Learn to Draw with a Tablet

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by olevelo, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olevelo

olevelo Pen Pal - Newbie

Are there any good programs or at least tutorials for learning art using a pen-enabled tablet?

I recently bought a Thinkpad Yoga 14 (460 with pen), and would like to use it for artwork...except I'm not much of an artist yet! I have dabbled in traditional stuff previously, worked through Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, but never proceeded very far. I think I could make a lot of headway digitally, where I can work on color and such much more easily. But I need some help really getting started.

I have extensive experience with Photoshop (not drawing from scratch obviously), and a bit with Illustrator. I'm willing to use Sketchbook or something else if that would be more appropriate. I think what I'm imagining is something that starts off with an example layer that you "draw over" to learn the basics, building in difficulty and complexity.

I really want to take advantage of the awesome power of my Thinkpad, so I appreciate any advice you have!

2. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

YouTube. Lots of drawing tutorials on just about any drawing program you can imagine, including Photoshop. With regards to drawing programs, that comes down to user preference. I own most of them, but have my favorites. The best thing I'd say to do is give the trial versions a go, and the ones that tickle your fancy, look up on YouTube for proper use tutorials. Best wishes.

3. olevelo

olevelo Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. Any specific suggestions on tutorials? I can search but it's hard to find specific ones toward using a pen-tablet for learning from scratch (versus an experienced artist translating what they know into using a pen). Also hard to filter out the crap!

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Youtube is wild wild west. You really have to be careful to choose wisely.

I can maybe start a thread for you. Learn how to draw with a tablet thread. Or maybe a Youtube series.

Don't worry. I have teaching experience. *whistles*

Tea and crumpets likes this.
  5. olevelo

olevelo Pen Pal - Newbie

Haha, either of those would be great. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would benefit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. VariableSpark

VariableSpark Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll second this. I just bought a TPY14 as well, and would like to use it for art too (among other things). I have no idea where to start though. As embarrassing as it is to admit, my digital art career thus far extends to MS Paint with a mouse. Lol.

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@olevelo and @VariableSpark I don't offer drawing tutorials, but you'll find plenty of tips and tricks for artists over at the blog. I strongly recommend you check out Manga Studio aka Clip Studio Paint for your Thinkpads. It's the best affordable drawing program available for pen tablets, imho.

VariableSpark, olevelo and Shogmaster like this.
  8. VariableSpark

VariableSpark Pen Pal - Newbie

Will definitely check out the blog and Manga Studio (which I had heard of before, but have never tried), thanks!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

ctrlpaint is a really well organized and smart site to get started: http://www.ctrlpaint.com/
    free tutorials in multiple software. Hes using a wacom intuos or cintiq but its all the same technique and methods. What program are you trying to learn? Sketchbook Pro is a great program to start with on a tablet if your just wanting something basic, inexpensive and with a small learning curve.

10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Basically, use your tablet like a sketch book and start trying to draw things.

After about 10,000 hours, you'll be able to draw things.

After another 10,000 hours, you'll be able to draw things better.

Sounds like a pain, right? But it's actually a lot of fun because there are countless little discoveries you'll make along the way, and they start coming almost immediately. Each one is exciting. It's like picking up gold coins, and the first few are right at your feet.

A small air brush of about 10-20 pixels on a 6000 x 6000 canvas is a good combo, I find for general pencil sketching.

Computers are cool, but just as much joy can be found with a pad of paper and a pencil.

That site Stoneseeker referenced is awesome.

One of my favorite videos there... http://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/why-bother-gesture-drawing

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.