K10stat turns AMD Puma TX2500 into 1775mhz ulv - Fan always at lowest - Faster than any battery mode - Stable - AMD Tablet Nirvana

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Yianaki, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Yianaki

Yianaki Pen Pal - Newbie

I just stumbled on K10stat which has been discussed here quite a bit but I never saw it on an actual thread here. I actually saw a Toms Hardware site guide on undervolting desktop AMD CPU's on the 9th via K10stat. Finally got around to playing around with it on my Laptop and it worked but I got hangs when I tried to undervolt my 2400mhz processor. There was that original power underclocker for vista PumaStateCtrl I never really got my settings down to make it work reliably, and it never worked for me in Windows 7 either.

The power states for these AMD mobile CPU's seem to be pretty bad and the performance doesn't feel snappy at all. They seem to have issues going into a useful state that doesn't make the fan blow like a vacuum cleaner. I think the issue is with the lowest power state. I don't think 600mhz is really useful for anything, Onenote really lags at that speed. Well what if I used my low power profile in windows 7 which keeps the processor at it's lowest state at all times not changing power planes and increase the CPU a bit, keeping the voltage the same.

:D Here comes the good stuff. I started at 850 mhz which made basically all web videos stutter free. But I kept on going running prime after each try. 1000 thats great, 1200 wow that is as fast as the second P state normally is at 1.2v but it is running at .8v how can that be. But it passed prime95 torture test... kept on going all the way to the max allowable 1775. IT'S STABLE and I attached a CPUID screen print.

I don't understand what is going on. I think it may have something to do with not changing the power planes which made my CPU unstable, when I was trying to undervolt previously? K10stat says CPU at 50c and laptop seems hotter but the fans never come on, maybe some kind of error from using K10Stat or maybe the fans are hardwired never to come on when you have the cpu at the lowest state. I don't want to ruin my like new computer never had any issues with it. Computer is stock other than Vertex 60g SSD, which other than bootup and hibernate times doesn't seem to make any difference. I don't think the SATA controller is actually making good use of the SSD. I was going to take apart my laptop and put some arctic silver on it but never got around to it. I don't even want to think about the battery life I will get now with my 8cell.

You don't know how lucky I have been lately with AMD cpu's. I got a phenom II x2 and unlocked the two cores and overclocked it to 3.65 stable on the stock cooler. All I was thinking about next was getting a new laptop but now not a chance. It is silent no roar of the fan, I do have the fan always on in the bios setup but it just stays at that minimal setting no matter what.

Attached Files:

2. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

I'll be sure to try it out with my girlfriend's tx2500 tomorrow, it's way too noisy and hot right now (fan does need to be cleaned :p), I'll post the results, and a screenshot walkthrough if you guys want.

Good find!

3. Yianaki

Yianaki Pen Pal - Newbie

Computer is normal temp, well at least normal for the tx2500 47c-50c. It took an hour for the entire laptop body to cool down after running all the prime 95 tests.

All I did was get K10Stat. Unzip. Open. Hit P-state tab. Hit default, this will overwrite the programs cpu profile with your CPU default info. Went into P2 setting by clicking on P2 radio button. Changed the FID to the max number in the drop down 63 correlates to 1775 frequency. Not that you'll get that but maybe everyone will?

This of course depends on you setting up a windows 7 power profile "Processor power Management" setting to min max of 5%. Also I had CPU fan at active.

Whenever you hibernate or standby the PC it goes back to default p states. I think I read somewhere there is a K10stat launch switch or something I believe to make it permanent but not sure.

Having been running stable for hours. If I even lowered the default voltages a bit before I would have crashed in a half hour or so. This is really amazing.

4. Yianaki

Yianaki Pen Pal - Newbie

Linkie below has command line and service setup info for k10stat

http://aspiregemstone.blogspot.com/2009/06/k10stat-amd-griffin-processor.html

Here is what I used to run k10stat on startup so it will remember settings on standby and hibernate. Make sure to disable clock control -clkctl and set it to load the -lp profile you are using mine was 5.

"C:\Users\s33k3r\Desktop\k10stat\K10STAT.exe" -lp:5 -ClkCtrl:0 -StayOnTray -nw

Don't want to setup service as instructed in link until I know is stable. Not sure how to stop a service that would load and make computer unstable. Would I load into safe mode?

5. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

any links to download it?

also how do you switch p states while on AC power?

hardware is my thing, not software and power settings : P
    -Tyler

7. colmiak

colmiak Pen Pal - Newbie

i tried this, though i didnt get a good result. my computer seemed wayy to slow, much slower than on battery and performing more than one thing would severely slow down the computer.

wish it worked better for me, although undervolting is pretty good for me already.

8. Tiezep

I don't really get it.

I can successfully underclock with this, but when I want to game or something and I switch it back to the default profile it will stay at 500 mhz to 1050 mhz. :l

would anyone know why it won't go to 2.1 ghz when I switch it back to normal?

solving my own question here:
    there's an icon in the taskbar for this (right side) and you have to right click and enable clock control.

9. Tiezep

I have my profile 5 set to:
    p0: 2.1 ghz@ 1.05
    p1: 1.95 ghz @ .85
    p2: 1.7 ghz @ .8

these work perfect for tx2510us

works great on battery, but as for ac power I am still working on it

anyone have any recommendations for a turion ultra zm80?

yes, my newly edited clocks for normal use.
    and for gaming:
    p0: 2.2 ghz @ 1.075v (faster and a little cooler than standard settings while gaming)
    p1: 2.1 ghz @ 1.050v
    p2: 2.1 ghz @ 1.050v

this is seriously the best program I ever used.

10. Ganman

Ganman Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks so much for this, I had previously tried pumastatectrl and failed miserably trying to find the optimum voltage. With this and your given settings, it seems to be pretty stable. No BSOD's yet, hopefully none at all.

One question though Tiezep, with your profile 5 settings, the one you posted above, does your fan come on frequently? If not, can you explain in detail what your settings are, such as bios fan setting, processor percentage (pretty much most of the stuff in power plan settings) For example, I read somewhere on here that if you set the ati to maximum power saving, the fan does not come on very frequently. This has actually been quite true.

So basically I wish to emulate your settings to see if I get the same results. Plus, because I live in Brisbane, Australia the ambient temp. may be a little higher than average.

Cheers