Just ordered Cintiq Companion 2.Should I update to Windows 10? Plz help!

Discussion in 'Artists' started by bloodedemon, Dec 30, 2015.

1. bloodedemon

bloodedemon Pen Pal - Newbie

Greetings to you all and happy Holidays!!

This is my first post, as well as my first Cintiq Companion 2. :)

I ordered the Core i7 model with 16GB ram and 512GB hard drive.

I had a few questions that I didn't get answered by customer service and was hoping you good folks would be able to help me out on to help improve my initial experience.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Or wait? Can i go to Windows 8.1 with a better result?

If I do upgrade, is there a better process to go about it? Should I do a complete wipe and then upgrade, and then do Wacoms re-enablement of there cintiq drivers. Or something else?

What and Where are all the drivers that need upgraded?

Is there any problems with Photoshop or any other 2d drawing/painting application I should be aware of? Which ones work the best?

Has anyone hooked this thing to a TV and played movies out of it?

Are there other CC2 forms out there that are active?

Are there accessories that would be good to have? Would love to get a backpack to carry it in but not sure on the CC2 size. Is it comparable to a 15 inch ? Or a 17 inch? A portable keyboard?

Thanks anyone who takes the time to read this and answer! Sorry for being long winded.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd stick with 8.1 for now. Windows 10 loses some of the tablet functions. Photoshop will run fine regardless. I've got the i5 CC2 and I'm still using Windows 8.1, Photoshop CC runs like a champ.

3. Trevor Dennis

Trevor Dennis Pen Pal - Newbie

I hadn't heard that. What in particular stops working? (And yes, I have Windows 10 on my CC2, but I don't use it much)

4. LunaP

LunaP Pen Pal - Newbie

According to many user reports on the Wacom EU forums, windows 10 improved the device significantly + for those that are somehow bothered by fan noises, they barely kick on much, and device runs more efficiently.

Heard 0 issues about losing functionality.

5. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Not true in my experience, it more loud on 10 because of forced updates. On 8 I could do them when I wanted. Also, since upgrading to 10, I've had allot of stability issues in photoshop. I'm going back to 8.

Fans are still loud in Windows 1o. No difference for me.

6. LunaP

LunaP Pen Pal - Newbie

You can disable automatic updates, and its recommended everywhere to disable hardware updates so that it only focuses on windows upgrade packs.

For me 10 made my CC2 run much better and no issues w/ photoshop. Did you ensure to update your CC2 drivers? The latest release fixed the photoshop issue across 7-10.
    A lot of it has to do with how you tweak your system, however I definitely noticed improved battery on mine.

My replacement should be arriving today, so I'll probably run side by side tests since mine has 10 and the replacement has 8.1

After which I'll be installing my new wifi card/950 pro(512gb) and Mem(16gb), and swapping out the screen protector w/ a much better one.

Any tests you'd like me to perform?

I own CSP, CS6, Maya, Paint Sai, and Illustrator, I can run a side by side comparison.

I own the CC2 8gb variant btw (same specs as tge 16gb as far as cpu/gpu goes just half the ram/HD space) saved money buy going w/ the cheaper model and buying the parts myself.

7. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

thats great glad you like it. i mostly liked the ability to control windows updates better on 8. you can only disable automatic updates on metered connections. also onedrive took away the ability to pause updating, this sucks because i only have a metered connection. i have to manually exit the program until i get to the library for cloud back up.

i still dont buy the myth that windows 10 magically makes the cc2 more quiet. mine is still hot and loud just like it was on windows 8. the battery life still sucks, im lucky to get 3-4 hours. just like windows 8.

i have the latest drivers, and the latest photoshop CC. perhaps i just paint in a different way than you. i tend to use huge brushes and large canvas sizes. i do allot of photobashing, 3d elements, blend modes. i get one or two crashes a day on photoshop. i save religiously because of it. it could just be photoshop though, i might be having the same issues if i was still on windows 8- who knows.

im praying apple releases a pen tablet with osx, the CC2 is junk. mines already been replaced twice. im getting worried, my warranty is almost up. they offer no extended warranty in the USA, i cant be without a machine for school and work. probably just going to sell mine and get another band with a better warranty. just look at wacom forums. they have so many quality control issues.

8. LunaP

LunaP Pen Pal - Newbie

If you'd like I can provide you with tutorials on how to configure Windows 10, including updates, one drive ( disabling ) and all the other features 8 had. You have more control than you may be aware of.

You can also install OSX on your CC2 people have been doing it for a couple years now, and plenty of tutorials online on how to do so. As for the crashing, I'd check event viewer as that sounds like something else that may be affecting it.

9. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

thanks, last time i check onedrive had removed the pause updating feature, so now i just exit the program. i got this info from microsofts site. this works most of the time until i reboot and forget to exit and it eats a hundred dollars of data in a half hour or so. Edit: just found a feature to disable onedrive upon startup. so now i can just manually run it when i am on a un-metered connection.

i was thinking about doing the OSX swap, just have not had time and last i check there was still a few missing features. i would rather do dual boot (OSX and windows)- not sure if this is possible.

i should check out the event viewer, im just to busy i have to make money doing art not chasing bugs. last time i looked it was the graphics driver errors- IIRC

i spent tons of time tweaking 8 a year ago even doing underclocking. it never yielded much battery life but i did make more quiet running modes- but at the expense of performance. I posted all that in the main CC2 thread. I was using intel XTU. By all means if you know how to make it silent please post so everyone can benefit!

just now sitting here in chrome the fans just kicked on to the middle setting. the screen is pretty warm, while im in a cold AC controlled room. not quiet.

ever tried to do plein air painting in the summer on a cc2? it overheats and shuts off in a half hour! while in the shade. lol. too hot to hold!

10. icecoldart

icecoldart Pen Pal - Newbie

Then get yourself some watercolours or gouache or oil paints and do plein aire with those like I do, no overheating whatsoever ; )

(Seriously you'll learn to make more consious decisions having no undo button, plus a limited palette will help you understand colour theroy more as you have to mix your own instead of having them sitting on a "silver plate" )

Anyhoot I was wondering if it's really worth getting the companion 2 or not, I've waited all this time since launch in hope that Waterclosetcom would update their companions with skylake chips which would help with heat/fan noise and battery issues.
    Yet now I'm starting to believe that WC simply doesnt give a sh*t,
    They still have little competition and since the entire industry will buy their products anyway they feel safe and just count their money.

Having a mac surface pro like device would be awesome, but it's not going to happen, atleast not soon. Since then apple would have to admit they were wrong and that the ipads pro are not good enough to replace your tablet pc.

There is a chance that samsung will utilise their technology since it has some shares in WC and create a surface competitor with enough power.

Ehh, the tehcnology went so far ahead and yet we artists are still waiting for our holy grail, It's so, sooo close yet still far away since the big decisions lay in the hands of pople who don't really treat us with enough respect.

Anyhow If I'll buy the i3 which should be enough to dome some concept/preliminary sketches along with uc logic stand for its artisul 13 it should still be a reasonable solution. Although knowing wacom something will probably break or stop charging after some use heh.