattling that next week Apple will unveil its Arm-based Macbook at WWDC. It won't be released for a while still, but Apple wants to give developers time to get ready (kind of like Microsoft with the Duo and Neo).....on the sense of ARM code being relative enough, OEMs making taking a re-interest in WOA would seem only natural at this point on.

But unlike Windows on Arm, I do feel Mac on Arm (MOA) can almost certainly command a high price point.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If for no other reason than it is Apple.:vbrolleyes:

nnthemperor, JoeS and darkmagistric like this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yes, but not just that. What will really make or break it, is if Apple can make it compatible with the full iOS App Library. Like a MacBook that could run full Mac apps & iPad apps would sell like crazy I’d imagine. Given how many people jury rig iPads into makeshift laptops, such a product couldn’t be anything but a success.

the problem with Microsoft’s approach is that we don’t much WOA software and there is little incentive to make them. Apple already has a massive library that’s ever growing of arm based apps. The only reason I could see Apple not doing this is for fear it could cannibalize iPad and MacBook Air sales.

Bronsky likes this.
  7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I could be wrong, but is this because it's targeted at enterprise?

From what I've been reading, the WOA usecase has basically been pared down to 'the always-connected mobile worker'. Basically C-suites, marketing/sales, journalists, who travel often and constantly communicate on unlimited 5G plans, while being fused at the hip to Office.

@desertlap is this generally the gist of how these are devices are being marketed? Any uptake from organizations you're seeing?

Bronsky likes this.
  8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

$1400?!? They high as F. lolz

But then again, these ARM SoCs are HUGE monsters even at 7nm, clocking in with double the transistor count of Intel/AMD counterparts.

The catch 22 seems that they need that many transistors/cache to perform well enough to compete with X86. Same with Apple's ARM efforts. Those f'er are even bigger. Really destroys any potential cost advantage. The only advantage left is efficiency which is also much diminished since all those transistors need to be fed electricity. Surface Pro X's SQ1 can't really keep up with x86 counterparts atm but already burns 9W...

bloodycape and Bronsky like this.
  9. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

I somehow imagined WOA would bring thin, light, long-lasting, always connected PC’s at more competitive prices.
    Well, this does check off the “always connected” box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeS and Bronsky like this.
  10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

To be fair - When the flagship phones that shipped with the Snapdragon 855 SoC they were $1000+ dollars especially with the 5G modem included. The 8cx was never designed to be the value chip, the have the 8c and 7c that will cover those segments.

Currently the WOA are not targeted at the consumer space, maybe the Prosumer but more for the Enterprise and Government Space (at least the technical marketing that I've been responsible in creating).

Chris_Kez likes this.