LE1700 & windows 10 technical preview.

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by dortizjr1, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dortizjr1

dortizjr1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have an le1700, the core 2 duo 1.06 ghz version, with an upgraded zif ssd and 3 gb of ram. I recently loaded the windows 10 technical preview on it and was pleasantly surprised at how well the hardware is holding up. I also have another le1700, 1.5 core 2 duo running windows 8.1 pro and honestly they are both running excellent.
    I've played on windows 10 with sketch book for tablets it it works great. No lag at all.
    Has anyone else tried windows 10 on the le1700? I've found some things that don't work yet like the finger print reader. It's installed and windows recognizes it, I'm writing that off to limited driver / program support in this technical preview.
    The motion buttons driver program also won't install. The latest one listed on motion's website says it's for all versions of windows 7 and that is what worked with windows 8/8.1 on my other motion le1700 but I get a "this program is incompatible with windows" error in windows 10. I'm hoping the next build will get both of these working.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. dortizjr1

For anyone that still owns and uses this tablet:
    I've upgraded mine to Windows 10 pro and am experiencing no issues. The few problems I had with the technical preview a few months ago have been fixed, the main issue being that there was no compatible driver for the finger print reader.
    All of my current software works i.e. Sketchbook Pro, Manga studio 5, Gimp. Steaming movies works fine via netfilx or internet browser. On that note - there is an odd issue with Google Chrome. It randomely causes the le1700 to start running very slowly but only within Google Chrome broswer, the rest of the machine will continue to run fine. I've toyed around with the edge browser and I think it works great!!!
    I've had no issues with the wacom technology which was also recognized and installed out of the box.
    This was my test unit which is running Core 2 duo U7500 -1.06 ghz, 3gb ram with a 128gb ssd.
    The return of a native start menu was welcome. I ran classic shell on windows 8/8.1 pro to get that back.
    I've also played around forcing the tablet to run in "tablet mode" - I have nothing negative to say about it, but I prefer the desktop mode.

WillAdams and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Wow. That machine was designed around WinXP.

Would you say that it is better under Win10?

4. dortizjr1

Absolutely!
    I don't experience lag, lockups or stutters anytime when using it. Overall this was an underwhelming upgrade from windows 8.1 pro - these tablets worked great with that OS & classic shell too. So far all functionality is present. The issues I had with some hardware not working in the preview builds are completely gone.
    All of that being said, it's probably time to upgrade to new technology. This machine offers me all of the functionality I require but the new tech out there is just nice and becoming more affordable. The surface pro 3 and other pen enabled slates are much lighter than this tablet pc is and the battery life of newer tablet pc's blows this one's battery life out of the water.
    Those are my two complaints about the LE1700: it's heavy (but it's old) and I'm tethered to the wall because the battery is old and only ever lasted me 2 hours anyway.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  5. gkudaka

gkudaka Pen Pal - Newbie

I have about 6 LE1700 single core because they're cooler to the touch. I tried an install of Win 10 and it installed surprisingly easy. I didn't really test it out fully as I just did the install to see whether or not 10 would run. I'm on Win 7 Pro, and want to upgrade to 10 via the 7 to 10 route, but every time I try to install all the updates to get to the point where it will upgrade, the tablet crashes. Driving me crazy. I know 10 works, because a fresh install of 10 runs fine... but there's something in the updates which causes it to crash. Any idea?

6. rr-1701

rr-1701 Pen Pal - Newbie

I also use Win 10 Pro in my LE1700, it is modified with a SSD
    and runs fine.
    Fingerprint works, the Button-Driver works, I got two issues:
    a) the Fingerprint scrolling doesn´t work
    b) the Dashboard-button doesn´t work nice, it runs Microsoft Mobility Center. I modified the exe-name to run dashboard..

It runs faster than my X61/T7500@2,2GHz

7. IsaacKuo

IsaacKuo Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for the crazy late reply, but I know exactly what went wrong - when you try to install too many Windows updates at a time, it will eat up all of your RAM and start thrashing and basically take FOREVER.

The solution is to manually select which updates to install, and only install maybe a dozen at a time. This depends on how much RAM you have. With, say, 2GB of RAM, you may be able to get away with maybe a few dozen at a time, but you could get unlucky by selecting a couple really big updates at the same time. So just play it safe and only install a dozen at a time.

8. IsaacKuo

IsaacKuo Pen Pal - Newbie

I have an LE1700 problem, myself - I installed Windows 10 on it (dual boot, main OS is Debian GNU/Linux). This LE1700 has a busted main screen, so it's attached to an external monitor. Due to the viewing angles and the way the monitor is mounted on the wall, I have mounted the monitor upside-down. In Linux, I simply selected the display output to VGA only and orientation to landscape-flipped.

So, I boot up to Windows 10 and expect it should be easy as pie to configure the upside-down monitor, right? Wrong! :( I was easily able to select output to VGA only (screen 2 only). But it does NOT give me all four orientations. It only gives me "landscape" and "portrait (flipped)".

Any ideas how to unlock the other two orientations? I tried physically flipping my LE1700 upside-down in case it had something to do with the internal orientation sensor locking out options (the physical orientation of the LE1700 is not too important because the display is busted anywa). But no luck! It still only gives me two orientations.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.