just got my Venue Pro 11

Discussion in 'Dell' started by yb8438, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

There were no scratches or dents on mine, it looks brand new except for a sticker on the back that says Refurbed (which I removed). Mine came with the A11 BIOS. There were no fingerprints on any of the metallic parts behind the cover. So it looks good.

There was a coupon on the Dell Outlet Facebook page last week. There's been constant discounts of 25% to 30% for the tablet from May and June.

2. zoxxo

zoxxo Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, I got my tablet back from repair. They fixed the back cover problem, but for the freezing issues, all they did was to reset the tablet back to factory condition. I basically spent a day re-configuring the tablet with apps, drivers, etc. to get it where I wanted it to be. What was really funny/odd is that Dell's repair depot did not update the tablet firmware/drivers to the latest release--I had to do that myself. But all is well now...

So I've installed the huawei me906v GSM module and I have it up and running on T-Mobile with no problems. But being the gadgeteer/tinkerer that I am, I'm wondering if anyone has updated the SSD or the memory of their V11P? I don't think the memory can be updated (I could be wrong), but it appears that the SSD can be changed out. I'm still putting this tablet through the ringer to see what I can do with it, but I would like to be able to update the SSD in the future (or now), if I need more space...

3. tsog

tsog Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got a refurb i5/8GB/256GB with the 30% coupon as well (coming from a Transformer T100 and old Zenbook). Got a mobile keyboard to go with it and so far it's been pretty nice. Been installing updates and drivers, and so far I have a few questions:
    1. Is there an option to disable the touchpad on the mobile keyboard while I have a mouse plugged in?
    2. Is there a generic folio sleeve for the 7130? The only one I can find is the official Dell one and I'd prefer not to pay that much if I can help it.
    3. Does anyone have experience with this seller/WWAN card? AFAIK that is the correct part to after-market upgrade the 7130. Aliexpress.com : Buy Sierra Gobi5000 EM7355 LTE/EVDO/HSPA+ 42Mbps NGFF Card 4G Module for Lenovo Thinkpad T431s T440 T440s T440p T540P W540 X240 from Reliable fru 92p1137 suppliers on ESOON NB Parts Monopoly store
    4. Is there any benefit in using Intel Rapid Start over Windows's default implementation of sleep? I tried installing Rapid Start but it said that my system does not meet the minimal requirement, and the Rapid Start option is grayed out in the BIOS.

Thanks

4. DanielNTX

5. zoxxo

zoxxo Pen Pal - Newbie

1. Not sure. I have the desktop dock and the screen is still active but does not bother me.

2. I ended up buying this sleeve from Amazon. It gives me basic protection from scratches, but nothing more. There were many suggestions here in the forum, but none of them were very appealing to me.

3. The seller looks like they're a store front on eBay. If that's the case, then you have basic coverage. If you use a credit card or PayPal, then you have more protection in place. I ended up buying the Huawii card from a Chinese vendor through eBay. Got the card fast and it worked just fine. What cell provider do you plan on using? Funny thing was the sales person from Dell told me that broadband was not available in my configuration and that the tablet could not be upgraded. Funny how it's working just fine on T-Mobile right now... :cool:

4. I haven't found any benefit to Rapid Start. My understanding is that it creates space on your drive to speed the loading of the OS. This is kind of moot since the tablet runs off of an SSD. I think you'll be fine in it's current configuration...

I'm kind of jealous of you guys. When I bought my tablet, I paid more for less. I have an i5/4GB/128GB. At the time, it was the best option that Dell was selling. It's working just fine, but I've actually been considering selling my current tablet and buying one of the refurbs...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. tsog

tsog Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for answering.

I'll likely bite the bullet and buy the Dell folio as I want the folio option more. Want to be able to prop up my tablet without a keyboard/dock on the go.

Good to know there's another card that works besides the Sierra Wireless one. I might tether (app/root) to save the cost of adding a tablet plan, but it's definitely an interesting option. Do you know if you can use T-Mobile's unlimited mobile data plans for the tablet instead of getting a dedicated tablet data plan? Does T-Mobile catch you if you use a phone SIM on the tablet?

I miss the low drain/fast resume of connected standby, so I was looking into using Rapid Start as a replacement. AFAIK it's basically hibernate but clears some reserved memory before flushing to disk, so resume time should be slightly faster than hibernate's. Surprisingly, so far it feels like the DV11P takes longer to resume from sleep than my T100; there's roughly a one second delay after pressing the button (which itself requires a half second hold for the vibration) before the lock screen shows up, whereas the T100 brings up the lock screen in what feels like 300ms at most after pressing the button. I still need to do some more tests to see what is the sleep drain rate on the DV11P.

I thought Dell Business had the 8GB option all along? This brochure from 2013 mentions 8GB: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/1058/55...re/en/Documents/dell-venue-11pro-brochure.pdf

i5/4GB/128GB is still very good spec, at least on par with many Haswell tablets (Surface Pro 2, Split x2, Transformer Book T300).

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes the i5/8GB/256GB spec was available when it was on pre-order in November. I ordered it then and got it the first week of January. On the first day, I didn't see it on the regular Dell site, but did see it on the Business site. I called and they ordered it for me no problem. So yes, it's always been available from day one.

And it's been ..2 weeks... ? since I installed those drivers and updates along with the A12.. *knock on wood* the device is working like a champ. No complaints and since my setup doesn't support connected standby anyways, I'm fine with it taking a second or two to boot up. Even a few seconds after I haven't used it for over four hours coming out of hibernate. I'm not one of those that needs instant on and I have a few Android tablets that do it. I'm fine with it taking a little time. Not like it's 45 seconds like some PCs with old hard drives :)

8. liftbikerun

liftbikerun Pen Pal - Newbie

Welp, received my tablet, I ordered the i5 4300y, 8GB, 256, and received a one with a 4210y, 4GB and 256, which dell for an hour, 3 different departments, is what I ordered, but my invoice very clearly states I ordered the 4300y, 8gigs and 256.

They also are telling me they won't/can't do an exchange for the correct item as the Service Tags match in the bios and on my invoice, but the parts IN the Venue do not. I heard horror stories of Dell Support, I should have listened.

9. DanielNTX

If it doesn't match what's in your order invoice, have them take it back. I've not had a problem with Dell correcting their mistakes.

10. liftbikerun

liftbikerun Pen Pal - Newbie

Just annoyed, spent an entire hour talking to 4 different departments, each department pointed the finger at the other, of course the calls are outsourced, finally they said they would exchange it, but it would take 7 - 10 days for that to happen, so now I am stuck for another 2 weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.