Laptop for work and drawing

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by corneredcorvid, Jan 4, 2020.

1. corneredcorvid

corneredcorvid Pen Pal - Newbie

Some time ago when the tablet PC market was a bit thinner I joined here (and can't remember the username for the life of me) and ended up with one of the S1 Thinkpads. It's served me... alright, got the short end of the display lottery and then spent way too much time fixing driver issues until it recently gave up on letting windows install at all and became my box for linux experiments that keeps trying to die and that I keep cruelly resurrecting. I liked it despite it all (wacom emr makes up for a lot eh?) but I'm now in need of something new that I can actually rely on, and in the meantime I have totally lost track of what's out there.

1. What is your budget?
    max $1500

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    generally no, I prefer to buy new

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    convertible laptop, I have to be able to use it as a laptop without setting it on a table

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    12-14"
    5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Not generally, though maybe I'll stay away from lenovo if the displays are still a gamble

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    8+

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
    It will be going back and forth to work with me regularly (so not too heavy please!), where it will mainly be doing bookkeeping and research. I also do drawing and 2D animation. My iPad Pro 10.5 has been the daily driver for art tasks but I'm hoping for something I can use to more effectively do finishing touches/editing

9. Do you have an OS preference?
    Windows (damn quickbooks for locking me in this box!)

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    Quickbooks Pro, Clip Studio, whatever other assorted drawing software catches my interest

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    -minimum 1920x1080, those 2k and 4k displays on the newer ultrabooks sure do look nice...
    -must be able to drive an external display of at least 1920x1080

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    No

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    Must have a pressure-sensitive pen, prefer Wacom EMR if I can get it, but mostly I just need something suitable for drawing, don't know if any of the others have gotten better since I was last looking.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    256GB storage, 8gb RAM is minimum, but I would really prefer more (especially RAM)

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any?
    I need some way to connect to an external display and flash drives, preferably enough ports to do both at once while charging

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Lilawyn likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It sucks that you had such bad luck with the Thinkpad. Anybody would figure they'd know how to make a superior laptop!

Anyway, allow me to put forward my go-to suggestion for folks in your position:

You're not going to get 8+ hours of battery, but I've been a huge fan of the Samsung 2-1in-1 Wacom-enabled series. They're reliable, powerful and the drawing experience is excellent. They are expensive, but less than other EMR machines in their class, (which are crazy-expensive!). With their latest model soon to hit shelves this year, the Notebook 9 Pro (they come in 13" and 15") which originally debuted in mid 2017 are still available new (and exclusively) at BestBuy. They are within your budget. The upcoming 15.6" version may push up to $2000, though, so maybe not that one.

The Samsung section has a number of threads you can read through to get an idea of the product line. The specific machine I have has its own long thread.

Anyway, there are a few other machines out there, but this one is my favorite, and after 2.5 years of use now with only a few small caveats of any note, I have great praise for it. And the biggest item is that it remains one of the only (semi-affordable) machines in its class which uses Wacom EMR.

Lilawyn likes this.
  3. corneredcorvid

corneredcorvid Pen Pal - Newbie

Oof, it looks like I just missed a killer sale on the older 13" pro at best buy - $809 but now sold out. rip. The newer pros are using AES right? So it's only the "Pen" models that use EMR for now? Will they work with older pens (like the Fujitsu wacom pens?) or is it slightly different samsung sauce for button configuration and such?

I could write a novella about my troubles with the Yoga, truly. I've learned so much about computers in the process of keeping that thing running! It draws like a dream when it can hold still for a minute though.

What is the battery life like in your experience? The ol' Yoga had about 4 hours of battery life web browsing and less if I was putting it to work, and that's a really restrictive number, especially going head to head with my iPad, which I have never had to pack a charger for unless I was leaving for multiple days.

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm not sure about new Notebook 9 Pros using AES. They might be MPP.

You should just get the 15" S-pen Notebook 9 Pro while it's still on sale for $950 at Best Buy. You want the quad core i7 and 16GB of RAM.