LE1700 - Screen upgrade

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by ivar, Dec 22, 2009.

1. ivar

ivar Pen Pal - Newbie

Do I understand correctly that UltraView SXGA+ screens have the same ViewAnywhere coating but with brighter screens?

Do you know the factory number of View Anywhere and resp. Ultraview screens? Are Ultraview screens also Toshiba's?

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

UltraView is a marketing name by Motion Computing.
    Motion Computing produced the LE1700 with a default SXGA+ display.
    Then you can upgrade this display with UltraView, this means only that the backlight is brighter. You can also upgrade the default display with ViewAnywhere, which means it has an AR coating so it's better readable outdoors. And finally you can combine UltraView and ViewAnywhere to UltraView Anywhere which is brighter and has an AR coating.
    http://www.motioncomputing.com.au/choose/spec_ultraview.htm

Toshiba? UltraView, ViewAnywhere, ... are names created and used by Motion Computing only. Toshiba tablets don't use this naming scheme, but older SXGA+ toshiba tablets also did not had an option for an AR coating or other things. Motion Computing added the UltraView option later, so I don't think that Toshiba ever used similar display panels Motion Computing used in their LE1700 tablets.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. ivar

ivar Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks,

in fact, I disassembled my LE1700 with VA screen and found almost the same Toshiba SXGA+ LCD inside as my old Portege M200 had (just one number in the factory number was different).

If I would like to have a brighter (UV - equivalent) screen, is it just sufficient to replace my current screen with a new one with a higher brightness? Which LCD screen I should hunt for then? I heard that UV screens also have better viewing angles.

I don't expect any support of my LE1700 here in Germany/Europe (it has been purchased off US ebay, and it is not under warranty anymore), so I am trying to figure out if I can do the screen upgrade myself.

4. Frank

I copied your discussion to a new thread, because it has nothing to do with ericshmericks thread.

Maybe the latest Motion Computing tablet PCs used the Hydis Display, or your current uses it already: (don't know what manufacturer yours is)
    http://www.hydis.com/eng/03_products/productKind.asp?L1=5&L2=2&pdG_Code=2&pd_Num=161&pdvName=TabletPC&openBox=1&subBox=1&openSubBox=0

But 190nits isn't that bright. So either you look for a brighter 12.1" SXGA+ panel, which will be really difficult because they probably don't get produced any longer, or you try to increase the backlight intensity yourself, depending on how handy you are.

5. ivar

ivar Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, Frank,

I found out that Hydis screens are actually not so difficult to get and the price in the range of 200$ (provided I can arrange shipping to Germany) is quite affordable. If I would gain some extra 50cd of brightness and 20 more degrees of viewing angles, I would gladly spend those $$$.

My LE1700 does really have a Toshiba screen. Next time I wil disassemble it for heat/fun modding, I will write its product number down.

There are also "standard" screens on LE1700. What are they? I understand there is no antireflective coating. Which brightness/contract should I expect from those "standard screens?

I would much prefer to try to increase the backlight intensity by myself. I have had the idea, but I don't know what exactly should and can be modded to achieve that. Maybe it is just sufficient to have a brighter CCFL lamp? I think I would be able to replace it. However, the sellers of those lamps usually can't provide any details, so I don't know if it makes sense to try few of them... I also suspect that the inverter itself may need to be modded in order to supppot higher luminosity of the backlight. However, I don't have clear idea what to do. Googling didn't help either. If you happen to know some source, please let me know.

6. Frank

With Standard screen I meant the display without the optional View Anywhere and UltraView options. How bright, don't know.

Backlight modding: I think this can end to be quite difficult. Your best chance to get a brighter and working backlight is to remove the CCFL light and the inverter and replace it with a custom made PWM controlled LED backlight.
    Why? Because it will get really hard to find a better CCFL lamp which fits and is brighter and you don't know the parameters of your inverter.

To give you an idea how this could look like see this german forum post:
    Umbau 8,4" TFT auf LED-Hintergrundbeleuchtung
    So you have to built a stripe with SMD leds, built or buy a LED PWM controller and insert all this in your tablet :)
    LED selection: If you want color accuracy you should try to not use normal white LEDs, which are, in reality, blue LEDs, with a color filter in front of them. So better buy white RGB LEDs with a good color spectrum or use red, green and blue LEDs. If this works and how good, no idea. That's just the theory.

7. ivar

ivar Pen Pal - Newbie

It looks too complicated then ... it's not for me, I am not that heavy tweaker.

8. Rippling Hurst

Rippling Hurst Pen Pal - Newbie

I think this nomenclature is silly. Aparently the F5, C5 and J3400 do not have the Ultraview option. They're either "viewanywhere" or not.

Is there also a sticker in the back to denote the "ultraview" screen?

9. digitaldoctors

digitaldoctors Pen Pal - Newbie

For the SXGA+ LE1700 View Anywhere (VA) units ... there are two types of them.

With the unit turned off, the screen is:
    (1) slightly greeny - indicates older VA screen
    (2) dark black - indicates a newer version of VA.

or

Another way to tell is the newer VA has better viewing angles than the older one.

We are trying to document the differences @ TabletPCbuzz.

10. Adrien

Adrien Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't expect any support of my LE1700 here in Germany/Europe (it has been purchased off US ebay, and it is not under warranty anymore), so I am trying to figure out if I can do the screen upgrade myself.