Latitude 5290 2-in-1

Discussion in 'Dell' started by kurt corbin, May 16, 2018.

1. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm trying to configure a 5290 in the USA. Great to have the Thunderbolt, but I found some weirdness.

There are 2 wireless options:

Intel® Dual Band Wireless AC 8265 (802.11ac) 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.1.....+ $6.75...and...

Intel 8265 Wi-Fi + BT 4.2 Wireless Card (2x2), Face IR Capable....Included in price

So the BT 4.2, with IR is single band. Can't get those options with dual band, which costs more.

For LTE, in the USA it's locked for Sprint, Verizon, or ATT. It's unlocked if you buy it in the UK. Surface pro looks better for LTE. Looks to be completely unlocked with e-sim options, easy switching, etc.

For the battery, you have the choice of long-life or fast charge. Huh?

Anybody here have the 5290? If so, have they fixed the problems referred to in the 5285 thread?

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

According to the notebook check review it still runs quite hot.

I LOVE the FACE IR and would probably go for that option. So easy to look at the Surface and log in with no fuss. I'd love to try a 5290 but it's still too expensive for a refurb.

3. mr_handy

mr_handy Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone here actually gotten a 5290? They've gotten really cheap on outlet ($620-$670 before coupons for 16GB RAM models, some lower-end specs as low as ~$450) and with the Cyber Monday 28% off coupon, that was too good to resist. I just ordered a relatively high-spec one (i7-8650U, 16GB, 256gb NVMe) to replace my aging but still mostly serviceable Venue 11 Pro.

Granted, that's before the travel keyboard and pen...

Any quirks I should be aware of? Any reason not to wipe their factory image in favor of a clean Windows 10 Pro installation?

4. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

I had one for a few days (i5, 8gb), so my impressions are all very surface level. Found the machine to be extremely responsive and felt very well built. Screen looked great to me as well. I ended up sending mine back, however, because the screen uses PWM, and unfortunately I tend to get bad headaches with any displays that use that tech (doesn't seem to affect most people).

I actually got stuck keeping the keyboard though, so if you want a practically new keyboard for cheap, let me know.

mr_handy likes this.
  5. mr_handy

mr_handy Pen Pal - Newbie

So got mine today, and have been setting it up. Compared to my Venue 11 (i5-4300y, 8gb, SATA SSD) this one (i7-86540u, 16GB, NVMe) is unbelievably fast, not really surprising. Much lighter, too. The keyboard is no worse (not that that's a high bar), Surface is wayyy too slick for pen use, so I have some anti-glare screen protectors coming.

I can't imagine paying full freight for this, but at the outlet pricing this is pretty sweet for 4 years of progress.