1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Laptop/tablet for school with pressure sensitive stylus, and for gaming?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by WhiteBeardedMonkey, Nov 21, 2012.

1. WhiteBeardedMonkey

WhiteBeardedMonkey Pen Pal - Newbie

Im going to school soon, and im taking 2 art classes (digital). I also like playing games a lot. I also need to take notes. I really would like a full laptop that converts into a tablet with a stylus and pressure sensitivity. Thanks.

1. What is your budget?
    $1000, although I think I can budge up to $1200 if I need to.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Nope, I need it new please.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    I need it to be a complete laptop, but turn into a tablet.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    10-14 inches, but if there is something above or below that ill consider it

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    United States

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Nope, im new to laptops so im open to anything.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    At least 4, but anything really will do.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Everything, but the main one will be drawing.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows 7, or 8. Preferably both, because I want a laptop that can turn into a tablet.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Microsoft office, photoshop, adobe premiere, and toonboom studio(animation program).

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Yes, not TOO heavy games, but games like starcraft 2, warcraft 3, and league of legends. I dont want them to run perfectly, just really smoothly on ultra low settings.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Yeah, a full HDMI port would be really nice.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    Nope, open to anything.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Yes, but mainly indoors.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    Yes, and with pressure sensitivity, with at least like 200 levels of sensitivity. I prefer wacom, but im open to anything.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    Yeah, I need at least 256 gb.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Yes, full sized USB, and an SD card slot would be nice, but not required. I would also like a CD drive, but thats not COMPLETELY necessary, although i would really really like it.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    I would like 2 cameras, speakers and a mic.