Just Pulled the trigger on the ASUS R1F T7200

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Pentastic, Nov 11, 2006.

1. techaholic

techaholic Pen Pal - Newbie

I live in the States and I just ordered the Asus TABLET R1F-K010T T7200, 120, 13W, XPT from down under www.AnythingOnline.com.au , so far the transaction has been great. I used the online live chat to ask questions and I phoned them. So I narrowed it down to the Acer C215 vs the ASUS R1F. The higher screen resolution and larger Screen size and lower price did it. Anyway I will keep all informed as to how this goes and would so far recommend this dealer :cool: . Early days yet... ;)

Tech

2. Creole

Creole Pen Pal - Newbie

Gratz!

Amoungst all the other obvious info you'll prolly share with us, I'd be real interested in hearing what amount, if any, of duty/import taxes you'll pay.

Enjoy!

3. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

hmmm... I considered an Australian order, but the shipping and import costs made the overall system cost almost 70% higher than a NA version.

Grats, though. Let us know how the process goes and what that dealer is like to work with.

4. techaholic

Well shipping will be $150, not sure what import taxes to the USA will be, does anyone know upfront?

5. techaholic

OK for Alexandria VA there are no duties for a computer under 10Kg in weight :)

6. mbagga

mbagga Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, I just went through the entire checkout process. It looks pretty promising. I have been doing my homework for the past few weeks regarding buying from Australia because the US version IMO is a POS (especially regarding the warranty issues with upgrades...anyways).

I have found out: US and Australia have a FREE TRADE AGREEMENT. Meaning virtually no fees.

Since you are shipping to the US, you will not be charged GST (Australian Tax). This tax is around 11%. So to get the "total" you must subtract 11% from the price. Easiest way is to take the price and divide it by 11, and this is what you subtract.

I believe "Anything Online" removes the GST automatically when you put in a US address.

Here is the kicker though, every Australian website I checked was charging $80-150 to ship to the States. BUT, Anything Online is only charging $11 (15AUD) for standard shipping and $37 (59 AUD) for expedited. WOW!

I went through the entire process and my grand total, including shipping, and everything came to $2260 with the expedited shipping. Which is a hell of deal for a computer with the specs of the R1F. As a side note, if you use Amex, they charge a 2.2% currency conversion fee, mastercard and visa do not!

The only reason I have not bought it yet is because I have 4 other friends who want to buy one as well. I was going to go and chat with Anything Online and ask if I could get a better deal if I bought 5. I'll let you guys know.

--Deep

7. techaholic

Thanks Mbagga for the great update.

FYI the cheap shipping prices are not the final ship price to the USA. Depending on the shipping method you choose "express or standard" they update you with the actual charge which they ask you to confirm via email. In my case it was an additional $106. Other than that you are right duties on these babies to the USA is FREE baby it's FREE :D :cool: :)

I don't think mine has shipped yet as they go an extra mile to verify you are who you say you are, and request several id's (faxed or emailed) which might put off some buyers. However being a seller myself I understand where they are coming from with regard to overseas sales.

If you can get me a better price lets do it, as I did mention to them yesterday that I was going to post a thread to see if others would be tempted to buy from them. They had 11 in stock as of yesterday.

This is beginning to get cool... as the Core 2 Dou T7200 is a racket ship cpu...

8. mattj

mattj Scribbler - Standard Member

as i just posted in another thread...

"u guys had better hurry up tho. From all the aussie sites I looked at, it would seem they share the same supplier for the r1f's. Because they are all reporting having only 11 left in inventory. A week ago there was 25. These things are so rare!!

Thank god i was number 16 and also will be in line for vista upgrade too.

I can't help bragging, whats wrong with me lol"

n u f'n americans are taking away our aussie r1f's, but i guess thats like everything else. u steal our actors n creative people n tried to steal our ugboots n many other products.

Well at lleast we know that quality comes from aussie, minus that dip**** no good actor russel crowe, who i'd beat the **** out of if he ever had a hissy fit around me!

But geeze I hope that they get in more supplies for the r1f, cause once i show all my uni friends, their gonna want them too n with all u americans buying them, there won't be any left!

Jobbo

9. biocmp

biocmp Pen Pal - Newbie

Russell Crowe would beat the **** out of you!!! :) haha, The r1f looks very promising. I wish I could try one out to see if it is worth it. I will have to read reviews on here and elsewhere. We shall see.

Russell Crowe Rocks!!!

10. techaholic

Well she's on her way, my Aussie R1F will be shipped today and it cost me $2251.67 total, with all the extra's carry case, bluetooth mouse. Can't wait to get it. Oh this model has a Firewirw connector also.