Laptop Sun Glasses?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by swidwaks, Apr 10, 2010.

1. swidwaks

swidwaks Scribbler - Standard Member

Alright.. so it seems to me that the tm2 doesn't have the best screen around, both in color quality and brightness.

The color thing I can deal with, but the brightness is keeping me inside =/

I've been looking around for solutions, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of them.

1) Glarewear Sunglasses... polarized glasses, supposedly only allow light from laptop.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately rather expensive, I believe theyre around $130 US shipped.
    http://www.glarewear.com/

2) Pinhole sunglasses... Wondering if something like this, or any other glasses which reduce the amount of light reaching your eyes, would improve the viewing experience. Its a sunny day, so I might try and make some DIY pinhole or raccoon glasses.

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Laptop_20Sunglasses < Discussion on another site about it. Has anyone here had any experiences with any of the glasses?

Marty likes this.
  2. dakracker

dakracker Pen Pal - Newbie

So I hadn't thought about this until just now, but let me think out loud (dangerous being a physicist I know).

The light coming off the laptop screen is polarized (just put on a pair of polarized sunglasses and tilt your head). Even if the light reflecting off the screen is random, a pair of polarized lenses should cut the refection by 50% without cutting down the screen, and if the light refecting off it is polarized, which it may be depending on the time of day and the angle at which you're sitting (the point of polarized sunglasses after all is to help with polarized reflections, like off water, or the hood of the oncoming cars), then it would help even more.

Problem is, sunglasses are tinted to, so making the screen darker, and not helping much.

I know you can buy clear polarized glasses (or almost clear), like a pilot might wear, or you might wear to drive at night. Looks like this is all the first product really is (and you could go to an eye doctor and get a pair made for less than that!). Might be worth checking the eye center at wal-mart or something.

EDIT: "Clear" may have been a bad choice of words. Just looking at a polarized lens in any give light, it will appear lightly tinted, because its cutting out part of the light that isn't polarized like it is, but it won't cut out any polarized light. Almost like magic! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTpGxIRFGoY

3. swidwaks

hey dak yeah thats actually the idea behind the glarewear sunglasses..

from what I've read, the angle of polarization for laptop screens and for normal sun glasses is different,... 45* and 90* if I remember correctly... im not really sure how all of that works, but I know someone was able to readjust those clippy polarized glasses to work, but to get it to the correct angle makes them mighty awkward.

4. dakracker

Yea, I checked it with my sunglasses, and the TM2 screen is 90 degrees (head turned sideways). I know some wal-mart sunglasses are actually polarized wrong, but they'd be write for this, but it'd be blind luck finding a pair. Or maybe John Lennon sunglasses?

Either way, I tried it inside and out, and the effect was not dramatic. My old laptop screen would nearly go black when I tried this, the TM2 its barely noticable. I question how much those glasses would help.

5. swidwaks

When you tried it and it didnt work, were they sideways? Also, were they the clearer polarized glasses or just normal, darkened ones.

I was gonna go out and buy a pair at walmart, since theyre like 20$ compared to the 130$ for glarewear heh, but if they dont work I wont bother.

Too bad theres no way to make the screen itself brighter heh, like them ipads =p That or too bad the ipad don't work for nothing, bright or not =/

6. dakracker

I didn't mean they didn't work, just not a lot. Though my glasses are also tinted, so that doesn't help. You could tell which way the screen was polarized, just the effect wasn't as dramatic as my old laptop which would go black.

And I just thought about it, even though its a 90 degrees, if you use it in portrait mode, no worries!

7. Morrison

Morrison Pen Pal - Newbie

Think of light as a surge. Unpolarized* light (sun, light bulb, etc) vibrates in all directions but for now let's say that it "waves" just in the vertical and horizontal planes. Imagine a wave "standing up" along a vertical plane and the other one "lying down" and travelling on a horizontal plane.

Polarised glasses work like a picket hedge. The vertical waves will go through the gaps in that fence and the horizontal ones will stop at the slats.

There are different methods to polarise light. One is through reflection on water or non metallic surfaces (that's the main reason that polarised glasses are great for driving or fishing). Another way is using a filter (your LCD display). And those waves are mostly horizontal so the slats in your fence/glasses will stop most of that light. Rotate your phone and you'll manage to see the light coming from it (now vertical).