Just my luck : /

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by rgongora, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rgongora

rgongora HP Geek.

:confused: A slate 500 has been allocatedfor my order but the second AC adapter is backordered. I selected to ship everything together rather than seperate, Hopefully this doesnt delay me to much. Dieing to get my hands on this thing and replace my Mini 2140 with it. :)

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Now that they're selling these retail, you would think that parts and accessories would be available. Hard to believe I've had mine for nearly 6 months.

Bronsky:cool:

3. rgongora

rgongora HP Geek.

6 months, wow. I am not used to purchasing items that are not JUST RELEASED.. But I've wanted this tablet for a while already. Hows do you feel about the purchase 6 month later? Do tell!? Still happy with he purchase? Hope so!

I think i own 1 of every HP product, the ones I REALLY want to get here quick seem to take forever, the others seem to arrive when I select "Finalize purchase". I'm like a kid on Christmas eve for this tab, can't arrive quick enough!

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Here's my 16 week review. http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/228350-post1.html I would say that there are 4 updates I would make to that.

First, my Fuji cap finally broke.:( I think the plastic cap is just underdesigned and needs to be replaced by N-Trig.

Second, the Autoink/Acrobat combination prooved to be too power hungry. The pen worked perfectly in non-demanding situations and in others, like writing in the transition zone near off screen portions of a document, the slate could not refresh fast enough to keep writing smooth. I think it is a CPU power issue with Acrobat/Autoink rather than an N-Trig driver problem. I decided not to buy Autoink after the trial and went to PDF Annotator which I got on sale at a great price;). It provides the best all around inking on my slate. I use it for everything, even note-taking.

Third, my predictions about the development of faster, more powerful slates over this year seems overly optomistic to me in hindsight. The heat issue seems to be a real wall for W7 slate designers and I simply don't want a tablet with a fan. For now, it looks like the Atom is the power of choice for Windows Tablets. I don't expect to see anything that Wows me by CES next January and I think I'll probably be using this slate for longer than I originally expected. I am fairly sure that I'll be buying the extended carepack.

With all of its shortcomings, I still love my slate. I use it all the time. I take it everywhere. I have instant access to all of my current files no matter where I am and I can research anything I need at any time. It is a great device. It has also been a tank. I have had no problems with mine (other than the broken pen caps - Rick sent me an aluminum one) and some minor scratching because the elastic holding the pen in the folio is too short. Other than that, I get a steady 8 hour workday on my slate by sleeping it when it is not in use. It gets slipped into my briefcase no matter where I go, along with my leather/yellowpad folio. I think the fanless/ventless design also keeps dirt out of the slate when it is sitting in my briefcase or in my car.

I could not find a screen protector that I felt did not interfere with the pen/touch. I have been au natural for the entire time and I have about 3 scratches that I can see. The display has held up well.

So, the last thing I would modify is my score for the slate. After nearly 6 months, I would up-it from 4.2 to 4.4 based on the durability it is showing.

To be sure, I'm still looking for more power, a better display, etc., but my current slate is performing well and without complaint. It was a very worthwhile investment.

Bronsky:cool:

5. rgongora

rgongora HP Geek.

Excellent and informative post + Link, Thanks for this!

I am not looking for a power-house system, I mainly ordered this because I have been attending more and more meetings lately and wanted to save a few trees by using it to take notes with :)

Other than that function it will be replacing my netbook which does light duty with office 2010, VPN into the corp-net for email and some administrative stuff; Can we say employee tracking?! lol

Then of course the usual.. Music, Video, Netflix, IM and FB when lounging around the house. I am thinking of possibly a Linux VM exclusively for browsing, to keep the host system integrity intact though I do not know how well this will go with 2gb Ram.

For anything needing more muscle I swap over to the i7 with 18gb ram. I use this to run multiple locally stored VMs which is why I stacked the memory up. I hardly use the host system itself for anything other than VMWare.

Again, Thanks for the info! very appreciated!
    ~Roy

6. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

I've got my Slate but I am also waiting on a second power supply. Here's the history of changes in my planned delivery date:

Mar 27 changed to May 16
    Mar 31 changed to Apr 20
    Apr 16 changed to May 4
    Apr 20 changed to Apr 20
    Apr 21 changed to Apr 21
    Apr 22 changed to May 6
    May 2 changed to May 16

Is is just me or does HP seem to be randomly generating these?

7. krelvinaz

krelvinaz Systems Analyst

Random or not, it is ridiculous to have to wait that long for a power supply.

I love my slate, does pretty much what I need it to do, but having to wait for parts like that make it hard to recommend in a business environment.

I understood why there were shortages of the product in the beginning, but this is pretty late in the game to still be having supply issues I think.

8. Boyd

Boyd Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys - new slate owner here. :) FWIW, I ordered mine from Amazon (sold and delivered by Amazon) and had it the next day. Even better, I was able to pay for the purchase with American Express Rewards. I don't know if Amazon would also be faster to ship accessories, but the experience with ordering the computer was very good.

9. rgongora

rgongora HP Geek.

I could have gotten this through a 3rd party however I only order through hp themselves. Whats better for HP is better for me! I have one of those @hp.com emails, ya know? :) lol

10. Boyd

Boyd Pen Pal - Newbie

Cool. But maybe there's somebody else out there who prefers not to wait forever to get a slate? Just thought I'd point out that they are in stock and shipping elsewhere. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.