LE1700 as Cintiq-like input device?

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by johnmiles, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnmiles

johnmiles Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,

I've had my LE1700 for a few years now, and with souped-up memory and an SSD it's worked like a champ. However, I'd like to upgrade to a more modern laptop for everyday use (probably a Macbook), and I'm wondering if it might be possible to use the LE1700 as an external input device, ala a Cintiq? If I could mirror my new laptop's screen to the LE1700 and use it as a graphics tablet, it would save me the trouble of having to move my work from the LE1700 to the Macbook if I want to edit it on the Macbook.

Has anyone every attempted anything like this?

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

3. johnmiles

johnmiles Pen Pal - Newbie

D'oh, should've done a search. Thanks! Looks like it's not quite as simple as just mirroring the desktop via VNC; doing this doesn't carry through pressure sensitivity?

4. GFXmonkey

GFXmonkey Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, although there have been partial software solutions, this is actually pretty tricky to do and get pressure sensitivity as well. I have an LE1700 as well, and had thought it would make a good virtual cintiq, but it's not really practical. There is a program called Virtual tablet that will let you use a TabletPC as an input device, but it won't work like a Cintiq and you'll loose pressure sensitivity as well.

5. AnnAAyms

AnnAAyms Pen Pal - Newbie

It is possible to get pressure data out as well as screen mirroring via VNC on the LE1700 but I only know it possible with the LE1700 running linux (although dual booting is an option for when it isn't being used as a pseudo-cintiq). The forum stoneseeker linked to has useful info in it but to expand a bit on it here are the 2 sites I read through to get it to work on mine:
    http://www.ersatzhaderach.com/blog/...bled-tablet-pc-into-a-networkable-art-tablet/
    http://kinggeek.co.uk/projects/item/27-diytablet/27-diytablet
    The first one (for me) was more useful and you will also want to read through the comments. It is possible to get it to work with the full 1400x1050 screen. You will want to have a usb mouse on hand though since the pen (at least with the way I finally got it to work) is not set up to work directly under linux it is just sending data to the other PC.
    Here is a video of it in action as proof it is possible and to show the general quality at least under how I got it to work. The video feed into the LE1700 is a bit laggy but for me the setup is still usable.

(I've also uploaded a copy of the video rotated)

I've also gotten it to work with a Lenovo X61 and Toshiba Tecra M4 but I couldn't get it to work with a Fujitsu T4220 but stoneseeker's link has someone getting a T4020 to work so I guess the T4220 should be possible too as the models are similar.

6. AnnAAyms

AnnAAyms Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.