Just ordered the 4210

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Madcap, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jones059

jones059 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got my 4210 today (hurrah!) and have spent the last couple of hours getting it set up and tweaked, running it with the AC power plugged in (which from what I've read produces more heat than running it just on battery). I'd been quite worried about heat issues, and have now concluded in relief that it's not really a problem--no worse than with any other laptop I've handled. There is one small hot spot (top left, I think, when it's in tablet mode) but the rest of the computer is warm without being significantly uncomfortable to hold, though I wouldn't want to rest it directly on my lap for any extended period. I am overall very happy with the computer--the speed and the quality of the display seem really excellent to me.

2. DragonFly

DragonFly Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you! It's a relief to hear the heat isn't a big issue.

3. jones059

Well, it's an issue, certainly, but not for me a big one, and only in the same way that it's an issue for most (or all) laptops. My fear was that it would be exceptional with the T4210, bad enough to constitute a dealbreaker, and that has not so far proven to be the case.

4. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

lol like the dell who burned someones head...and im not talking about your skull.

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

jones059, which processor did you opt for in the end?

PYROTAK, is that a 'Private' joke?

6. jones059

P8RSON, I got the low-end one: 1.66 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz. ~$1660 from govconnection.com, using my academic discount ('cause Newegg was still out of stock when I finally said "oh HECK" and hit the "Buy" button, and then they got restocked like six hours later, and if I'd only waited and ordered from them I'd've saved a hundred bucks in tax, grrrr).

And as an addendum on the heat issue: I've now been running it for a couple of hours on battery, and far from being troublesomely hot, I would say if anything it's running cool -- significantly cooler than my old Acer c110. Needless to say, this makes me VERY happy. (Oh, and I haven't changed any of the power settings, those are the same as they came from the factory.) And it is as close to dead silent as a computer can get, which matters to me because I'm going to use it a lot for notetaking in meetings.

The only thing I have left to wish is that this were a pound or so lighter, but otherwise I couldn't be more pleased with the T4210.

7. NewbieX

NewbieX Pen Pal - Newbie

I wonder if it's cool (temperature-wise) because you got the slowest processor. Hmm...

8. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

:D, yeah that was the funniest story i think i ever read. "Man gets 3rd degree burn..."

9. Madcap

Madcap Pen Pal - Newbie

well it's nice to hear that the heat isn't to big an issue, though with mine configured as being the best it can, i hope the better parts won't make it too much hotter. As for me; my tablet just shipped today. I expectit to arrive next week, probably wednesday... :( *sits in corner and rocks back and forth waiting for tablet (now two weeks)*

10. Madcap

Madcap Pen Pal - Newbie

Shipping post updated~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.