Latitude ST Tablet - Tweaks, thoughts and a little more

Discussion in 'Dell' started by excalibur1814, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

The Atom CPU is really unusable. The ink lags, you can't open more than 2 to 3 programs at one go... and it takes like 2+ second to load a new page on a PDF that has a bunch of text and figures. I tried out a colleague's iPad 2 and there was no lag when browsing PDF files, but the lag on the Latitude ST is totally unacceptable. Even my phone loads PDF faster than the Latitude ST.

Is this behavior typical? Do you experience immense slowness and can anything be done about this?

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

:( Nearly any dual core atom would probably laugh at the cpu in the ST. You can tweak it to a point where the cpu time is as close to 0% as possible under Windows 7 and it then becomes a bit better but machines like the Acer W500 leave it behind covered in dust. I'm actually amazed that Dell still sells the thing and Intel should be ashamed to release such a weak cpu.

Other than that it's quite nice and I love the stylus holder. P.s. You can't really compare an ipad to a full OS running machine like this. Heck my Titan 2 is probably faster than the ipad for certain tasks but I wouldn't compare it :)

If you can return it then I would do so before you regret it even more. (Luckily i got mine for free so it's not that bad.)

3. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

I recently picked up one of these from the Dell Outlet with a coupon code... Picked up a 64gig model for 245 out the door. I have been messing around with it so far and wanted to insert an SD card as a readyboost drive but every card I have tried says that readyboost has been disabled. Does anyone know how I can reactivate it? I also heard that readyboost only goes up to 4gb... I tried several 8gb cards and a 2gb card, so if anyone can shed light on that, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

4. excalibur1814

5. piratesmvp04

piratesmvp04 New Tablet PC User

I just purchased the 32 GB Latitude ST from Dell Outlet Store for $299 and free shipping. I'm so pumped and can't wait. Hoping my experience will be better than with my Asus T101MT.

6. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

The price was great, but the ST is a quite slower.

7. marcel0lowrie

marcel0lowrie Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi I just got this tablet from a family member who works at dell. He gave it to me with win 8 installed and no wifi. I dont know the state of the drivers installed so I figured to be safe I need to reinstall things. First win 7, which for some reason I STILL cant get wifi working. I think I messed up the install of the drivers. I only just now found out about the "radio and rotate control utility" which sounds key to getting wifi/sim networks working. Now I have rotation but still no wifi.

I'd greatly appreciate that iso for the vLite'd win 7 install. So hopefully I can get this tablet back to running order with wifi being pretty important. Then maybe I'd like to see if I can get win 8 to run stably.

I registered just so I could post this and ask but I do feel bad about no being a member first and have contributed nothing to only ask, so I understand if you refuse. I will lurk around a bit and read the forums for an answer. This tablet seems very nice and win 7 is responsive enough that I could see myself getting work done on it, only all my work is done in the cloud persay so I need wifi to be able to do anything productive.

Thanks.

8. excalibur1814

hello marcel0lowrie,

PM me your address and I'll send you the iso :)

9. marcel0lowrie

Ok gosh this is embarrassing but for the life of me I dont see a way to pm.

10. marcel0lowrie

It wont let me edit either so here is a disposable email when you get the chance.
    I think it's protection on spam accounts with less than a certain amount of posts not letting me pm or edit.
    M8R-xicdgw@mailinator.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.