Lenovo Blogs Linux post

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by schmolch, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sumitagarwal

sumitagarwal Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, while it doesn't affect tablet users as much I thought some of you might be interested in the Linux discussion heating up on the official Lenovo blogs:

http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/

Oh how I dream of a Linux X Tablet with handwriting recognition...

2. schmolch

schmolch Scribbler - Standard Member

3. sumitagarwal

4. NotABigTruck

NotABigTruck Pen Pal - Newbie

Lack of handwriting recognition was one of the major reasons I decided on XP after trying out various Linux distros on the X61. (Though XP is pretty bad at recognizing my terrible handwriting.) Personally, I might wait for the final release of 7.10 before I repartition and dualboot, or at least the beta release.

Also, the one other thing I found to be missing was a good alternative for OneNote. I additionally need to be able to save handwritten notes in a format that would somehow be openable on an MS Office app (for handing in homework). Once I can get those, Kubuntu will probably be my primary OS.

Edit: Oh yeah, tickless idle for amd64. That would rock. But I don't even know if that's going to be in 2.6.23. Maybe 2.6.24...

5. sumitagarwal

Handwriting recognition in Vista is definitely a cut above XP, and I'm not someone who particularly likes to heap praise on that bloated OS.

I've been using Windows Journal because as far as I can tell, I didn't get OneNote with my X61t. I had OneNote 2003 on my old Toshiba M200, but I don't have an installer for it (I do have the product key) so I can't get it on my X61. And I'm unwilling to buy or pirate the new OneNote.

I'll use MS software if it comes 'free' with my computer, but I refuse to pay for additional MS apps (other than games). And in my opinion software piracy is a slap in the face of the open-source community.

6. Anonymouse

Anonymouse A nondescript mouse

I hadn't used OneNote2003, but from what I've heard, OneNote2007 is "a cut above" 2003. I'm happy with 2007, personally, but to each his own.

As for Linux on a Lenovo, has anyone successfully gotten Linux to work on their x61? I can get it to mostly work as a laptop out of the box, but I can't get sound to work or (more importantly?) the digitizer to work.

7. schmolch

schmolch Scribbler - Standard Member

Sure, i use nothing but Linux on all of my Computers including my x60t.
    Feel free to email me is you need help with anything.

saschaheid(at)gmail.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.