LE1700 - Screen upgrade

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by ivar, Dec 22, 2009.

1. BattleCollie

BattleCollie Pen Pal - Newbie

Though I'd rather go through this exercise to upgrade to a SXGA Hydis than pay for a JS3500 with such a lower resolution you know? Using it for art with a low res is hideous to have so much screen space taken up by UI.

Why'd they drop the res anyways? Sheesh.

2. mmo

mmo Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, I don't have the Ultra-view screen either. It's the same dull "view anywhere" that most people have (with the slightly greenish glass...).

Michael

3. mmo

mmo Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah - that I really don't understand. That screen was the selling point for me (and I guess for most others). Imagine the higher power of the J3500 with a screen at least as big as the LE1700 - I would immediately go for it! Beats why really nobody is making such a slate. That would allow for a really cool (and useful!) tablet, but these days everybody's just mimicking this ridiculous iPad! I want a slate with a real computer inside!

Michael

4. BattleCollie

Well hopefully going through this exercise will help with doing this in the future with other Hydis screens. Maybe when the JS3500's drop and are on ebay it'll be worth trying to grab one and put higher res screen in. Though there's always possible need for BIOS modding, but I think there's gonna be plenty of time to learn before they drop enough to make it worth trying!

5. BattleCollie

News! So I got a Hydis SXGA+ LE1700 today and of course first thing stripped it apart to have a look. So first off the screen inside it of the motion computing standard screen is a:

HV121P01-101

I read somewhere that the difference between the 100 and the 101 was the 101 glass was directly fused to the LCD. Looks like that too.

So on the the pinouts. The XGA and SXGA cables are almost IDENTICAL except for one detail. On both cables pins 3,6,9,12,15,18, and 21 are linked to a common ground on the motherboard connector. On the SXGA cable pin 26 is also linked to the common ground. As far as I can tell that's the only difference.

I have a XGA Hydis cable right now and since they're identical I should just be able to just solder the connector for pin 26 to the shell on the mobo and plug in the XGA cable with the HV121P01-100 and it should work if that's right. I think I might give that a try tomorrow.

If that works then it'll confirm that and I'll post up the cable layout. Next step would be ordering the parts to make a whole new cable and seeing if that'll work.

Cross your fingers!

6. ivar

ivar Pen Pal - Newbie

I do! Great news!

7. ivar

ivar Pen Pal - Newbie

8. Rippling Hurst

Rippling Hurst Pen Pal - Newbie

Very cool info. Thanks guys.

9. wiggy1

wiggy1 Pen Pal - Newbie

BattleCollie -How is the screen working out? Was there much of an improvement? Also, haw about the cable situation? I would like to pursue this since I recently broke the glass on my tablet.

10. ivar

ivar Pen Pal - Newbie

Recently I had my hands on LE1700 with the standard XGA screen.

The screen was Hydis: HT12x21-230 and the cable was different from that connecting viewanywhere SXGA+ Toshiba screens (20 pins vs 30 pins for the latter).

The comparison of specs of HT12x21-230 (XGA) and HV121P01-100 (SXGA+) shows that the pins 1-16 are identical and others pins are as follows:

HT12x21-230 (XGA)
    17 NC No Connection
    18 NC No Connection
    19 VSS Ground
    10 VSS Ground

HV121P01-100 (SXGA+)
    17 EDID 3.3V EDID 3.3V
    18 VSS Ground
    19 EDID Clk EDID Clk
    20 EDID Data EDID Data

If we have XGA cable, we can easily modify it to make SXGA+ cable out of it,
    if we figure our were to connect four the remaining pins on the motherboard.

Unfortunately, I am not able to find pinouts of Toshiba 12" screens, both XGA or SXGA+. Maybe someone can help?