just got my Venue Pro 11

Discussion in 'Dell' started by yb8438, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thepinkpanter

thepinkpanter Pen Pal - Newbie

do you have the Venue 11 Pro , model 7130 ?

please keek this forum updated after the ME906V installation.

thanks for sharing

2. thepinkpanter

thepinkpanter Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you get your minicard working?
    is the Huawei ME906E installed into the Venue 11 Pro for Europe?

3. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

Yup 7130. Will update when it arrives

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

4. Rebeljuice

Rebeljuice Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got the Pro 11 5130. After updating everything I have to say I am very impressed with it. I have had no issues at all. I found a refurbished device in the outlet store for £250 so figured I would take a punt. I bought the stylus from Amazon (A01), a Perixx Bluetooth keyboard and an IVSO case along with a cheap mHDMI --> VGA adaptor for my ancient HP monitor and a 4 port USB3 hub.

I now have this set up on my desk and surprisingly have found no need to open my laptop as yet. I have been using photoshop CS3 without an issue (granted, I only use if for designing newspaper adverts and other smallish things), MS Office is smooth and fast and I use Bluefish for a bit of web development. I am contemplating installing Visual Studio 2010 but I think that may be a step too far. I don't use VS very often and only use it to maintain a Lightswitch application we use in the office. So I may just leave that on the laptop as I don't want to install VS and then find I have to uninstall it because it is too slow on the VP. So much junk and registry keys are left behind after a VS uninstall.

I have installed Artrage Pro and it runs smoothly although Im sure multi layered projects may bog the system down. The stylus is, surprisingly, very good. I knew it was hit or miss with regards to the stylus, but inking in OneNote is smooth and I do not experience any of the issues that have been reported. I have even managed to do some sketching in Artrage Pro that I am happy with. The only gripe I have with the stylus is I have to press quite hard to get good results when sketching. I wish there was a way to change the pressure sensitivity. With pressure sensitivity turned off in OneNote, there are no issues at all.

I have only played 2 games on the device so far, Portal and Half Life 2. Both run at full res without issue. Probably not a smooth as they would on my laptop, but not in anyway a hindrance either.

I have a 128gb microSD card inserted and have redirected my Documents, Downloads, Pictures and Video folders to the card as well as my Skydrive folders so as to keep the C:\ drive as clutter free as possible. So far with Photoshop, Office, Artrage, Acrobat XI, Portal, HL2, VLC, WinRAR, FDM and several metro apps, I have 27gb free on the C drive.

All in all very pleased with the device and should be able to make good use of it until such time that the desire for the SP3 overwhelms me and I buy one of those (which at current prices probably wont be until the SP4 is released!). But I so want that machine!

Luft likes this.
  5. samjambo

samjambo Pen Pal - Newbie

You are just like me. I really love my Dell Venue 11 pro but i long and lust for Surface Pro 3. The size,price and headache of having it shipped to my country are keeping me from getting the SP3.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  6. Rebeljuice

Rebeljuice Pen Pal - Newbie

Indeed. I live in Zambia so getting one shipped out here is not only logistically difficult it is also liable to go "missing" en-route. The only reason I got the DVP was because my parents came out for a visit last month and brought it with them. Not something that happens very often so I will have to wait until I am next in the real world before even contemplating an SP3.

7. samjambo

samjambo Pen Pal - Newbie

Am from Kenya. I got mine through a colleague. I had to wait 3 long months for it. I bought it on Amazon for $430 and had it shipped to where he was staying(free shipping and no sales tax). I've gotten several offers for the Dell(some guy is offering $900 for the tablet and all accessories(a 64gb SDXC,Evecase Folio Case and the Stylus). Am really doing my math to see whether the $900 can cover all the expenses.

8. larsenmm

larsenmm Pen Pal - Newbie

Dear all. Just a follow-up on my stylus problems and the DV11P. I have as many others, had problems with the stylus, and its consistency (or lack of).

In total I have been talking with Dell support about 10-15 times. I have spent approximately 10 hours at least on the phone and troubleshooting. My problems have NOT been solved, even though we have tried almost anything. Below I have tried to sketch up my experience with Dell Support here in Denmark (Scandinavia).

01-04-2014: Call. 1 hour. After checking that I had the newest drivers and battery, they shipped a new stylus shipped. Version A01. Was no different than the one I already had.
    10-04-2014: Call, 1 hour, a lot of waiting time. Support person (person 1) did not know about the tablet and its issues. They needed to call me back, as they had no solution.
    15-04-2014: Call, 1-2 hours. (person 2). Did not know about the tablet issues, but was very helpful. Proposed solution was to ship it to Dell for repair. I mentioned my concerns about the errors seen, and that it was difficult for them to see if they had fixed the problems. Sending the tablet in for repair, was the only way to move the “troubleshooting” to the next level I was told.
    24-04-2014: tablet was picked up at my office by UPS, sent to Poland I think.
    07-05-2014: Call: I called to ask how far they were with the repair. I was told that they were returning from he repair site the very same day. The support person (person 2) did not know the conclusion, but promised that if they were sending it back, they must have fixed the problems. (obviously they didn’t fix the problems)
    15-05-2014: Tablet was delivered. They swapped the motherboard and a part they call “extension”. Tablet reset.
    19-05-2014: Call (person 3): I called as the problems was not fixed. During installation of the newest panel touch firmware I had an error. After some troubleshooting over the phone, the cause of the installation error was found to be the tablet being docked in the keyboard (with battery). As soon as I un-docket the tablet, the installation went fine. After the driver update, I was told to test if the problem was still there. They would call me back the following day
    21-05-2014: Call (person 4): I called as I had not heard anything from Dell, and the problem was not solved. I spoke with the first person at Dell, which actually knew about the tablet issues. He was extremely professional, and for the first time I felt I was in good hands. I was told that they knew about the issues I had and other. Most where fixed by replacement of the whole unit. New hardware revisions have come out since I got mine, which have proved to solve many of the problems reported by customers. He apologised for the problems I have had, and he moved the support case “one step up”, where they would either replace the unit or give me my money back. I was told quite seriously, that I had every right to get my money back, if they could not find a solution to the problems. I choose to get a replacement unit, as I was happy with the form and the general tablet performance. His colleges would return with more details.
    22-05-2014: I was called up by person 3 from Dell, which did not know about my conversation with person 4. So I gave him a short summary and a reference to person 4. There was a bit confusion, and I got a bit frustrated with their professionalism (or lack of)
    27-05-2014: Person 3 called me, and said that I will get a replacement unit. My old unit is to be picked up 7-10 workdays from the phone conversation. He would write me an email confirming if it was the tablet only or if included all the purchased parts (tablet, charger, keyboard with battery, stylus).
    04-06-2014: Email from person 3, confirming that it was only the tablet that will be replaced. I wrote back with respect to the stylus, as I have seen newer revisions of the A01 stylus I current have. No answer yet.
    04-06-2014: Order confirmation received on a new tablet. (5130).

In general, Dell support people are friendly, but not always as helpful as one could wish. One, out of the four people I have spoken at length with was knowledgeable about the problems. The rest relied on what their computers were telling them, which was not much. They did not know about these support threads, and how many people around the world have problems with this product.

My patience is wearing thin, and if this replacement unit does not fix the stylus issues, I will ask for my money back!
    I hope this gives you an idea of my experience. And what you can expect if you haven’t already initiated something similar.

9. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sounds like problems with the stylus, not the tablet, but the support staff don't know what to do so they're pulling a hail marry and replacing your entire tablet. Your replacement tablet is not going to miraculously fix the problems with the stylus. It's up to Dell to fix the stylus problem, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

If you really need a working stylus I'd ask for a refund and look elsewhere. While many people have had success with this stylus, it's simply plagued by too many problems to be reliably "good". Might want to look into something with a Wacom digitizer.

10. Romer

Romer Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had both the Dell Venue 8 Pro (for my wife) and the Dell Venue 11 Pro (Baytrail) since Early December. This site helped me decide on those over the others out there. I thought I would post my experiences

I had been waiting for years for a decent Windows tablet. I thought the first gen Surface was to expensive for the battery life it gave so I passed and waited for future generations and used an ipad until late last year.

then late last year Dell Levano and others came out with baytrail tablets that ran real windows. I used this site as part of my research and bought my wife a Dell Venue 8 Pro. She was thinking of trading her Ipad in on an Ipad mini and we had to use unreliable apps so she could run stuff on the internet with flash (Games). I thought the Dell was the perfect answer.
    It was a little buggy at first, the first Windows update disabled all wifi capabilities. Using this site I quickly backed ouit the update and disabled automatic updates till I read the problem had been fixed.

The Dell Venue 8 Pro has worked great for her since then (Early December).

The 8 inch was too small for me so I purchased the Venue Pro 11 baytrail version. Other than locking up one time in 6 months, this has been a great tablet for me. I travel a lot and used it for movies, web browsing, VPNing into my work site to stay connected and keeping tabs on this site as well as others. I looked at the surface 2 Pro at that time and it seemed too much like a brick

I have been using the Dell Venue Pro while I travel as I can't take my company laptop internationally. It has held up well, but when I opened a big powerpoint and then tried to do something else it did slow down. This wasn't unexpected as it was a big file.

Essentially this is a great Tablet for web browsing, watching videos, listening to music, using Microsoft office. I did not play games so I can't comment on that

I did buy a 10Watt travel charger and found they work, but much slower than the charger provided with the Dell. I bought the Targus case with the kickstand which is like the otterbox defender and have been real happy with it. I put it in a sleeve before putting it in my briefcase

There were two things windows tablets did not have when I was looking, the lack of 802.11AC wifi. I quickly adopted my home to that and it makes a huge difference over N in streaming and moving large amounts of data across the network. The second was 4G LTE. On the 4G LTE, I find I don't use it much due to wifi in many of the places I do use it, and when I do need it, I enable my hotspot on my phone which is setup internationally for work. I saw the announcement on the Dell Venue Pro 11 with Verizon 4G and I was tempted to upgrade. It did not have the 802.11AC wifi though. I researched it and many posters on this forum talked about the baytrail being more reliable than the I3 or I5. I was looking at that along with a keyboard which I don't have. The keyboard would make using it for work on the road a lot easier

Then I saw the announcement for the Surface Pro 3 that is thinner than the 2 Pro and about the same weight as my Dell Tablet. I looked at the Surface Pro 2 when I was shopping for the Dell and it felt like a brick.

With the wifi 802.11AC being something I want for faster networking while home, movie transfers go much quicker. I took a deeper look at the surface Pro 3 and ended up pre-ordering a Surface Pro 3 today with an I5 processor 8GB of memory and 256GB of SSD storage

I was not thrilled about having to buy MS Office, but looked at the license for Office 2010 on my main computer and it allows installation on two devices, so that was a pleasant surprise

I think the Dell products are great and I have been very happy with both the Baytrail 8 and 11 Venue Pro's. I would recommend them both. As I travel more and more internationally and use the tablet more for work I thought a more powerful device with SSD instead of flash main memory would be good for me. I can't say I really need the upgrade, but then many us don't buy things because we need it.

My wife is happy with the venue 8 pro. We had given my mother in law my wifes old ipad and she doesn't use it because she can't figure it out. She has spent years learning how to use her windows laptop. So I increased the font on the 11 Pro, set it to always boot up in desktop mode and will make configure as close as I can to her laptop and we will see if she will be more comfortable with this rather than the Ipad.

I have enjoyed reading the posts on this forum. It provided the information each time I needed to make a decision

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014