Just purchased Asus Eee Ea800 Note.... now what?

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by Clif, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clif

Clif Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,
    I just bought my Asus Eee ea-800 Note from a shop in Taiwan via eBay. (item # 370660507608 for $219.00 US). It is sold as an "English version" I imagine that I will have it in my possession within a week or two. I am very intrigued by this device. I primarily want to use it as an e-reader and for my daily journal writing. My question is this: what initial modifications or hacks will I need to perform to the device in order to get the Eee Note up and running properly? I am in the US. All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :D

2. andy840119

andy840119 Pen Pal - Newbie

If you just want to use it as your diary or use it to read comic books
    Or galaxy note 10.1 is perfer ,because it is more functions
    but it is almost double price

3. sarah11918

sarah11918 Pen Pal - Newbie

If it's sold as the English version already, then you won't really have to do too much to it. Since some of us current owners are recently experiencing a problem with Evernote, it will be interesting to see if someone with a brand new device also has that connection problem. So if I could ask, set up an Evernote account and see how the uploading works for you once you get your machine.

Otherwise, if you just want to use the e-book and journal functions, you should be good to go!

If you search older threads, you'll see that some have written install packages for a few extra apps (an alternative browser, an email program, I think...) I know a long time ago I did add an install package to my EEE Note's SD card and chose a few of them. (Maybe search this forum for "config" since that's the name of one of the files), but it's been a while so I don't remember off the top of my head what I did or which threads discuss it.

It's a great little journalling device, so i hope you enjoy it! To be honest, I jumped on eBay last night after I thought it was maybe a hardware glitch preventing me from connecting to Evernote, and I half entertained the idea of buying a new one to try connecting on another machine. You've saved me a good couple hundred bucks. ;)

4. Clif

Clif Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the input Sarah. I will let you know how I make out with Evernote and everything else as soon as my Note arrives. I am quite excited at the prospect!

5. Clif

Clif Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, my EE Note finally arrived today. I am loving it thus far. The English interface is well-implemented. The only issue that I have with it is the Dr Eye dictionary. It is still an English to Chinese dictionary. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Can I download a replacement dictionary application or anything like that? Once I get the dictionary sorted out, my Eee Note will be perfect for me. Thanks again for any and all input.

6. Clif

Clif Pen Pal - Newbie

Almost forgot!. Sarah, Evernote does not work for me either. When I try to configure my Evernote account on the Eee Note, I get a message stating that my password and/or ID are incorrect. Which just isn't true. So, two things that I need to remedy somehow. The firmware version is: v1.0.14.118

7. lonk

lonk Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Clif, I will be getting an EEE Note next week via the same Ebay store (funnybom, which I believe is the only seller to get one) and in the description it says "1 x Touch pen", but from what I heard, the EEE Note should come bundled with two stylus pens, could you let me know if you got one or two pens?

for Evernote, I saw a thread here discussing the issue and a fix depends on Asus to make one, so contact them about it and hope they listen to the (small amount of) users.
    but another temporary fix is to install QTMail and send the notes by email (I don't know the specifics in how to do that since I don't have a device rn)

8. Clif

Clif Pen Pal - Newbie

Ionk,
    Thanks for the input. I will contact Asus. One more voice can't hurt. Regarding the stylus: I received one. I was expecting two as well because of all the reviews that I had read stating as much. But, just as his listing states, funnybom's units only come with one stylus.

9. Clif

Clif Pen Pal - Newbie

Ionk,
    Another note regarding the stylus pen: Jesse B Andersen recommends a Fujitsu Lifebook stylus as a replacement for the stylus that comes with the Eee note. I think you can find those on eBay and/or Amazon. I plan on getting one of those. I will then use the other as my back up.

10. BlacKnight

BlacKnight Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi Clif

If you want an English-English dictionary that is integrated with the PDF reader, then I think the simplest solution is to replace the firmware with the Russian version. Then switch the user interface language to English.

Be sure to backup your documents, etc. before changing the firmware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.