Just picked up a B121...

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by webkrawler, Jun 1, 2014.

1. webkrawler

webkrawler Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys!

Just picked up my B121 for $150.00. It is in reasonably good condition. Screen is emaculate and
    all in all I am pretty happy with it.

The seller said "seems to be in working order but missing power cord".

So, I bought one from E-bay. after market for about $15.00. I see now why he would
    not want to sell it with the power cord. The male tip inside of the tablet is a bit loosey goosey.
    Just a tap on the wire while it's charging causes the charge light to go off. I have to readjust
    the plug to get the light on again.

I think he knew there was a problem. But, for $150.00 (and the price of the power adapter)
    I'll just use it like it is. I wonder if the problem could be the after market tip? Just not a good
    solid fit with the male connector? Hmm.

I put Windows 8.1 on it and seems to be good. Someone mentioned using with Windows 7 drivers
    for the video and I made that change tonight. Right before the battey died so didn't get a chance
    to really see if it made any difference, bad or good.

Battery lasts a wee but over 2 hours if I keep the screen on the dimmest setting. Replacement
    batteries aen't cheap and I have to crack the case to replace it. I have the skills to do that but
    for now, I'll just keep charging it after a couple of hours.

What's up with all these doors over the access slots? I haven't figured out how to get the SD slot door
    open with taking a paring knife to it. I need longer finger nails.

The tablet is SPEEDY! I like it. Speedier than my Dell 8 Pro 8" tablet. But the Dell has it way beat on the battery life. LOL..

Why spend $1000.00 for a Surface 3 when you can get one of these :) Oh, the longer battery life
    and faster CPU. To some worth the extra cash.

I'll keep reading all the posts here. If I have answers I'll help. Or, if I need help I am sure there are those here than can help.

Just wanted to say Hi!

2. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

welcome to the forum..
    if you have to use a knife to open the sd card door..there might be a problem.. you just need to to push in and the plastic insert will spring out..
    the power socket ground side may be wearing out..you can get it from ebay.

3. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Like CF said, the SD door is unique in that it's supposed to be push-in/springs out. The USB covers are the ones you need nails/claws/blades for. A few years ago, more than a few of the people here broke those covers while trying to get them fully open (it's more the pulling down on the cover once its open than the prying it open), or trying to insert a plug, or trying to close them. Mine are still on, though. So, good luck keeping those attached!

4. kurt_hectic

kurt_hectic Scribbler - Standard Member

$150 ? For God sake :O

I sold laptop, cintiq 15x and add a lot to buy this machine ;)

5. webkrawler

webkrawler Pen Pal - Newbie

Ahh, it springs in for the SD card slot. Got it. Hadn't tried it again since I posted.

I bought it on E-bay for the $150.00 (plus shipping which was low).

It had only a couple of bids. I think it was because the guy didn't have it listed very well. He didn't mention
    compatibility with Windows 8 at all. He said very little. "Works as best as I can tell" I think was the
    only thing he said besides missing the AC adapter. He didn't even mention it came with the Asus
    leather case. I was very surprised to see it in the leather case when I opened the box. Isn't that
    like nearly $50.00 on it's own??

When you do not take the time to engage the buyers you will not sell for a very high price.
    Good thing I am tech enough not to need very much info. :)

Actually, my first instinct was to buy it, put Windows 8 on it and get an AC adapter and resell it.
    I had an extra Windows 8 upgrade license I bought 18 months ago I had not used ($14) and
    the $10 for the adapter and I don't have much into it. BUT, now that I see there is a problem
    with either the way the AC connector attaches or with the male plug inside the unit, I am
    not sure I can get out of it what I thought I could.

Last year I bought another Windows 7 tablet on Ebay, upgraded to Windows 8 and resold it
    for a profit of $100.00. And they are genuine Windows 8 licenses. Totally legal.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  6. SlateFan13

SlateFan13 Pen Pal - Newbie

I realize this question probably is coming pretty late in the game since the Slate is now several years old. One of my USB port covers finally broke after a couple years of use. I've been scouring the internet (asusparts.eu, ebay, etc.) trying to find replacements. Asus USA was no help - all they did was tell me good luck searching the internet. Can anyone here give me some suggestions as to who may still have some of these on hand? I'd love to be able to buy 3-4 to replace the one that's broken and have a couple spares.

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Perhaps you could just keep something small, but useful plugged into the port until you need to use it...a microSD reader like this comes to mind.

8. GiGo

GiGo Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you tried getting some one to 3d print one? One of mine broke of years ago, never bothered replacing it.