Lack of activity/reviews on TabletPcReview.com

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by Seketh, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

I'm sorry for creating this thread, but it's time.

What prompt me to do it was the lack of a TM2 review.

I really can't understand the lack of activity on this website (news headlines), especially since the iPad, even months before it was revealed, generated a lot of interest about tablets.

Tablets are becoming mainstream tech. This website should be booming with articles.

So, what's happening?

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not so sure about that. The iPad is getting a lot of press attention but I've been talking to a lot of people about the iPad and there's interest in it for sure but most people are taking a wait and see attitude especially with all of the tablets coming out this year.

A $500 device that's less powerful than laptops at that price point or lower will NEVER been mainstream. $300 or less is where this type of device will do well.

As for lack of "professional" reviews, yeah, not a lot, but fortunately there's people like me that have covered the tm2 FAR better than the "professionals". Personally, most "professional" is so horrible these days that to be honest I just don't bother.

3. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

I did watch your review a just few days ago, I really enjoyed it ;)

I'm complaining mostly because the reviews & articles do attract people to the site, which in turn will attract more people over to the forums, and they could use a little boost.

Also, coverage about upcoming tablets is horrible, and that's really important. People should be informed when a new model is coming out or if it's getting an hardware update, and that's something that really has to be done in the homepage, not the forums.

About the iPad, I'll wait and see before talking about it's sucess. I've learned that with the iPhone :p

4. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for the kind words!

As much as I'm not an an Apple fan I had no doubt that the iPhone would do well simply because it was a cool smart phone and its not like the smart phone market wasn't hot in 2007. The iPad will do VERY well for a tablet device but nothing like the iPod or iPhone. Just using common sense but who knows. I just don't see a $500 device doing well in a market that basically doesn't exist and has never gotten off the ground in the consumer space.

I do agree with you about tablet coverage but to be honest how many IT journalists covering this technology have used ANY type of tablet device daily for any length of time? IT journalists are just as clueless as everyone else when it comes to tablets.

5. duncanish

duncanish Pen Pal - Newbie

I couldn't agree with you more, besides this forum the rest of the site is essentially useless. It seems to be just a pretext for more marketing and Google advertisements. I would hope that it improves with the influx of tablet PCs. Is uniquely poised to be a true leader on the Internet with the tablet PC related craze in 2010. I just want to say thank you to all of the amateur reviewers that do such a great job with your many pictures, benchmarks, and real-life battery usage. Soon, I'll be getting a Fujitsu t900 and I'll post a full review with an inordinate amount of pictures, I'm sure. Maybe somebody will beat me to the punch but look for it in three weeks if they don't.
    PS. I wanted to put a plug-in for laptopauthority.com. They were extremely easy to deal with and had very competitive prices. Great service guys.

6. JonJacobs

JonJacobs Pen Pal - Newbie

>The iPad will do VERY well for a tablet device
    I have no doubt the iPad will do well because of hype and perception as cool.

But how can it do well as a tablet? From everything I've read and heard, it does NOT have tablet capability. That is: you can not write on it and have it turn your handwriting into text.

If it could, then $500 would be a nice price. Tablet PCs are much more expensive than ordinary notebook PCs.

Jon

7. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

I hope you've noticed an increase in news coverage on this site since you fist posted this complaint.

Jerry is also going to make another attempt to get a loaner TM2 from HP so a review can be written.

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  8. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice to hear, but also make sure to request a review unit of the latest Fujitsu T900 and the upcoming HP2740p, and all the other tablets you've missed like Fujitsu T4310, T4410, Lenovo X201t, Toshiba M780.
    And if you do it right, then do a comparison between all of them, with pictures of the display, unit, ... Wow, that would be awesome :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.