Kickstarter: iSketchnote for the iPad.

Discussion in 'Artists' started by T-ravisty, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey all,

I found this on Kickstarter.
    If you're an Apple user this could be a handy asset.

I figured I post it here as opposed to the Apple forum because I think discussion of this technology would be quite interesting in this particular forum for artist use.
    Could this be something that could somewhat be adapted to the Android market?
    It's actually a fantastic idea IMO, yes, digital art is meant to use less paper, but a hardcopy is rather nice.

Also to be able to use traditional mediums... Wow, amazing
    Far better than Wacom's failed attempt with the Inkling.

Anyway, have a look.

Cheers. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The lengths the Apple community have to go to achieve something with pressure sensitivity because Mr Jobs never understood why artists need it.

Interesting concept - similar to putting a drawing on an Intuos (or similar) and tracing it out with your wacom pen.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Actually, what's it's really similar to IS an Intuos, now that you mention it. I mean, it would function without the paper. Probably no pressure sensitivity, but that's not the point. It's accrual my not a. Bad idea at all, IMO.

I like how the Apple community pushes boundaries and makes up new ideas. I wish the device had a built in pen, of course, but stuff like this and the ipen 2 is exciting and interesting.

4. klachowski

klachowski Pen Pal - Newbie

I completely agree. On the one hand the ingenuity on display by creative people trying to overcome silly impediments is fun and inspiring, but ultimately I just think, "why aren't they using a device from a less narrow minded company".

azelll likes this.
  5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ass backwards, been there done that product that ultimately fails to take advantage of the real benefit digital notes/sketching: editing flexibility.

Once you give up this unessential need for "paper feel", the benefits absolutely dwarf that minor loss. These guys obviously don't realize that simple fact and are bending over backwards to ice skate uphill.

Kinda tragic, frankly.

klachowski likes this.
  6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I'm not so sure bending over backwards is going to help them skate up that hill. Kinda sounds dangerous =)

SDreamer, klachowski and azelll like this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Interesting take on a digitizer; using a pair of regular magnets rather than RF to establish position.

This should be easily adaptable for working under a screen. Though, they'd have to able to compensate for low level magnetic interference from internal electronics. That shouldn't be too hard so long as there is no cooling fan, which is getting closer to reality these days with low power chips. -Just use really strong magnets on the stylus and set the sensor board accordingly.

You'd have good edge accuracy along the Left and Bottom edges of the screen, (if you're Right handed).

I wonder how tough it would be to put a variable pressure gauge in the sensor board? Pressure wouldn't need to worry about accuracy, which might make it easier to implement...

Also, I wonder how they work out at what altitude to start registering a line. Like if you have quarter inch pad versus a single sheet. Does it start drawing a couple of millimeters above the glass? Maybe it only starts outputting draw data when the magnets are seen to be moving only on a specific plane for a few microseconds, since it'd be hard to move it like that through the air without small altitude variations. . .

All in all, this is an interesting approach to digitizer tech. I hope they expand on it a bit more.

Though, I agree with Shog. The paper thing creates both redundancy, (how valuable, really, is taking low-res notes on your iPad when you're creating hard-copy notes at the same time?), while at the same time discounting nearly all of the super-powers a digital stylus normally provides.

Basically, this is a regular blind Wacom tablet that fits in your iPad cover. -Which is neat enough, but until it's pressure sensitive, remains sort of just a gimmick. Why not just get one of those Jot pens?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.