Known X61 tablet harware problems

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by augenblick, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raman

raman Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok we will see. I will call them and ask as well.

raman

2. augenblick

augenblick Pen Pal - Newbie

I forgot to add to my list that there is also

1. this orange/amber spots on the screen problem
    2. 1/3 of the screen has funny flickering/lines?

3. student

student Scribbler - Standard Member

Judging by my experiences with Lenovo, that's exactly the effect they wanted to have. They are sadists... all of them! And to think you are even considering paying to be a victim of their pleasure! Get a Fujitsu T4220!

4. yggdrasil

yggdrasil Scribbler - Standard Member

I took a quick glance at the Toshiba forum.. it's true that there doesn't seem to be as many QC issues with the T4220, although a couple of people were complaining about heat.

An interesting tidbit which might explain why Lenovo has stopped offering the SXGA+ option for now:

"I had a dinner with a few Fujitsu reps a couple of days ago and they confirmed the growing rumor about SXGA+ screen being discontinued for T4220 series. They could not provide the reason (simply because they didn't know themselves). Other sources suggested it has to do with the very low supply of such screens - they are simply having hard time getting them. Not sure about the last part. SXGA+ screens might return to T4220 at some point in the future, but there will be a significant gap when they will not be available as an option at all."

Maybe Toshiba and Lenovo get their screens from the same supplier, which is unable to meet demand?

5. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Where did you read that part about SXGA+ being discontinued for T4220? It was true a few months ago, when it was temporarily suspended due to unavailability of the screens, but it should be back up on Fujitsu's website (in fact, been up for a month or more, IIRC). As far as I know Fujitsu hasn't run out of SXGA+ screens yet...

6. raman

raman Pen Pal - Newbie

I called them. SXGA+ is not discontinued, only off stock temporarily. The sales rep. said to check every 10 days or so. Regarding bezel problem, the person, seemingly genuine, said "That's the first time I've heard of it" and gave me the tech-support number. Anycase, all this running about was enough: I bought an x60T secondhand in ebay; will wait for these machines to become a bit more settled before getting new. With T4220 as well, the issue of heat is really an issue given how I intend to use the machine.

IBMfactoryoutlet is getting rid of some x60T s as well for relatively cheap price. See ebay; for some as low as $1099.

raman

7. firegoldlynx

firegoldlynx Pen Pal - Newbie

Might be an interest to some in the Houston Area. I've been looking at the x61 tablet for a while, but just couldn't wrap my head around the extent of the bezel problem until I saw if first hand. I went to Micro Center in Houston, and to my delight, their SXGA+ demo unit was suffering quite nicely from the bezel Issue. FYI

8. yggdrasil

yggdrasil Scribbler - Standard Member

How did a problem of this magnitude slip through QA?

9. tivoboy

tivoboy Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone have any comments about the screen sparkly nature, and if anything can be done about it? I find it makes the images on the screen, and TEXT not as sharp. I have the SXGA+, just got it yesterday. The screen doesn't seem as bright as I would have expected, although I have to compare to my older T42p

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Scribbler - Standard Member

I have never seen any "sparkle" on my SXGA+ screen, and my text is a clean as it can be. Check your display settings, if your using Vista you can change a lot of qualities that affect your display.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.