Last gen 7820HQ i7 in a late 2018 $5000 all in one? What the F are you doing Microsoft? Seriously!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

The studio is still effectively a desktop computer isn't it? Why did they ever put a laptop CPU in or are they now just as powerful as desktop variants?

In which case - for £5K (with customs our prices become $1=£1) wouldn't you want the desktop i9 CPU or am I missing something?

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I'm as puzzled as everyone else about the Studio 2 refresh. As I said in another discussion thread, it's as if the Studio is trapped one click behind every other Surface model...?!??

However, I'm sure that there are two sides to this story. The choice of processor could have been an issue of design balance between the CPU and the discrete graphics device (which I guess is a GTX 1070). If the 7820 and the 1070 are a well-matched pair, then as a system they will work well together. Putting in a dramatically more capable processor might not have been as good a system choice and might have actually degraded performance at the system level!

And before we get too hung up on 8th Gen, let me point out that modern processor designs involve a balance between computational throughput and power consumption; a Gen 4 4770HQ actually does almost as well as a 7820HQ, but it uses more power to do it. Power alone might not be a serious consideration for an AC-powered desktop... after all, you're plugged into the limitless power of the wall socket... but heat and fan noise still are.

So I suspect that the Studio 2 refresh, while seemingly unexciting, was probably dictated by a series of not-very-obvious system trades.

Just my opinion, though...

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yes, they probably put in a cheaper chip because it worked better, I can think of no other motivation. :D

(yes, I saw your arguments, but is there ever a case where a better chip gives worse combined performance? At worst it could bottleneck for graphics heavy games, but don't we all want some headroom so there's no CPU bottleneck?)

Marty and Azzart like this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

I (hope) I take all that on the chin - however, I looked at the Intel page on those included chips and the price for the older and the newer laptop CPU was around $380. I just checked the price of the 1070 graphic card and that is around £350-£400 (so a similar $ price)

What is it about the Microsoft device that makes it worth $5K price tag then? I don't get it and I certainly wouldn't put down the kind of money Microsoft are talking about. Oh - and I appreciate the detail - PC tech isn't a strong point for me. (Which is why I asked advice in another thread on a bespoke PC build)

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

All in ones with small footprints like Surface Studio usually use laptop parts.

SS also has internal power supply so thete not much space in there for anythibg other than laptop parts.

7. doobiedoobiedum

Would YOU spend the money on a Surface Studio if you were only after a desktop all-in-one?

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

The $3500 model would be fine for me.
    I mean, I spent €2700 on a portable device like the Surface Book 2, so why not?
    In Europe though the price skyrockets to insane for the Surface Studio making it not worth anymore.

9. Bitech

Bitech Pen Pal - Newbie

The Surface products are basically the Macs of Windows. Overpriced, non-upgradeable, outdated specs (no 8th gen CPU in the Studio, only 2 of the Surface products have USB type-C...)

efjay likes this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Until MS replaces their pen tech with something that works as promised, this all might as well be happening in a sci-fi movie. It's interesting and looks cool, but has no relevance on reality.

YVerloc and yodamiked like this.