LE1700 - Screen upgrade

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by ivar, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuchlbauer

kuchlbauer Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi! Anyone found a way to get your hands on the VA or UVA Hydis-screen so far? I've got a LE1700 as well and would like to change the screen (seems to be Toshiba telling from its performance). Or has someone bought the one from ebay (non-Hydis). I'm also in Germany and support is crappy here...

Best regards

Ben

2. ivar

ivar Pen Pal - Newbie

I am going to order Hydis SXGA+ screens. I found a supplier in HK who sells for 100$ if one orders 200PCS :(, so I will start negotiations.

I still don't know which screen to order: HV121P01-100 or HV121P01-101, which one is actually used as UltraView in LE1700.

I also don't know if one of those screens comes with the glass writing surface like LE1700 has. There are indications on Thinkpad moding forums that some sellers ship those screens with the glass writing surgface, which we certainly would like to have.

Any information about the screens would appreciated.

If there are interested ones in Europe to order more screens together with me, please contact me.

3. BattleCollie

BattleCollie Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got a HV121P01-100 today and it seems to have the glass screen on it like the LE1700 I got right now. Unfortunately if you have the Toshiba monitor the connector for the LCD is completely different so unless you have the right cable you're not going to be able to hook it up. I tried using a LE1600 cable too and no go. The power comes on and it shuts right back off.

Interestingly the monitor somewhat works on the LE1600 but since it doesn't support SXGA in the bios it just tiles the screen and isn't very useful.

I mailed motion computing support hoping they could give me the toshiba part number, or a pin out diagram from the LE1700, or better yet sell me one of the hydis cables for the 1700.

If anyone has the Toshiba number that'd be awesome right now. In lue of them selling me a cable I'm going to try to use the pinouts and build one myself like someone else did. Finally a use for those electronics classes back in college!

If anyone has any questions let me know. I can take photos of the stuff. Using it in the LE1600 briefly to test I can tell you it was a nice screen. Much better viewing angles than the Toshiba for sure.

4. ivar

ivar Pen Pal - Newbie

BattleCollie, many thanks for your information.

My LE1700 has Toshiba LTD121KM2M screen inside. This is what you were asking for?

Do you have datasheet for Hydis ...-100 to make the connector? I have datasheet for ..._101 only.

5. ivar

ivar Pen Pal - Newbie

Please contact me if you are interested to make "Sammelbestelung" of Hydis screens in Germany together with me. They can be gotten for around 100$ without customs charges.

6. BattleCollie

Yeah I do. Though I think they're the same but I could email it to you. I think my LE1700 has the same LTD121KM2M screen inside it but I can't be 100% sure since the tag was ripped off it. I'm sure it's not the Hydis though so it's most likely that one.

As expected Motion Computing support was unhelpful so I'm still unable to really do anything as far as making a cable to try and hook things up. And I can't find a datasheet for the LTD121KM2M to try and trace the connections back to the motherboard. I was thinking if I could do that then I could map out the motherboard connections and use the datasheet for the -100 to plan out a connector. I think I already found the place to order the connector so it would just be how do I lay out the cables. That 20 pin vs. 30/32 pin issue is really frustrating.

Or is there a place to get the hydis cables from? At this point I'm willing to try most anything even if it means potentially frying the LCD. It's a unreturnable paperweight so why not huh?

7. BattleCollie

Are these the -100 screens like the one I have? I think the different 20 ping vs 30/32 pin cable is still an issue in that case isn't it?

8. ivar

ivar Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't tell that, if they are the same as yours. I doubt there exist versions with different pinouts.

You were the first one to point out the problem with LCD cable those with Toshiba screen will face. Thanks for this, as it would cost a lot of nerves to find it out.

I found a remarkable "how to" to upgrade old G4 12" Powerbook with XGA screen to Hydis SXGA+. I was astonished, that the guy just replaced the screen using the same cable and not worrying about BIOS, and ... it just worked! See: PowerBook G4 Aluminum 12" 1-1.5 GHz LCD panel upgrade - iFixit

BTW, user "cyanprinter" in his signature mentions the same Toshiba screen built in his LE1700, as the one we have.

As I have not received a response from the seller I wanted to order the screen from, I am still searching for an inexpensive source to buy from. It was mentioned on one German forum that all 20 Hydis screens purchased by a group of Thinkpad enthusiast have arrived broken (because they were not carefully packed after the customs checks in China ...), so one should be careful ...

Here http://picasaweb.google.com/Asiatech1991/Toshiba121X700PcsPNLTD121KM2M#
    there are pics of LTD121KM2M screens, so that you could compare to your screen.
    I am trying to find a datasheets of this screen, which we need to manufacture the LCD cable for the Hydis screen.

9. Synergi

Synergi Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd love to do this to my TM2. For a tablet it has the worse viewing angles and now I regret I kept it. I'm told the Wacom is fused to the LCD screen so even if I wanted to swap out the screen, I'd need another wacom digitizer and all of that is beyond my skill level.

I tell you one thing. For someone in the know how, they could make a killing swapping out screens like this for people.

Ivar, whats the difference between the LE1600's Hydis screen versus the LE1700's Hydis. I saw the video on Youtube that shows the LE1600's screen was far better then the Toshiba's on the LE1700. Can't the LE1700 use the LE1600's Hydis screen or are the connectors or something different on them?

10. ivar

ivar Pen Pal - Newbie

LE1600 has XGA Hydis screen. We want to replace our Toshiba SXGA+ screens on LE1700 with SXGA+ Hydis.

In principle, one can used LE1660's XGA screen in LE1700
    (BIOS permits that), but I don't know if you need other connector for that. It seems, based on above posts, that you need other connector if you've got a non-Hydis LE1700.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.