Layout/Design Comments for Next Version

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Bishop, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

I thought we might start a collection of suggestions and ideas for Microsoft to consider for the next iteration of Surface Pro after SP3. My initial thoughts are less about processors, screen resolution and other internals, but more about ergonomics and living with the device in the real world.

1. Power button placement. I suspect most users will put the device into a bag/satchel in landscape orientation. With the current design, that forces us to choose between (a) putting the power button on the bottom of the bag - at a higher risk of accidentally being turned on, (b) putting the keyboard connection/hinge down - to take the risk of damage, or (c) separating the keyboard every time it goes into the bag or case.

-----Recommendation: Move the power button to the side

2. Charging connection placement. First, kudos on the design change; it is much easier to connect. The challenge is the placement of the slot between the top and bottom of the frame in relation to the charging cable. It is hard to get a good position for the plug - cable pointing up toward the ceiling or cable pointing down toward the floor, especially when in the lap. This detracts from overall "lapability." There are other desk related challenges depending on where the nearest power socket is located.

-----Recommendation: Move the charging connection to the middle of the side frame.

3. Pen Storage. The current adhesive strip really detracts from what is otherwise a very professional and high quality package. While the debate about the marketing wisdom of comparing SP3 to A**le products rages on elsewhere, I'm trying to imagine an A**le product with a sticker as an accessory storage/connection solution.

-----Recommendation: Almost anything would be an improvement.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  2. JimB

JimB Scribbler - Standard Member

real pen silo built into the case

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Here are my .01:

1. Move the Windows button back to the bottom bezel position in landscape. It does not matter if the type cover blocks it when it is clipped up into position because there is another one on the keyboard.
    2. Move the USB, Display, and Power connectors to the opposite end. When it is in portrait mode the connectors are at the bottom making it difficult to use in portrait with a USB device attached.
    3. Power the USB port to the USB3 standards.
    4. Give it a small fold out kickstand for portrait mode so it will sit at 165° in portrait on the desk or table.

That's it...

Posted entirely from my Venue 8 Pro with the pen nobody thinks works...

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Suggestion: put the words "Surface Pro 4" in the thread title. Not sure if mere mortals can do that after posting though.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Suggestion: put the words "Surface Pro 4" in the thread title...>>

...I actually think that "Next Version" is sufficiently descriptive.

Bear in mind that whenever (or if) we see Surface Pro 4, these suggestions may still need addressing in Surface Pro 5...!

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Here's my $.02 (does that make it twice as valuable as Dan's): ;)

1. Either go to a physical button or get rid of it altogether - it's more of a PITA than of any value.

2. Either Thunderbolt, or two USB 3.1 (either direction plugs)

3. Full size SDXC - you can easily get 256GB extra with that, plus camera compatibility

4. Turn power supply into a hub (stolen from many others)

Now - for ideas I either stole or modified from Dan :eek:

5. Move the USB, Display, and Power connectors to the opposite end. When it is in portrait mode the connectors are at the bottom making it difficult to use in portrait with a USB device attached. (Agree with Dan, so I just stole his idea).

6. Power the USB port to the USB3 standards. (YES - Dan absolutely right about this one)

7. Put a full length kickstand along top edge for portrait note taking.

dceggert likes this.
  7. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have the dock something a bit more fancy than just have what it already has.

1 - How about an SD Card reader on the dock if the SP4 stays MicroSD? (Bit pointless, sure, but why not)
    2 - Have additional cooling on the dock to really improve docked performance. Sure it might only be a little but DO IT as it's only a fan.
    3 - Actually release the power cover in the U.K. (Opps, sorry, that's a jab for not doing so with the SP2)
    4 - Release a cover. We know that you're NOT releasing a Touch keyboard but I DO NOT want to carry the larger Type keyboard everywhere. MAKE a cover. Heck make a cover for the SP3!

dceggert likes this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It would be, if it would follow that with "... of the Surface Pro". If I see "Layout/Design Comments for Next Version" in Google search results, I'm going to have a hard time guessing what this is about. Anyway, carry on.

be77solo likes this.
  9. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

While I understand wanting this, I also want a Pen that is fat enough for actual use (ie the SP3 pen is about perfect size) and also a device as thin as possible. The problem with this is the pens that feel good in the hand and are useable all day are simply bigger than the SP3! Sure, the S-Pen in my Note 3 is great and fits in my phone, but it's not what I want to use all day taking notes and drawing.
    Curious, why can't you just flip the SP3 180 degrees? Sure, the Windows button is on top then, but that's even better so you won't accidentally hit it!

Otherwise, I like all the other ideas, especially a fully powered USB port!

10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Definitely needs a second USB port. And I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'd really like to see a Pro 10 and a Pro 12, both running the same Core series CPUs (though to be honest, I might even be okay with a Core M on the 10, but it depends on what the performance is like).

Also, I don't know why they're keeping the same garbage design for the docking station, now that only one port is needed. The Pro 2 dock was done far better than I expected. It's still overcomplicating things though. Now that it's only one port, why not just a cable with a breakout box at the other end with more ports? That would allow you to actually use the pen (with the kickstand employed) while docked.