L.A. Schools Will Buy Thousands More iPads for Students Discussion

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Hannah Becker, Jan 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannah Becker

Hannah Becker Tablet PC Review Contributor Reviewer

The Los Angeles Board of Education has agreed to move ahead with its efforts to provide every student in the Los Angeles school system, the second largest in the country, with a computer.

Read the full content of this Article: L.A. Schools Will Buy Thousands More iPads for Students

Related Articles:

Every Student in L.A. Schools Getting an Apple iPad

Google Wants to Turn your Tablet into a Textbook

Best Apps for Any Student

Apple Expected to Ship 12.9-Inch Tablet Later This Year

Top Classroom Note-Taking Apps for the iPad

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is SUCH a shame :(. What will happen to handwriting and getting people ready for the REAL world?

Oh well I suppose it's better to be cool than actually ensure skills are increased.

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Honestly, could you imagine the insanity of having them all try use Windows tablets? It'd never work! The tech time involved would be insane. They'd have driver issues, update issues, customer support issues, etc. Ipads have limited functionality, but atleast they work consistently. I need to see someone release a Windows tablet right, before I'd suggest a school district use them.

I love my convertible tablet pc, but I have to dedicate a lot of time to get it to work properly. I'd hate to purchase 1000's of these and try to run them for a school district. Yikes!

4. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

I must say it's heartening to hear a Windows user be honest about the reality of things! When I switched from an Apple MacBook Pro / Mac Pro to using Windows on a variety of devices it was quite alarming all the things I had to do to get them to work right (and keep working right). I'm used to it now, but a lot of people won't touch Windows with a ten foot pole for this reason. These are the things Microsoft and its hardware partners need to sort out, or just prepare to be buried.

5. excalibur1814

We have static system images and WSUS servers for all updates. It's not as if the iPad is trouble free and even apple updates can destroy hardware.

True, I hear what you're saying, but a solid locked down Windows build can withstand a heck of a lot of abuse. Plus the skills should already be there from the schools previous networks. Anyway as I mentioned... 'cool' wins over form and function.

Either way it doesn't matter as it's done and over with. Shame. In a few years when things like hand writing have vanished and attention spans have reduced it'll be far too late.

P.s. My neighbour called today as their iPod wouldn't connect to wireless... Why not? No idea but dropping the connection down from draft N worked DESPITE it working 2 hours previously. Apple is not perfect.

P.P.s. I'd have little issue with a Samsung Note as that, at least, would offer something over the iPad

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  6. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Standard practice is to have a standard image with updates tested and deployed by SCCM or similar management software and configurations managed by GPO. No more difficult than what is employed now in businesses all over the world. Going for ipads is the lazy option.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

7. excalibur1814

"Going for ipads is the lazy option."

The nail has been smacked on the head with that statement.

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I just want to know what kind of actual productive uses they're going to get out of the students by giving them all iPads. I mean, sure, you can put books on it, but you can do that on a (cheaper, obviously) Kindle also. And the fact that the iPad is more capable, that it's not just a dedicated book reader means there's going to be a whole lot more web browsing and game playing than anything else.

I mean, even thinking back to my own high school days, there was an English / Writing class in which we had the old iBook laptops distributed every day for the two hour period, under the guise that we'd be using them to write papers... and I don't know a single person who wasn't playing the included Cro-Mag Rally racing game or some other dinosaur game I can't remember the name of the entire time.

This sort of thing is no different now. I'm sure it's being done with the best of intentions, but I just don't see it actually helping anyone (except maybe the school administrators bragging about the project).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

bloodycape likes this.
  10. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

Lots of decent Android tablets out there for half the price, and I disagree that running a windows anything causes more grief than an apple anything, that just isn't true. I know several non-tech people with Win8 devices and they operate better than their iThings by a long shot. And I bet LA could have gotten a crazy deal on something like the Dell V8P, not that it isn't a bit buggy.

Also no matter what it is and how locked down you try to make it, the kids will find a way to hack it when they have it home. Group policy be damned, the internet will provide the solution to unlock it! And a large portion of your devices are never going to come back to school so you better make the program a school gift vs. a school loaner.

Also something most people here may not know... There is a version of Open Office that runs on Android now, and it is still free. Also you can get the Kingsoft Office suite for free and it works VERY well and highly compatible with MS Office documents. This makes something like the Lenovo Yoga 10 with BT keyboard an attractive student device and probably well under $300 per unit with the volume they would be buying. Lots of great student learning apps that can be loaded and most are free. The Yoga 10 android has an all day and most of the homework time battery life (14 hours is not hard to hit).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.