late '18 Spectre x360, 15.6" 4k matte, 45w 6 core 2.2 GHz i7-8750H coffee lake,16GB, GTX1050Ti maxQ

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kurt corbin, Nov 28, 2018.

1. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    dellaster and Steve B like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It has the 1050 Ti Max-Q. This is a prime candidate to replace my Surface Book sometime next year—though a 512GB SSD would be fine for me.

That is, unless something with a better gaming ability-to-watt ratio comes out. A Turing successor to the MX150, perhaps? We'll see.

It's a shame that the Kaby Kake G + AMD Vega GPU combo looks to be a dead end. I wouldn't consider it anymore since they might not bother to update drivers for it in the future. :(

3. kurt corbin

Max-Q means it's a lower-watt version of the normal 1050Ti. The i7-8750H is what they're putting in the Omen.

You can also get the x360 pre-configured with glossy 4k, Whiskey Lake i7-8565U, MX150, 16GB, and 256GB for $1480. Unlike the 8th gen Coffee Lake, Whiskey Lake has hardware mitigation for Meltdown 3 and Foreshadow 5.

"HP’s promising better cooling for the Spectre x360 15, with bigger dual fans, dual radiators, an (internal) IR thermal sensor, and up to three heat pipes. HP also says that it’s added a new 3-phase fan motor for more consistent fan speed control. Unfortunately you can’t turn off the fan entirely." --PC World

With all that cooling, you might as well get the H, but I wonder if the fan is always on, no matter what. PC World's review could be better. For example they say the 6-core CPU is Whiskey Lake. Nope. Coffee Lake.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 5:10 AM
  4. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Fortunately you still can install & update the graphics drivers from Intel and AMD directly if thats your concern.
    HP didn't release a single update for the Vega graphics themselves since initial release...

On the previous generation you can disable the fan at low temps in the bios.

dellaster likes this.
  5. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm thinking two or three years down the road when a new game comes out that doesn't run right. Are they going to add an update for an old GPU that they abandoned? I'm guessing not.

AMD already has problems on some games with their GPUs, including this one as Lisa @MobileTechReview showed in her review. If they abandon the collaboration with Intel and there's no successor I don't think they'll want to spend another dime or minute further on it. Unfortunately. :(

6. kurt corbin

My email to HP sales dept: What version is the HDMI?
    Answer: Yes, it has HDMI.

ATIVQ likes this.