keyboard help

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by sharpear, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharpear

sharpear Pen Pal - Newbie

I am curious if anyone has any keyboard tweaks. this is what i need.

I use the keyboard almost full screen. any way possible to make it transparent.

I also want two conifgurations, one full screen (2 hand), other size for 1 hand typing. Max and min version option needed by the close.

2. minikui

minikui Pen Pal - Newbie

You have quite set there, and I doubt they all can be met. Some people seem to give high praise to something called "Hot Virtual Keyboard" and it's configurability. You might be interested to take a look at this thread.

I will check this thread with interest if something that fully fits the bill, turns up.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. sharpear

N-trig has this setting, but I need a better understanding. It recognizes the differences between finger input and the pen input. This is currently how I am controlling 2 different keyboard sizes.

When I press the pen to the screen then press the keyboard button, it will give me my smaller 1 handed size. When I touch the screen with my finger and then press the Keyboard button it gives me the full screen keyboard.

You can test this yourself by resizing 1 or the other keyboards. The only downfall I am having is that when I use the pen to get my smaller size and then use my finger to type. The next time the keyboard opens up it instantly uses the finger keyboard size.

I am actually still waiting on a response from N-trig, but they might only take it into consideration for future upgrades, and not actually help me in creating a code now for this version.

Transparency is still something I am working with still. Only option I can think of quickly is when keyboard button is pressed > screen print function to use as the keyboard background image. Have not looked further into this since my 2nd slate is getting Windows 7 ultimate, and Windows 8 client for testing, which might have an easier fix and more important knowing I can use all Windows 7 features like bitlocker.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. minikui

minikui Pen Pal - Newbie

Quite honestly, I did not imagine it that way. This means you need to have a pen with you at all time for two different finger input sizes. If the slate is in the folio at all times, that propably is not much of an issue, I'm guessing.

You didn't say what you are currently using, so I'm making an assumption that you're talking about Swype here.

Using Win7 native VKB, the keyboard button on the device rarely does anything for me. For instance typing this message in a FireFox browser simply does not bring up the VKB no matter how I try. I haven't done extensive testing, but I have a gut feeling this is somehow related to FireFox...

However, the native virtual keyboard also supports two individually resizable layouts. They also have different size pop-up buttons appearing when moving focus to edit area, depending on if it's with a pen or finger.

I don't have Swype anymore on my tablet, because it didn't work for me (one of the main reasons being that it doesn't offer layout for my locale).

If my assumption was correct, and you're takling about Swype, would it not be Swype company that might be able to do the layout related changes? I think N-trig is merely involved in developing and providing the hardware and OS drivers, but haven't actually done any virtual keyboard implementations... or am I totally mistaken here?

This transparency was the main reason I said in the first reply, that your wishlist was a big one. I might be interested in that, BUT only if it will be true transparecy, allowing me to type and see what I type at the same time. Therefore, a background image capture and setting would not be of any value for me. Naturally, some obscuring would still happen, I imagine, but it might still be step forward from now, where the VKB likes to pop up on top of the editable field far too often.

I wish you luck in your search. I will keep following what turns up here :)

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I am actually still waiting on a response from N-trig...>>

Unfortunately, I think it is unlikely that N-trig will respond or, if they do, that their response will be of much use.

I'm having trouble understanding your post, but you should be looking to the keyboard developers for help, if anyone.

Good luck...

6. sharpear

So who makes the Keyboard app for the tablet? I thougth swype was related to the different swyping functions (left, right, up, down and angles), which I have turned off, but the keyboard button still works for me. I notice a big difference between the login keyboard (enter username and password) vs the Desktop Keyboard (typing on a web browser). I thougth n-trig would have been the one to design this since it seems to recognize pen vs finger input when pulling layouts.

Currently installing Windows 8 on one of the two, just to play around, but won't be back to this until probably next week. I also got the stand, which has been a great improvement to allow me to just use a basic wireless keyboard, but a hassle to carry around extra equipment. Still more playing and reading to do, as I have only really gotten to page 5 of this forum, and something might already be addressed.

Sorry on the confussion Steve, but I am unsure what your having trouble understanding to clarify it any better. Basicly I want my 2 layouts, but trying to make them more tranparent to see what I am actually typing while I am typing.
    It works a little bit, when setting Windows 7 trasparency settings, but sometimes the VKB will just vanish like I am hovering over the taskbar. It's still a work in progress.

7. sharpear

After playing with Windows 8 seems they took care of the issue. Not only did it take up a small amount of the screen, but made it easy to use while holding the bottom two edges which feels better than me trying to hold it one handed. Not going to worry about customizing the keyboard anymore and just use it until windows 8 comes out.

My Windows 8 Version seems to have some functionality issues even after registering and updating, but I was not planning on going too indepth with it until I have the Windows 8 Server set up.

If anyone else has any suggestions on Virtual Keyboard designs or programs for Windows 7 I am still interested to check them out, but it will not be in any hurry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.