LE1700 - Screen upgrade

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by ivar, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BattleCollie

BattleCollie Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a LE1600 with the Hydis screen and yeah the connectors are different between the Toshiba and the Hydis on the actual LCD. I tried putting the XGA screen from the LE1600 on the 1700 and still no love. I'm guessing this means the outputs on the motherboard to the LCD are different between the two enough to not allow that.

However I found a single core 1700 with a Hydis XGA screen on ebay and snagged up. I'm assuming this screen would work in the dual core 1700 as well. If that does it would confirm the idea that the pinouts on the motherboard are different. But if that works then I plan on taking that cable and trying it out on the SXGA Hydis (HV21P01-100) and see if it's compatible with that.

Should that work and everything looks good I plan on mapping out the connections for the cable from the XGA 1700 and posting those up. You can get the connectors for the motherboard, LCD, and Wacom with wires already attached online but how you hook them up is the problem. If this works that would solve that little mystery.

So cross your fingers! At least then we'd be able to manufacture cables for modding since Motion won't release any information about the unit to do this.

Hell, SXGA working or not I'll probably put the cable design up. Maybe someone would figure out how to make it work and post their design.

2. BattleCollie

So the LE1700 with the XGA cable came and hooking it up it still doesn't work but at least it's an improvement. When I hooked the HV21P01-100 to the LE1600 the screen was tiled, but it DID work at least. When using the LE1600 cable on the LE1700 the machine wouldn't even boot. The power LED would turn on for a second before it just shut down.

So with the new XGA cable out of the LE1700 if I hook up the screen I get the same tiled screen as I did on the LE1600. But it did boot! That's an improvement at least.

On the Toshiba screen it seems there's two additional wires running to the LCD that the Hydis has room for but aren't hooked up. Maybe whatever signal is on those wires is why it's not running the SXGA mode correctly? I don't know enough about LCDs to really know that but hey it's worth a shot. I figure I'll trace the wires back to the motherboard and figure out which two are missing.

But at least it does something now and shows something. So that's an improvement.

If anyone has any LCD knowledge or suggestions let me know. I'll provide whatever info I can and I'm willing to try and make custom cables and try to get this working.

3. BattleCollie

Interesting. Looking at the wires to follow them I just noticed the two wires that would be connected to the LVDS differential clock input on the LCD are actually cut! So I'm guessing that explains why the screen is tiling like it is instead of covering the whole screen. Hooking those up to the right connections could straighten things out.

That ring any bells with anyone?

4. cartoonmonkey

cartoonmonkey Pen Pal - Newbie

This work you're doing is interesting! Motion probably did that cutting of the wire bit on purpose, rewiring things slightly, so that the components couldn't be interchanged between the 1600 /1700 easily.

(Say, purchase a cheaper le1600, and turn it into a SXGA le1700 just by swapping screens.)

As someone not afraid to mod my machines, and the LE1700 no longer being made, I would love to be able to buy a replacement LCD without hassle.

The other thing I've always wanted to do, was to keep the SXGA screen of the LE1700, but take a wacom capacitive multitouch overlay, and underlying digitizer from another laptop ( say the TM2?) and shoehorn it into the LE1700.

This would be pretty much my dream slate tablet pc, with multitouch and the wacom digitizer / sxga..

Bookmarking this thread!

5. cartoonmonkey

Also, in your modifications with the new hydis screen, are you able to keep the wacom digitizer?
    My LE1700 screen is also not quite as bright as I'd like it to be. The Hydis mod could be perfect, if you can make the cable.

Would buy one for sure.
    C

6. BattleCollie

Yes. The Hyids screen I got actually came with the digitizer on the back. I removed it and put it in place of the current digitizer on the 1700 because it seemed to be a newer gen. I wanted to see if everything worked and yep, sure did.

Even if you get the hydis without the digitizer there's spots on it specifically for mounting one. At least on the HV21P01-100 there was. If you look in the datasheet for it the last few pages that show the outside design specifically label the tabs for the digitizer.

7. cartoonmonkey

That cable schematic will be excellent if you can manage it.
    I might experiment with a wacom dualtouch digitized at some point this fall..

Let us know if you get it working! Pics etc.. :)
    c

8. mmo

mmo Pen Pal - Newbie

VERY interesting thread! I broke my LE1700's display last week and since then I am searching for a solution that is cheaper than buying a new tablet (only: which one? The LE1700 had the display with the highest resolution and I wouldn't want to have anything that has a smaller screen) and having it "officially" repaired (which costs $$$).

If you guys find a source (plus some instructions) to replace a broken display - that would be just wonderful!

Michael

9. ivar

ivar Pen Pal - Newbie

If you could find out which display did you have built inside (you have to disassemble your tablet anyway, but make it very careful; there were some proper instructions
    either about LE1600 or LE1700 somewhere), you could help us with finding the pinouts for the LCD cable if you happen to have a Hydis screen inside (that would be an Ultra-view screen).

If you have the same "view anywhere" Toshiba screen as we have, then it won't help us.

I am still on the stage of shopping for a Hydis screen, so I am far far behind BattleCollie's ground-breaking efforts.

10. BattleCollie

I found someone who might be willing to map out the SXGA Hydis cable, but before asking them to do that there's another option I'm trying out. I actually found a LE1700 on ebay which should have a SXGA Hydis screen in it according to the serial number and confirmation from Motion support. If not there's two options I can see.. contact motion support and get the screen "fixed" since it is a serial number that is supposed to have a Hydis screen, or get a refund.

I'm crossing my fingers that the unit has everything it's supposed to have according to the serial number and confirmations. If so then I can map the cable out myself and try building one for the other LE1700 without the Hydis screen. Hopefully I'll come out of this with one 1700 already with a SXGA Hydis, and another soon to follow after building a cable. Should this all work I'll post the pin to pin designs on the cable.

Right now I'm looking at putting in a HV121P01-100. I'm tempted if this all works to get a HV121P01-101 and see how different it really is by trying to upgrade the XGA version of a 1700 I got to a SXGA screen.

***dam* this is getting expensive to try and work out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.