just got my Venue Pro 11

Discussion in 'Dell' started by yb8438, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Fuzzyz11

Fuzzyz11 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I just picked up a Venue Pro 5130 and so far so good. Its my first time using Windows 8.1 so there's a learning but I am getting the hang of it. As far as tablets go it is light years ahead of my 1st gen iPad.

My only question so far is, how do I turn of the haptic feedback when pressing the Windows capative button? I don't know if its just my device or all Venues, but the vibration sound is way too loud. I'd be afraid to use it in a meeting or library, etc. Dell customer support didn't have a solution. Its so annoying that its almost becoming a deal breaker.

I'm still within my return period and with the price drop on the Surface Pro 1 128gb to $599 I may have to take a serious look. On that topic, has anyone owned both devices? What are your thoughts? Besides the extra weight and poor battery it almost now seems like a bargain compared to the Venue. The price difference alone I would spend on a micro SD and stylus trying to upgrade the venue.

The atom Venue so far appears to meet all my needs besides storage so I am torn. Office, email, music/videos, etc.

2. MorningZ

MorningZ Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got off the phone with Dell to return my Venue 11. I was experiencing random lockups, unresponsive touch screens, and the weirdest thing of all, random times where the tablet would just turn itself on, I don't really understand that one unless it was waking up for Windows Update or something.

All in all I dipped my toes in the water to go back to Windows, and just simply didn't like what I saw above and beyond the hardware issues I was experiencing.

I *may* have thought differently if Dell had come through with the Mobile Keyboard, and more importantly, the Tablet Dock, but those are, well were, on pace to be delivered the late next week, which is outside the window I had to return the Venue in it's return policy window. If I could have just "plugged in" my Venue and had my two 22" monitors running full res and a full sized keyboard and my mouse ready to do and work (I'm a .NET programmer) that may have swayed me to keep it... ah well, i gave it a shot.

btw, the person at Dell who helped me kick off the return offered me a $120 credit to keep it (first offered $90, i said no, then he said $120), just good info to know for anyone else on the fence

crashsuit likes this.
  3. D4rk_nVidia

D4rk_nVidia Pen Pal - Newbie

If you dont need the performance from Surface Pro you can keep the Venue 11 Pro in my opinion.
    The Suraface has an active cooling, weight more and the battery life is not so high.

But I like the kickstand from Surface :D So I hoped for an Atom Model from Microsoft but It dosent look like that and there isnt any other interisting tablet pc.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  4. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Scribbler - Standard Member

Shame Dell could not sort their act out delivering the accessories with your tablet. I myself got the dock straight after ordering in late Nov. Still no Venue however both orders delayed 2 months. I canceled both my orders a i5/8GB/256GB and bay trail (over 2k euros worth) and never once did Dell try and get me to keep my order or offer discounts. Nothing. Infact they were more than happy to cancel. This is Dell Spain / Europe however which seems to run from a small shed out the back of a old rundown warehouse, with only 3 staff members.

I recommend getting the Surface 2 Pro, the dock might not be as good. And no chiclet style battery keyboard. But they also have newer i5 4500U cpu upgrades now coming out. An upgrade Mircosoft has not announced, just an upgrade on the sly. Possibly to fix i5 4200U issues? its more powerful now and has a kickstand to help combat its heavier weight. Worth a look as Dell has messed up the Venue 11 launch big time.

crashsuit likes this.
  5. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

That's what I am doing. I have visual studio 2013 installed and a hyper v instance for some vpn to clients and a sql server all running on the 11 pro. The 8gb really helps.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

6. MorningZ

MorningZ Pen Pal - Newbie

the Surface Pro 2 was something I looked at, but the lack of ability to push two external monitors was a deal killer

I ordered a 13" Macbook Retina today as my main work machine, it'll be here on Thurs or Friday... I'll continue to use Parallels (which I've been using for the past few years) and there is a fresh install of Windows 2012 R2 server in a virtual machine with Studio 2013 installed too.....

7. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I also looked at the Surface Pro 2 but didn't like the keyboard as much as i do the Venue 11 Pro and I liked that the Dell Venue 11 Pro has a regular micro-USB port as a charging port than something proprietary.

I just actually did a small emergency fix for a client using the Venue 11 Pro. I'm quite happy so far.

8. cosyn

cosyn Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tried spanning their C drive to include the microSD? Spanning is a way of increasing the C drive's effective capacity.

I was able to do this on my old HP Slate by converting the internal volume to a Dynamic disk and then spanning the volume to include the SD card. And I could do this without losing any files.

On my Venue 11 Pro 7130, the SSD shows up as a Basic disk and the option to convert it to a Dynamic disk is grayed out. And what gives with the 8GB unused partition?

disk manager.JPG

Thx

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    crashsuit likes this.
  9. panzer06

panzer06 Pen Pal - Newbie

I wouldn't think that would work (and even if it did why?) as the sd card is much slower than ssd.

I did make the sd card a directory under c instead of assigning it a separate drive letter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

crashsuit likes this.
  10. cosyn

cosyn Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I had considered the speed difference but have already filled my ssd with all the programs I need for rapid access. I mainly need extra capacity for offline files synch with my home file server. Since the microSD access speed is 90MB/sec but the 7130 only has 802.11G at 7MB/sec (not ac like the 7139) and the docking station only has Fast Ethernet at 13MB/sec, it wouldn't hurt to have reaming files synch at slower-than-SSD speeds. I could move the CSC to the microSD but then I'd be further capped by capacity since the CSC can't increase in size without spanning.