LE1700 Upgrade CPU

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by emjapeve, Jul 23, 2017.

1. emjapeve

emjapeve Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone, mi name is Emerson, I am from Colombia, I have this model of Tablet PC with Windows 10 (4GB Ram) and I would like to know if to this device can be upgraded the CPU. Is a great tablet to illustration and drawing(like a little Cintiq), but I`d like to improve it.
    Many thanks for your answers.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I would like to know if to this device can be upgraded the CPU...>>

Emerson: The practical answer is: No. Your LE1700 has a very highly integrated motherboard that is tailored for the CPU, which is soldered on. Assuming that you could find another more capable pin-compatible CPU and the drivers for it, you would still need considerable electronics skills to remove the existing CPU and solder another one in its place. Such an effort is likely to turn out badly.

My advice is to enjoy your LE1700 as is, or maybe shop around for a more modern unit. We have a "For Sale" forum, and there are several postings there that might appeal to you.

Good luck.

emjapeve likes this.
  3. emjapeve

emjapeve Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much Steve for your explanation, I did not know that the processor is soldered to the motherboard.
    What other device of this kind is economical and similar to draw like this model LE1700?

4. IsaacKuo

IsaacKuo Pen Pal - Newbie

Which CPU do you have? I have two LE1700's, both with bad backlights (a real shame, since they both have 1400x1050 resolution screens). One has a slow single core 1.2Ghz Core Solo. The other has the fastest CPU available for the LE1700, a 1.5Ghz Core 2 Duo. If you're up for the challenge of swapping screens/backlights on it, you can have the fast one.

It's not very nice, though. The fast one will randomly freeze up maybe once a week or so. Sometimes once a day. This might have something to do with power draw from the bad backlight, though.

Note that regardless of OS, only about 3GB of the RAM will be usable. The BIOS will correctly state that 4GB is installed, but you'll still only be able to use about 3GB of it. Sucks, but there it is.