LEAST Buggy Win 8 Tablets?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xrayzebra, Dec 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xrayzebra

xrayzebra Scribbler - Standard Member

Is there a single (pen enabled) Windows 8 tablet that stands out as the most reliable, bug free device to come to market?

While I've happily worked on Windows based tablets through Win 98, 2000, XP, and 7, I just got my first Win 8 tablet a couple weeks ago.

I printed up the return label tonight.

I was looking to replace my last Win based tablet, a Fujitsu Q550 running Win 7 - not the highest performance tablet around, perhaps even a poor reputation among those who love to compare specs - however, it worked well.

I found my first Win 8 tablet to be very buggy, more like a market experiment than a dependable professional device, "close, but no cigar" as they say. I've never in my long computing life spent two weeks on and off, screwing around with a computer, trying work arounds, reading issue threads, and downloading a series of firmware updates, and hoping that patience would pay off in it finally working reliably as expected. (Other than with computers I built or radically modified myself, anyway.)

Between poor stylus performance, 5 and 10 minute lock-ups, overly sensitive touch screen, and poor palm rejection, I could not hack it. I'm not blaming it on Win 8, I'm just saying that some of these machines seem they have been rushed to market to exploit the sudden push by Microsoft to claim a bigger piece of the tablet market, and are simply not ready for market. I'd happily sacrifice a little bit of processor and screen resolution performance for dependability, even give up a little battery life.

I'm most interested in continuing to use full featured Office applications and some proprietary software packages that run in Windows. I don't give a damn for a bunch of Win 8 apps, but I am not necessarily resistant to Win 8, particularly if there's a stable, fairly bug free machine under $1000. I'd stick with a current Win 7 Fujitsu except for the price point, and the fact that professional tablets like Fujitus and Motion seem to be slow putting out models with Baytrail or Haswell. (But, I guess you don't put those new models out quickly and put out reliable machines maybe?)

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I answered you in the other thread, but didn't see you had set a price ceiling of $1000. For significantly less, you may want to look at the original Surface Pro with 4 GB/128 GB. Then buy a power cover keyboard when it comes out early this year to bring battery life in line with the Surface Pro 2.

3. xrayzebra

xrayzebra Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks - sorry I sort of double posted. Figured a lot of people stick to one specialty forum and I'm trying to get some varied opinions from those with different interests.

I'm willing to go $500 for the lower end to $1000, maybe eve a little more, but I want to go with something that is not having a rash of common issues that might disrupt my work frequently.

I get the impression from some of your other (very useful) posts that you've been using your Surface pretty consistently and with some fairly demanding tasks. (I considered just PMing you on this) You'd describe it as reasonably stable and bug free now? Did you have to go through a lot of updating and firmware, etc, to get it that way? I could go the full ticket for the 8g/256g one, but the 4g/128g is probably adequate for my applications until the next round of new models brings the price down a bit on performance.

I tend to replace tablets fairly often, just haven't needed to lately - but these processor choices with lower heat and battery consumption are so tempting. I just can't sacrifice dependability to get that, and end up embarrassed by failures during inspections or seminars.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  4. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

Lenovo is rumored to have a new tablet coming soon with hopefully a Wacom digitizer. What about Fujitsu Q584? Though at the price Surface (1) Pro does seem like a good choice. I'm still torn between a Windows 8 and Android tablet, there are a couple features on each that are setting them apart and making the choice difficult.

Surface Pro 128gb is only $600 at the microsoft store right now, seem like a decent price.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

the samsung x500t is no more buggy with the last firmware and with win 8.1.

6. will567

will567 Scribbler - Standard Member

Supposedly there will be several manufacturers showing "PC PLUS" tablets at CES this month. They will have both Windows 8 and android, although no one seems very clear on how that gets done, by emulation or dual booting. So maybe you can get both os in one tablet soon.

sent by Nook HD+ using tapatalk

7. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

The Surface Pro is by far, the least buggy amongst the Windows 8 tablets that I've used.

Microsoft's one of the most reliable OEMs, especially when it comes to supporting their products.

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I kind of agree, but I have to say I have enjoyed a couple of issues since I got my SP2:

Incredibly slow search in the start menu (solved)
    High CPU use due to 'System Interrupts'
    SP2 clock not staying in sync

And aside from those I have issues with a disappearing mouse cursor, the touch pad not working (requiring a type cover disconnect/reconnect), and the famed battery miscalibration after the December update. From my perspective this particular SP2 gets a 6 in the reliability department. Still keeping it though.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. docfreed

docfreed Pen Pal - Newbie

Have to chime in here also - totally agree that MS is currently making the "unbuggiest" Win8 tablet but when you speak of bugs they should be divided into:
    1. Software bugs/omissions... - for example, IMHO Windows 8 is not really a robust touch OS yet, at least nowhere like IOS or even the latest Android Kit-Kat. One of my pet peeves is the stupidly ludicrous inability for the on-screen keyboard to automatically pop up when in a text box. And others abound such as the menus being way too small. Hopefully these get fixed with updates.

2. Hardware bugs - for example the poor quality of the latest Win 8 tabs from Dell, ASUS, Lenovo...they absolutely suck and remind me of the early days of android tabs. Most are plagued with charging issues, loose or incorrectly placed charging ports, screen issues, driver issues...I have had to return several and have now decided it's better to pay for the quality up-front by investing in a Surface Pro. I had a first gen Surface RT and even though the OS fell short the hardware was brilliant and MS tech support is great unlike the horror stories I read regarding ASUS, Dell.....

Currently using a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 but I am moving to a Surface Pro next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.