Latitude 10 Fingerprint Reader

Discussion in 'Dell' started by woodyu388, Aug 14, 2013.

1. woodyu388

woodyu388 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is already answered in the 90+ page Latitude 10 thread, but I didn't see it and couldn't find it by searching. A customer of mine recently purchased the Latitude 10 Enhanced Security Configuration tablet with fingerprint reader, and I've been having trouble helping them get the fingerprint reader to repeatably read fingerprints. My fingers generally work pretty well with most other fingerprint readers I've tried, but this one doesn't seem to like either my fingers or my customers'. It seems to work maybe 1 time out of 10. So, I wanted to ask if anyone knows the correct way to use the fingerprint reader on the Latitude 10. In particular:

1. Are you supposed to swipe your finger over the fingerprint reader, or just touch it? Most computers require you to swipe, but this reader is square shaped and almost looks like it's designed to just be touched. If it's swipe based, which direction do you swipe in (along the long direction of the tablet, or the other direction?)
    2. Do you use a light touch or heavier press when scanning?
    3. Any other tips to improve fingerprint reading reliability?

Thanks

2. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...anyone knows the correct way to use the fingerprint reader...>>

...From the PCMag.com website:

"... The top of the tablet holds the system's added smart card and biometric fingerprint reader... The fingerprint reader is situated so that you can swipe your index finger on the reader when you're holding the tablet without moving the rest of your hand...."

So it would appear that you are supposed to swipe your finger (horizontally, I guess)...

3. woodyu388

woodyu388 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah... the Dell Access software that comes on the tablet also mentions the word "swipe", but in the animation that it shows, it looks like a conventional fingerprint reader rather than the square shaped one on the Latitude 10, so I'm guessing it's just showing something generic. This customer of mine is planning to roll out several of the these tablets for his business, so I'll get another chance to play with one soon and see what I can figure out.

4. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...the Dell Access software that comes on the tablet also mentions the word "swipe", but...>>

...I'd just try it both ways and see which way provides the most reliable operation. Or you could call Dell Tech Support and ask...?

Alternatively, the next time you are able to handle one, check the software and see if you can determine the brand of fingerprint reader Dell is using; you may be able to get information on the reader directly from the manufacturer's website...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  5. pappyxmas

pappyxmas Pen Pal - Newbie

Some people, like me for instance, have a lot of problems with finger prints. There's a whole hand scanner at the entrance to a couple of sites I take care of and I've had to try as many as a dozen times to get in. Recently I've discovered that if I use Corn Husker's hand lotion just before I attempt to scan, it works better.