Laptop Inspiron 8100 Hard Disk crashes?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jordan_lee, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jordan_lee

jordan_lee Pen Pal - Newbie

I was on my laptop, Inspiron 8100, and everything was fine, no errors or anything. Took a break and when I came back my computer had a black screen. I tried to restart and it goes to the dell load page and windows Vista page but that’s it. It goes back and forth between the two pages. A blue screen pops up between them for about half a second. I took a picture of it so I could read it, the error code is 0x000000ed. After this when I restarted my laptop it showed me disk boot failure. Every time I tried to recover the HDD I failed and got the same message.

2. everythingblogcast

everythingblogcast Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like its the hard drive is faulty, I would recommend you getting Spinrite and testing your hard drive, it costs about $80 from grc.com reports of it says that if it cant fix your hard drive dell just needs to hear spinrite to issue you with a replacement.

3. Daring

Daring Moderator

This error message just means an unmountable volume. It can be an indication of a faulty hard drive, but can mean the BIOS lost its settings, a faulty cable, or just that it finds the drive fine but can't find the boot loader. There is a second parameter on the blue screen that may be able to assist you. You can read more about the error here. If you really need your data consider purchasing an external 2.5" enclosure and putting your HD in that and connecting it to a desktop. If everything works fine there, it may be something wrong with the Dell.

I know how painful this can be so good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. dower

dower Pen Pal - Newbie

If you need to replace the HD, and it's out of warranty, luckily, laptop HD's are pretty cheap nowadays. Hop over to newegg, and you can probably find one for $60+ (depending on desired speed and size). Dell's have their drives in easy to get to locations, so it shouldn't be too bad. You'll just need to pop the drive out of the tray, carefully remove the rear connector (it covers the HD pins), then slap in the new HD, put the connector on the back, and slip it back in.

Good Luck!

5. cameron96spears

cameron96spears Pen Pal - Newbie

I had similar problem. While installing Windows Vista, my HDD crashed. I tried every possible thing to get my data back. But, problem was I recreated partition table and data recovery seemed to be difficult. I contacted Salvage Data Recovery Lab at 76 Progress Drive Corporate Park; Stamford, CT 06902. They provided me the right software and
    guided me to recover data. Thanks for their service and help. I got 100% of my data back.

6. robert1208

robert1208 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am having a similiar issue that I may have created myself by hitting the power switch too soon to recover from a "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" thing...:(

I can't read the error message on the blue screen because it closes so fast and was wondering how to take a picture of it.

I am not sure whether the startup problem I am having is software or hardware related. Does anyone know how to determine that?

thanx...

7. pirround

pirround Pen Pal - Newbie

When I see this kind of "viral" shilling for a company it makes me see red:

Compare this thread where Cameron refers Jordan to the "Recovery" Lab with

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=5885 where Jordan refers Cameron there and also

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=5932 where Cameron refers Jordan to the company.

I'll stay a long way away from any company that needs to do this to drum up business.

8. ahamilton55

ahamilton55 Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice catch pirround. It does seem like this is a ploy from the two of them especially with both of their few posts being almost exactly the same.

9. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm already on to this.

Similar email addresses, ISP, Time Zone, etc.....

Banned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.