Lenovo Active Pen 2 (Wacom G13 Pen with 4096 pressure levels)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by kvoram, Dec 15, 2016.

1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Lenovo Active Pen 2 has been submitted by Wacom to the FCC. There is no additional information about the pen, but plenty of photos.
    I guess it will arrive soon, most likely at CES.

Source: https://fccid.io/HV4ESP101B21

The Lenovo Active Pen 2 has first appeared a couple weeks ago with the leak of the Lenovo Miix 720. It was listed there as having 4096 pressure levels and being released some time after the Miix 720.

As we know, in May Wacom also teased their G13 dual-protocol pen with 4096 pressure levels. I don't expect this be a dual-protocol pen, but instead just offering the same 4096 pressure levels that we already saw in the now defunct Note 7 smartphone.

Anyway here is how it looks on the outside and on the inside:

External Photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eraser Assembly:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pen Assembly:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anyone got a guide on dis-assembling the AES pens?

I'd love to swap the internals of my Wacom Bamboo for select 2-in-1 devices w/ those from my 1st gen. Toshiba TruPen.

3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We should get @Shogmaster to give us the lowdown on this pen at CES and ask Wacom which if any of the styluses are Gen13, which ones have tilt, better polling rate, etc. and which ones are dual-protocol (if any).

2017 may the first year where we are not going to go in blind, guessing about pen techs on various machines. ;)

4. kvoram

5. mathartist

mathartist Pen Pal - Newbie

6. kvoram

Sadly, we don't. But hopefully @Shogmaster will find out when he takes a look at it at CES. ;)

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Something tells me only the 16:10 Miix are Wacom (e.g. Miix 510).

But honestly, I don't care anymore after having bought the Wacom Expresskey Remote. I actually uninstalled the Feel driver from my Dell Insprion 7568 to boot! SCREW YOU FEEL DRIVERRRRRRRRR~~~~

8. pimpl

pimpl Pen Pal - Newbie

Hallo all,

I just bought the yoga 720 13'', and I have some questions considering the pen.
    First of all, I really want to create serious digital art, i.e. drawing on it like on paper, like i'm used to. This is my first Tablet, so I'm really a noob in thar area. I've been enjoying my samsung note 5 for 2 years though, doodeling and sketching around on the small display. I think the s-pen is awesome and it is my reference.

Compared to the surface pro 4 (that I've been testing for one week) the lenovo's stylus is mutch nicer, as it needs much less initial force to be activated. However compared to my s-pen the lenovo is much harder to write and draw on, because there is much more friction between the screen and the rubbery tip of the active pen 2.

1. Question: are the tips removable and can i use a low-friction tip with the pen? what do i have to search for, or what is the right pentip for my needs?

2. question: can I use different pens? Which models are compatible to the lenovo? If I repace the pen, do i always get the 12-bit sensitivity (4096 preassure-levels) or is it dependant on the pen? In other words: where is the 'intelligence': in the lenovos digitizer or in the pen itself? Could I use a pen and get anyhow a tilt support?

3. question: I hate glossy screens! Are there anti refelctive foils that can be placed on the screen that are recommendable? Does the pen support suffer due to the additional foil?

4. question: which software can be recommended for:
    a) multi-layer drawing
    b) aquarell & oil-painting?

thank you a lot for your help!

9. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

1. The tips are removable and you can use any Wacom AES pen nibs, Wacom sells 6 for $5.
    2. You can use any pen that was released in 2017; older pens might not work but newer pens like Wacom Bamboo Ink, Wacom Bamboo Smart 2-in-1, and Huawei MatePen work on the Yoga.
    3. Check Photodon, but be warned that applying such a large screen protector is difficult. The pen works fine with a screen protector. See if you can manage with the soft nibs instead, they have more friction.
    4. I'm not an artist but for drawing everybody seems to use Clip Studio Paint or Photoshop or Illustrator, while for watercolors and oil painting people use ArtRage and Expresii.

WillAdams likes this.
  10. pimpl

pimpl Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, Thank you a lot for your answer!!!
    So it is no problem to put a matte, anti-reflective foil ontop of the display? I will not compromise on the digitizer's performance?
    So How come that there are no matte pen-enabled Tablets anywhere?! The golssyness of the screens have beem holding me back to buy such things before..

My second question is still not clear:
    If I do use a different WACOM AES pen, e.g. the bamboo, do I have to take care of the pens properties, such as the number of preassure-levels or is the quality of the pen-support within the screen's digitizer and I will get 12-bit preassure resolution with any wacom AES pen?

Again, thank you for the help.