Launch Day Surface 3 Buyers: Did you keep it?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Mesosphere, May 21, 2015.

?

For those that purchased an Surface 3 within a week (<May 12th) of launch day, did you return it?

Poll closed Jun 11, 2015.
  1. returned it.

23.5%
  2. kept it.

76.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I was under the impression that the USB display link drivers had a pretty high number of pixels it could push. I saw a 4 monitor setup using the Dell Venue 8 Pro, dunno what the performance would be like with that though =P

2. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I should have read Bronsky's link better. I wasn't as concerned with USB as I was with HDMI. I was under the impression that HDMI only supported 1920x1080 resolution.

Hey Bronsky, what was primary reason for not going with official Surface dock? Was it desire to write on tablet in "docked" configuration?

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yep. I use my tablet as a telephone call notepad during the day and to record my time on task for billing.

4. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I am Dale JR. The only thing I have kept is the TPY12.5" Gen 1. Which is a pretty amazing device.

If the S3 had faster charging, and a different storage solution I would have been on board.

I am waiting for the unicorn from Lenovo known as the 14"/15" TPY with Active pen.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Wow, I haven't returned anything in months - I must be losing my touch (actually, itching to grab a 16gb/1tb Surface Pro 4).

Dale Sr.

Bronsky likes this.
  6. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I should have added: I am a Pre Surface Pro 3 Era Dale. :vbeek:

dstrauss and Mesosphere like this.
  7. dstrauss

Amazing how I finally found my "niche" - everyone should realize how amazing the Surface Pro 3 is. If it weren't for my tech geek need/desire for "more power" I thin the Surface 3 could do the same for me...

Bronsky likes this.
  8. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

That's a hard thing to give up. It is why I was going to keep my Surface Pro 2 until the Pro 4 or 5 came out. That was until I played with a Surface 3 and really sat back to analyze my usage needs. It was also helpful that I had a work desktop with inferior hardware (2GHz dual-core Pentium, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 4500 RPM HDD, ATI Raidon HD 2000 graphics) that was able to keep up with everything I required out of a PC albeit a little slower (though not by much) than my Surface Pro 2 (but surprisingly not by much with my MATLAB code).

Things would have been different if I really needed the horsepower in my SP2 (or the SP3) but I really didn't, I simply wanted it.

Mesosphere likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have a desktop for my office's accounting and billing. It doubles as a back up for staff, law clerks or Jr. Lawyers. My secretary has a dual Pentium Haswell All-in-One for our calendar, emails, scanning and document production. We have T401s Thinkpads for staff, etc and I have my X301. I do nearly 100% of my work on the X301 When I saw the X7's benchmarks, it was clear that the 4w X7 Atom was faster than the 10w SU9300 C2D in the X301. Since the X301 did everything I needed, the S3 is really all I need to replace it. Now, I would have preferred a fanless Core M powered S3 but I am quite impressed with this lowly Atom. My Lenovo keyboard and USB 3.0 docking station came today. I'm sorry I don't have time to play or I would go pick up a display (probably 20") and take the X301 out of service. My son is chomping at the bit to get his hands on it. I think the S3 and my Lumia 928 is all I need ATM. That is, until the Lumia 940 XL is released. Verizon better have it as soon as it is available.

10. dstrauss

I sure wish I could go back to my better days of "The Quest for the Least Computer" from a Jim Seymour article in PC Magazine which should be a must read for all of us:

03/29/88, p. 133 - check it out at Google Books https://books.google.com/books?id=20tQCmhyNEMC&pg=PA228&dq=pc magazine march 29, 1988&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Yz9vVe7SL4mKsAX854CIAQ&ved=0CEsQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=pc magazine march 29, 1988&f=false

Quoting the late Mr. Seymour:

"All of that pales, however, ever time I pick up the T1000 and smile as I wedge it into my carry-on bag. Because, simply put, it is the Least Computer I've found I'm happy using. And at $750 to $800 (street prices), it's an incredible bargain. 'Worst computer' heck. If matching computing power to the task at hand is the name of the game, the T1000 is one of the best computers I've used."

The colossus he was talking about - the single floppy drive Toshiba T1000 with 640k (YES, "K") RAM drive - I owned (still have it) one of those - and just think it would cost $1,627.81 today - take that all you whiners about the high cost of Microsoft's Surface computers!

12.2" W × 11.0" D × 2.05" H (310 × 280 × 52 mm), 6.4 POUNDS!
    [​IMG]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba_T1000

Kumabjorn, Bronsky and cliffr39 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.