Keyboard

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by win25, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. augenblick

augenblick Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same and it works great :)

2. cegras

cegras Scribbler - Standard Member

Personally, I'd rather have a USB keyboard. One less battery dependent device to worry about.

3. anteatereater

anteatereater Scribbler - Standard Member

This one? This one was kinda designed after Apple's slim BT keyboard, except it's black.

[​IMG]

I bought this thing when it was on sale for $20 something (fell in price like the touchpad). I thought it was a great deal at the time, and it kinda is. The battery is great since it uses AA instead of AAA, but the problem is that it has no F1-F12 keys and instead only has play/pause, volume up/down, brightness, search, power. Not all of them work, and the usual windows and ALT keys are mapped elsewhere.

Great form factor, but only half 'functional.' A keyboard is one of those purchases you need to see in person before buying. You don't want to go home with one with a tiny backspace key :)

4. win25

win25 Pen Pal - Newbie

I checked several keyboards including the logitech but the Rocksoul was the only one with the Windows key with the same formfactor as the samsung.

5. Antfield

Antfield Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there a substitute for the windows key on that Android keyboard? Also, i don't see the 'function' (F1, F2..etc.) buttons, are there substitute for it on that keyboard.

I've been tempted by that as well, but I wonder if an android layout can work well for windows.

6. Antfield

Antfield Pen Pal - Newbie

Picked up the Rocksoul keyboard for $30 today. It really does look very similar to the Samsung keyboard. The dimension are very close, and the Rocksoul keyboard match the slate very nicely. But up close you can tell the difference in quality.

Also saw that Targus had the exact same keyboard (but with Ipad keyboard layout) available for $40. I think they use the same manufacturer.

I'm little concern about the Rocksoul quality though. Seem a bit flimsy, wouldn't be surprise if some keys fall off after months in a bag.

7. anteatereater

anteatereater Scribbler - Standard Member

I saw the Samsung keyboard up close today. It has that same polish as the top surface of the dock and has a great feel to it.

Besides the differences in look between the Rocketfish and Samsung, the shortcuts are kinda different:
    • Rocketfish has a numpad in the alphabet area via FN key. Samsung does not--probably designed so since you can access an on screen numpad via 3 fingers
    • Rocketfish has F11 and F12 mapped to Fn+F1 and Fn+F2 and no brightness controls. Samsung has brightness controls for Fn+F2 and Fn+F3 well as a shortcut to their Easy Settings manager as Fn+F1
    • Rocketfish remapped the F11 and F12 to make space for a Scroll Lock and Num Lock instead. Samsung kept F11 and F12 as is and mapped their Fn shortcut to Fan controls (quietness) and WiFi on/off. Samsung also has a Fn Lock so you don't always have to press Fn--sometimes you'll find this as a BIOS change.
    • Samsung has a context menu (rightclick) Fn key mapped to the right Ctrl, Rocketfish does not.
    • Samsung has a shortcut to the projector options, Rocketfish does not. However, you can always use Windows key+P to do that anyway.
    • Both have volume controls, but Rocketfish also has play/pause/stop

Overall I like how ultra-slim both are. Only keyboards that use AAAs can get that small--sacrifice battery capacity (vs. AA) for form factor. The Rocketfish is an excellent bargain vs. the very expensive Samsung BT keyboard, but pay particular attention to the shortcut keys as they can change your experience.

8. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

Whats the weight of the samsung? 130 grams is in my head but that cant be right?

9. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think it's 230 grams.

10. rangerb3

rangerb3 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm using a fold-up keyboard by Think Outside called the Stowaway Sierra. It's a little expensive at current Ebay prices exceeding $65 bucks but I bought it for much less a few years ago and it had been sitting on the shelf but now finally found a use for it!

The keyboard is only 5.0" x 3.5" x 0.9" when folded, weighs 10.7 oz, and is easily portable. It has a 100% full size standard QWERTY design for easy touch-typing. The size and spacing of the keys feel like you're using a desktop keyboard. It has a power saving auto sleep mode so 1 AAA alkaline battery provides 80 hours of continuous use or 10000 hours of standby.

It's a neat little foldable keyboard but, not made or supported any longer by ThinkOutside. The BT connection was pretty straight forward and the S7S picked it up immediately after I figured out it didn't need a secure pairing code!

Here's an Ebay link to one that I would consider if I was looking....I have the one with the SS outside case and it's a major fingerprint magnet! I think the black case would be better in that respect. There's a "Make Offer" link that I would probably take advantage of and offer the guy say...$45 bucks!

Stowaway Portable Keyboard Think Outside ES11000 | eBay

I've been using it for the past few weeks with the S7S and it's pretty nice.... Because it's not a rigid design, it does require it to be laying on a secure, flat surface which describes my desk at work when I slide most of the paperwork away!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.