Law School Student - which tablet is for me?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Jurisprudence, Jun 26, 2007.

1. JNL

JNL Pen Pal - Newbie

Quick info -- I am an entering law student. I currently have a Vaio T, and love the speed and weight; however, I'd like to switch to a tablet for the first time. I anticipate scanning all of my textbooks to PDFs, so I'd like the option to annotate, highlight, and add text to my scanned texts. With that in mind, I will require a computer for mostly typed notetaking, with the tablet part used for graphs, charts, illustrations as well as reading and highlighting texts.
    (quick Q - I also have a powerful desktop at home. Should I scan my texts to pdf format on the desktop and simply fwd to laptop?)

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? Will pay top $ for the best comp..

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)? Convertible or UMPC

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9"
    Compact ~ 10"
    Mainstream ~ 12.1"
    Large ~ 14"

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from? US

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? No.

6. How many hours battery life do you require? Minimum of 4, but I am told each desk will have its own power hook-up. If the only negative to a tablet pc is its battery power, I don't mind buying a spare to get that comp.

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for?

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run? Internet, Office, and progs editing and viewing pdfs

10. Do you intend playing heavy processor intensive Games? No games, but I frequently use multiple programs simultaneously. (Word, OneNote, Internet, etc.) The quicker the better..

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen? Either's ok.

2. What resolution do you prefer?
    XGA - 1024x768 ~ Large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen.
    WXGA - 1280x768 ~ Wider viewing angle of XGA but ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space.

TONS of reading... what do you suggest?

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option? Whatever is best for intensive reading and notetaking!!

4. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology? Unsure

5. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?? Unsure

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? I would like the best of the best -- I want as little aggravation as possible: quick and reliable.

2. Do you require an Optical Drive? Unsure

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)? If necessary

Again, quick info -- I am an entering law student. I currently have a Vaio T, and love the speed and weight; however, I'd like to switch to a tablet for the first time. I anticipate making all of my textbooks digitalized PDFs, so I'd like the option to annotate, highlight, and add text to my scanned texts. With that in mind, I will require a computer for mostly typed notetaking, with the tablet part used for graphs, charts, illustrations as well as reading and highlighting texts.
    I also have a powerful desktop at home. Should I scan my texts to pdf format on the desktop and simply fwd to laptop?

Thank you for your time and concern!

2. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Regarding the scanning, it doesn't really matter - which one is the scanner hooked up to? If it's already hooked up to the desktop then use that to scan, and transfer later. Saves unnecessary installation =)

If you'll be doing much reading, I think you're going to need a screen size larger than 10", definitely. Active digitiser would be nice but not necessary. For that, the Fujitsu T4215 or 4220 would probably suit quite well, although some people complain about its keyboard (I have no problem with it though). It clocks in at under 2kg without the optical drive.

By the way, annotating, highlighting etc is a limitation of software, not hardware. Just about any tablet will meet that requirement (maybe not weight, speed etc), so you should also consider that you will probably need to invest in a good PDF suite (Adobe Pro, maybe?) after your tablet purchase.

3. jenarelJAM

jenarelJAM Scribbler - Standard Member

I would recommend the X61 Tablet. You can choose either the SXGA+ screen with a higher resolution, or the XGA screen with a lower resolution, but also multitouch, which will allow you to poke the screen with your fingers. Both models also have an active digitizer (for inking). Battery life and weight/size is superb, as is durability. It's a 12.1" screen, standard 4:3 ratio. You can customize it with up to 4GB ram (get it aftermarket, Waaaaaay cheaper) and a 100GB 7200rpm HD (can't get it aftermarket). It uses the new Santa Rosa chipset, so should last a while with great performance. I ordered one myself :p

You might also take a look at the Fujitsu T4220, like kureshii said. The processor is also Santa Rosa, although not a low voltage, so a bit faster, at the expense of battery life.

Either computer, though, should easily be able to keep up with only Office and Internet. I'm not 100% about what's on the T4220, but I know the X61 has just about every wireless connectivity option built in (if you go the wwan route). Bluetooth, A/B/G/N wifi, and wwan (either built-in, or through a card).

4. Jurisprudence

Jurisprudence Pen Pal - Newbie

Welcome fellow legal type person. Im heading into final year law (still hung-over after the good results) and id recommend avoiding the widescreen format. I went for the Asus R1f and although if i had 20/20 hindsight I would have avoided it on build quality/support grounds what struck me after using it in class was that a 4:3 format hi-res screen would have been far more useful.

You will be reading an awful lot of text including long judgements and articles. The hi-res screen would be very beneficial. Look for 1400x1050. If you use Opera to browse cases online you'll be able to zoom in and out at the touch of a button if you find your eyes getting tired. Also use Opera so you can have 40+ cases articles open at once to cross-reference your research. Its brilliant.

In Onenote I personally found the more compressed left to right width of the widescreen format in slate mode very restrictive.

Battery life: 4 hours will be your absolute minimum. Really you will need 8. You really dont need to be thinking about your battery when your dealing with the details of a murder case. Modular or extended batteries will be great for this.

Make sure it has a good onboard mic to record your lectures in Onenote (get lecturers permission of course). The R1f is not sufficient for this.

As for converting books. A lot of people are using scanners for this. As a law student there are better/faster ways. I bought a Casio Exilim S770. I can walk into the library, photograph a book and just leave. I get home and transfer the photos to Acrobat pro then convert. It has saved me thousands of Euros in book costs and a huge amount in terms of time.

Please see this thread for my explanation http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=2149&page=2.

What has been really great about having an ultraslim digital camera with me in college is when a fellow student has found an article which is either not available online or is restricted to certain sections of the legal establishment or simply inconvienient to photocopy I get to photograph it wherever I am. This happens almost every single day.

Overall I recommend going for the SXGA+ IBM X61t. As mentioned elsewhere you should be able to get some good deals on the X60 as the outgoing model. The increased speed of the X61 over the X60 wont really make a difference in lawschool. It doesnt make you read or understand any faster.

Hope this helps.

Druid likes this.
  5. Karst50

Karst50 Pen Pal - Newbie

I already am a law students and I use X61 Tablet and it is really good so I would suggest you to use this one. [Off topic content deleted]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2018
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Haha, those spam bots are getting smarter.. I still have my X61t, but sadly Windows Vista no longer updates.. Also the (by now) 100 nits screen is less than ideal. :D

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Far be it from me, but shouldn't this thread be deleted?

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I run my practice on a 10" Surface 3. But, for a law student, I would probably go with the fanless I5 Surface Pro and dock it to a large display, keyboard and mouse when in your dorm/apartment. The ability to work side-by-side on the large display is great. The Surface 3 I have is nearing the end of its useful life and I don't think it will smoothly handle your scanned case books and horn books. Here is my setup.

[​IMG]

I think you'll get enough battery life out of the fanless I5 Pro to make it through your day. You can take class notes with a keyboard or pen. OneNote is searchable.

Whatever you buy, I recommend you get it at a Microsoft store, if you have one near you. Add on the 2 year Complete Care Warranty. I can't afford to be without my device and neither will you.

I wonder what doing all that reading on a tablet display will do to your eyes.

Oh ... and this is not a bot.

Fluffyfurball likes this.
  9. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't see how you can run your whole practice off a Surface 3! Maybe I had one with slightly faulty hardware, but the first day I sat in class with it having it lock up every time I was printing to OneNote...that was it. It was also not powerful enough to handle the Inbox by Gmail interface without lagging, etc.

What do you mostly use with your S3? Just curious because I found my experience with it to be poor. I know you love yours though!

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Well, that, and a secretary with a desktop Pentium powered Lenovo All in One ThinkStation and a Xerox Workcenter 7835 for the heavy lifting. But, My Surface 3 handles all of my document review chores, PDF annotation, some of my note taking, presentation, excel work, online filing, legal research (Lexis Advance), brief writing, motion and pleading drafting. I primarily run Office/Outlook, Adobe Acrobat Pro, and Drawboard. The only thing I farm out to a more powerful computer is the compiling and bates labeling of large document productions in Acrobat (reviewed and annotated on the S3), billing and bookkeeping.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018