Laptop with Wacom EMR and powerful GPU

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by janimator0, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Agreed about the Thunderbolt 3 ports...
    IMHO, the Zbook offers a huge number of port options considering the form factor.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I wouldn't hold my breath fro the Acer Switch 7 - I too believe it is vaporware, but worse yet, if it is not, you really have to question why it would take almost NINE MONTHS from announcement to sale (if it ever does enter the market).

artistebot likes this.
  3. Happehlemons

Happehlemons Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems like the zBook is the better choice when it comes to MSP vs zBook, but the one feature it seems to be lacking in the zBook is the ability to use it as a Cintiq / External Monitor. Has anyone tested the Wacom Link or an external USB-C display on the zBook. I can't see it working, but if it did I would get rid of my MSP for it.

4. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

my zbook just showed up today and I also own a MSP 16. Both are great. I spent the day loading it up and worked on it for part of day at my local coffee shop. i like the form factor for the zbook more than the MSP for portability and ease of use and setup. Zbook is more comfortable for coding or typing. But the MSP can do the job with a good keyboard. The MSP pen feels better to me than the zbook and the screen is larger. IMO its the best pen you can get. I have to tote a Bluetooth keyboard or my wacom express key remote to get things done on the MSP. Not a bad deal, it fits in my soft case, but the MSP16 is a BEAST. its huge, and takes a few seconds longer to setup. I also have the flip steady case for my MSP which makes a huge difference in the usability of the MSP. It sucked before i got the flipsteady case/stand. MSP does get rather hot on one side. not sure about the zbook yet. not enough time on it to compare hand comfort.

The zbook feels slightly faster, but thats to be expected for two generations newer CPU. No time yet for direct comparisons pushing big brushes around in photoshop to test real world speeds. I doubt there will be much difference painting, but rendering videos will probably be noticeably faster. GPU looks about the same performance wise. Battery is better so far on the zbook, but thats not saying much considering the 3ish hours i get on the MSP. I have not used z enough to know life under full load.

Its nice to have both, but if i could only have one i would probably go for the zbook despite not having the best pen. but, keep in mind i use a big cintiq at the studio so im more concerned with having a low powered portable workstation for remote work. If i could only had one tablet device i would probably go for the MSP16 due to the size, advanced mature drivers, and superior drawing and painting experience. it makes a big difference for long hours on desktop software.

I also gave the samsung note 9 a shot. still have it here , im taking it back. its a nice EMR feel, large screen. but the form factor sucked. Im not a fan of 2 in 1 design. if it was really cheap i would give it a go. The driver is not very feature full, i missed allot of buttons and express keys im used to from Wacom. I never got around to seeing if there was ways to bind keys and such, because i decided i would rather try the new form factor of the zbook.

You can find deals often for HP. i scored 20% off a 8th gen cpu, 16gb ram 512SSD computer. It was about 800-900$ cheaper than my MSP16, not counting the soft case and the flipsteady case/stand. The Zbook feels tougher, more durable. But who knows for sure.

If you go MSP, you might consider waiting for the MSP2, we are due for a refresh. But, who knows when it will happen. im hoping this year, and that wacom copies HP zbook form factor. its really a nice setup so far.

5. janimator0

janimator0 Pen Pal - Newbie

So I went ahead to buy a Samsung notebook 9 pro. I had to go through hurdles to get it since I'm not living in America, but rather Canada. I disappointed with the purchase, and unfortunately, it's too late to return it. The drawing on this device is laggy still and unusable at times. It's strange too because the stylus works on both my old ancient and still undefeated Fujitsu T901. The difference in lag is like night and day. At this point, I'm at a loss as to find a tablet PC that actually just works. I'm sure Wacom Mobile Studio Pro might do the trick ( i mean it must right? ), but its lack of power and non-laptop design makes it a no-go for me.

I think I'm going to blame this on Windows 10. At this point, it seems like the only factor involved. If anyone here thinks I'm wrong please prove me wrong, I'm willing to post videos and perform tests to prove that the current state of tablet PC's is worse then it was 7 years ago.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Notebook 9 Pro shouldn't be that laggy. I have the Galaxy Book 10.6.....same S-pen EMR flavor.....but with a way Weaker Core m3....and my pen behaves lag free. A more powerful Core i5/i7 shouldn't behave that way.

By chance have you tried disabling the Radeon Graphics? Sometimes graphics drivers can be kind of wonky. And passively I do recall hearing Lag issues from some board members with both the Zbook and MSP16.... if memory recalls all driver/graphics based. A fresh re-install/reset of Windows 10 might also do the trick.

thatcomicsguy and DRTigerlilly like this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, you should not be experiencing lag on that machine. I've got one and it runs very well.

That being said... What software are you doing your drawing in?

Krita is laggy on large canvases and Photoshop CC is just permanently weird and frustrating in Windows 10 no matter what hardware you're running.

Clip Studio Paint on Win10 has an excellent pen/cursor response, however. Most other paint programs, including Corel Painter, Sketchbook Pro and even SAI all have perfect response times.

You can bind the button however you like using a couple of the hacks mentioned in this thread and elsewhere.

Once you get it tuned up to speed, it's an excellent tool. -But I do agree with you; the old generation of Tablet PCs, despite their inch-thick decks and last decade tech were very well polished and satisfying machines to work on. -But we need to remember; it took a few years of polish and hackery-doo to get them there. The dark bowls of this forum contain hundreds of pages documenting the trials of frustrated users struggling to solve stupid problems, just like today with the newer gear.

8. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I gave up on the "EMR + powerful GPU" combo years ago... in one device, anyway, because having to cool a GTX 1060/1070/1080 in a tablet form factor is hilariously impractical, and the kind of laptops that would pack one of those in the first place generally don't have pen input at all.

My way around this was to get a Wacom Cintiq Companion Hybrid, which can run off of its battery while in monitor mode (I've tested it myself), and consider getting a decently powerful (read: "VR ready") gaming/mobile workstation laptop to pair alongside it when funds allow. In the meantime, it makes its home on my desktop.

A $4,000 budget, even in Canadian dollars, should be able to accommodate that fairly easily, but insisting on buying new makes that difficult since that'd rule out cheap Cintiq Hybrid and Companion 2 models on the used market, leaving expensive MobileStudio Pros with Wacom Link accessories costing extra.

Alas, it seems you've already made your move with the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro; too bad it sounds like a disappointment. Finding a good EMR implementation is a real crapshoot, and only Fujitsu's 13.3" convertibles were consistently good at it, at least once you figured out the right Wacom driver versions to use.

9. janimator0

janimator0 Pen Pal - Newbie

As of now, for me, yes. At least when it comes to tablet PC. I'm a guy that relies of fast drawing in photoshop and adobe animate (flash). I think it may be 2 things. T901 has less resolution and windows 10 seems to hinder drawing performance significantly. I also use adobe CS6 which seems to suck on windows 10 machines. Its such a mess, i ended up buying a notebook 9 pro and am dissapointed.

kneehowguys likes this.
  10. Cassie Griffin

Cassie Griffin Pen Pal - Newbie

Your buying budget is very good for a laptop. You can get supper to configure laptop at your desired price. You can check its Rm and Graphics card stander when taking a laptop. I had bought a laptop from HP company which run and work fast.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.