Keyboard

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by win25, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murix

murix Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all.

I have been using this - http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Wire...MBH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322506509&sr=8-1

I already had it for my Xoom so figured it was worth a try. It works great. It might be slightly larger than the ones discussed above, but it feels great as an everyday keyboard. I am using it right now and it has allowed me to make this slate my primary travel pc and leave my Macbook Pro and Android Xoom on the shelf. I have written some pretty long word documents and articles using it. Build quality is excellent and very sturdy with a nice click feel to the keys. My opinion is that Motorola has always built great hardware.

Product Dimensions: 6 x 1.5 x 12.9 inches
    Shipping Weight: 1.4 pounds - I don't know the exact weight but definitely way lighter than that. The 2 AA batteries are the heaviest part! The keyboard itself is very thin and light.

Dimensions match perfectly to the Samsung 7 Slate and it is very thin save for the battery compartment which is not as svelte as what I think the Samsung one is as it does use 2 AA instead of AAA but still thin.

Of particular interest is that it has an extra row of keys that acts for multimedia functions as well as for function keys triggered by a fn key at the bottom. The multimedia function keys sort of work but not well although the volume control does work fine. I am going to look into remapping these when I have time. Not important at the moment.

There is a button in the bottom corner for apps which opens the start menu and the search keys work as right click which is helpful although I might remap one of them as well to be a real search. It has a back key at the top corner which does in fact act like a back key in some places. Others it acts like a delete.

I am still waiting on the official keyboard so I can compare, but in the interim this is a great unexpected alternative.

2. rangerb3

rangerb3 Scribbler - Standard Member

I called the Houston Galleria MS Store yesterday to check on my Free Dock and according to the UPS track number given, it's on the way! Wooo Hoooo!

Anyway, I asked about other Samsung peripherals like case stand, keyboard, and extra power brick and the prices were $49, $79, $129 respectively....No thanks for the keyboard and certainly no on the extra power brick!

3. anteatereater

anteatereater Scribbler - Standard Member

4. murix

murix Pen Pal - Newbie

I went and picked up the Samsung keyboard today. So it is the same thickness as the Motorola version, same width, but shorter length as the Motorola has a larger battery compartment for it's 2AA batteries. That also means it weighs slightly more and has a larger 'foot' for the sake of description which makes it angle higher. The keys are pretty much the same size although the Samusng keys are more rounded. Comparing side to side, I wouldn't be surprised to find they are the same manufacturers.

In usage, I think I slightly prefer the Motorola as the angle is better for typing and it somehow feels more solid, but I will keep the Samsung simply for it's ever so slightly portability and lighter weight.

Price wise, you can get the Motorola for $30 less.

5. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

6. serenia

serenia Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been using the logitech for a while. The lack of Fn and windows keys is only a minor nuisance for me. It's also nice that the stand (which doubles as the carrying case for the KB) also let's you use the tablet in portrait mode, which is nice for editing documents. My only gripe with the Logitech is that it goes to sleep too quickly, and ignores the first key press before waking. The MS BT KB that came with the EP121 would always record the first keystroke, albeit with a bit of a delay as it wakes up.

7. Antfield

Antfield Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, that would have been AMAZING. I almost got the ASUS Transformer, but after deciding Android won't cut it for me, I've been looking at Windows tablet ever since. So to my disappointment, I later found this video showing what the EP121 were really meant to be.

The keyboard and extra battery is a great idea, but one that the transformer, with its lightweight OS and already very good battery life ~9hr, doesn't really need as much as the EP121 does.

Imagine if the S7S, with its 5-7 hr battery life could get another 5 hr on top that plus a keyboard....absolutely awesome.

Better yet, imagine a USB 3.0 on a tablet that will allow the addition of a "media" dock, a la sony Vaio Z, that contain additional discreet graphic. You can have it all. The portability of a true tablet plus the power of gaming laptop, and a battery life that should last you all day.

Still, until then S7S will do!

8. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

Just got my Q550 BT keyboard in the mail, this thing is pretty damn slick!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weight is 240 grams inc. 2 AAA batteries,thickness ranges from 15-8 mm in keys.

Im very happy with it so far! Cant wait to try it out with the slate. Its a full windows keyboard as you can see, not an android one. The model is Fujitsu LX360

9. spacecadet610

spacecadet610 Pen Pal - Newbie

10. Smoke234

Smoke234 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been using the Microsoft Bluetooth 6000 keyboard, which is great and feels like a full keyboard. My issue is that it always goes to sleep and it takes a 4-5 seconds to wake everytime I go to type again. This is a huge pain when painting in Photoshop as it breaks the flow having to wait for it.I have tried changing the Bluetooth settings in Device Manager to not allow it to sleep, that didnt help. I have run the slate on High Performance and that didnt help either. Does anyone else have this issue or have any ideas on how to keep it connected? I know it will drain the battery faster but I need it to stay awake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.